Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping for the last couple of months looking for my first Porsche, a 2006 or 2007 Cayman. One thing I've noticed on pretty much every one I've looked at either in person or online is that the inside door handles have the silver paint coming off. So I got to thinking, what kind of replacements are there out there? You can buy brand new OEM silver painted ones for about $300/pair. I've found a company that will custom paint them for you if you send them your old ones, costing about $350/pair. I've also found the MA Carbon ones that run $625/pair if you send them your old ones ($925/pair if you keep the old ones), if you like the carbon fiber look (I don't).

The one thing I haven't seen are aluminum ones. I looked. A lot. Didn't find any. So I decided to see what it would take to make them. I figured I can't be the only one interested in this. In doing so, I found out why no one else is doing it. It's really expensive.

So I'm wondering, would you be interested in replacement handles machined from a solid chunk of aluminum? They would be the same shape and size (I love the design of the originals, just not the finish quality)CNC machined, finished with a bead blast to make them look pretty close to the silver painted handles and existing trim, and clear anodized. How much would you be willing to pay for them? $2000/pair? I know thats a lot, but that's about what it would cost per pair, and trust me, I would not be getting rich off that. If I can get 100 people at $2000/pair, we can go into production.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Administrator
34,502 Posts
Don't forget it is Ok to ask for member input on some venture that you want to start, but at some point if you start up and start selling them you'd need to become an advertiser/sponsor here to advertise them to our members.

Personally I wouldn't pay $2k for door handles and the paint on my 2006 ones is just fine. If made of metal those would get hot to touch on a hot day if your car has been sitting outside. Yeah I think it would be "cool" to have real metal door handles, but I don't see people paying that price, I know I wouldn't, but that's just my opinion, others may feel differently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K-Man S,

Totally understand on the advertiser/sponsor issue.

I did think about the heat issue. Would be willing to forgo that issue for nicer looks. Also considered offering them with black powder coat. Would still get warm, but probably not as much.

Glad to hear your handles still look good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Forget handles altogether and convert to CR/B Spyder/GT3 RS pulls :D

Reactions: Boiler Inspector

·
Registered
574 Posts
^^This. /thread

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to put those in my list. While I think they can look cool, not sure I would like them. It's not the easiest of conversions either (and it's not reversible if you don't like them. Different handle is 1 screw. Well, 2, since you're doing the passenger side too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
While I love CNC machined metal parts, I would not pay that price for door handles.
As you said you can buy brand new OEM replacements for about $300 - that means you could buy almost 7 pairs for two grand - or as mentioned above convert to door pulls and be done with handles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why don't you just have it sprayed to whatever colour you like ?
Mine was factory sprayed from Porsche.
Dont think it will come off if done properly.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Bruin et al:

I really dislike the cloth door pulls. If I had a Cayman R, I'd buy normal handles and replace the cloth.

I was in a hurry one day and pulled open the door with keys in my hand. Scratched the driver's side door pull. just bought a new driver's door pull from Suncoast. I would have gone to Bumper Plugs for repaint, but I didn't want to be without door handles while I waited for my repainted ones to come back.

My new door pull cost $164 plus freight. :eek: I now have a spare in case I need to get one painted someday.

I'd get them painted body color, but I have a silver Cayman, so it's already body color.

Also got a new door sill (with the hatch switches) for the driver's side. I'm forever kicking mine when I get in the car and it's become a little bit ratty after all these years. You can "buff" them out with those Mr. Clean drywall pads, but mine are past that now. I even put a small crack in mine while changing seats once. It will feel like a new car when I have these little items fixed. Woohoo.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Someone here mentioned that they used a Silver colored Sharpe to improve the worn look on the door handle. I scoffed at that idea until I saw that my wife had a Silver Sharpe, put on my desk and kept wondering if this would work. So about a month later I tried it and could not believe my eyes, when dried you could not see any difference and my wife just bought a $1.29 Sharpie.

Thanks;
Gerd

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Someone here mentioned that they used a Silver colored Sharpe to improve the worn look on the door handle. I scoffed at that idea until I saw that my wife had a Silver Sharpe, put on my desk and kept wondering if this would work. So about a month later I tried it and could not believe my eyes, when dried you could not see any difference and my wife just bought a $1.29 Sharpie.

Thanks;
Gerd
Gerd:

Wish I'd have posted before I purchased. Doh!

Great tip!!!

:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts