Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock shifter is experiencing some shifter slop/free play similar to the sloppiness noted by ICIN’s video in this thread: http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-problems-complaints/80778-shifter-slop-2.html

I am considering installing a stock GT3 shifter. Suncoast sells it for about $430 here: 997 Shift Console Upgrade:Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories
it is part number 997-424-01-091, which when I called Suncoast, they told me was the stock part for the 2010 and up GT3’s. I do not think I am interested in the short shifter, I just want less shifter slop (side to side and front to back) when a neutral and in gear. I also considered the numeric short shifter which looks nice, all metal, etc., but I rather stay with OEM parts. Also, I do not want to decrease the shift length, I just want to eliminate the slop which folks who have installed the GT3 shifter report it eliminates.

I have called several dealers in the Chicagoland area and they quote me anywhere from 3 to 4 hours for installation, or 500-$600 just for the labor. That sounds nuts to me. Therefore, I have started reviewing every article on shifter removal that I could find, including the guides here, this one (Porsche 987 Short Shift Kit DIY Guide), other articles in other boards, etc.

Question for the board is how easy/difficult is this install realistically for a person that has never installed a shifter before? I consider myself to be pretty handy, but not a “mechanic”. I have changed oil, change brake pads, change my tires seasonally, install the GT3 brake vents, etc. but I have never changed the shifter or taken my console apart. Back in the day, when I was in high school, I used to install lots of car audio equipment for fun, so I have taken apart car interiors before. I just have not done in quite a while (18+ years).

So, in short,

(1) how difficult is this install realistically for someone like myself (never done it before)?

(2) a more specific question: do I have to remove the plastic “cap” (the one with the engraved shift pattern) of the shifter boot assembly and remove the two screws (as shown here Porsche 987 Short Shift Kit DIY Guide), or as seen in other guides, will the whole boot and shifter slide out once the shifter skirt is “unclicked” from the horseshoe and rotated 90° clockwise?

All the guides make it seem pretty straightforward, but I am scared of breaking something. I am pretty anal-retentive, so in a way I would feel better do it myself knowing that I took the care and time to put the pieces back together properly so that no rattles or creaks emerge.

I’m just trying to figure out whether to shell out 550 bucks to pay the stealership to do this, or do it myself.
Thank you all. all thoughts welcomed! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
(1) how difficult is this install realistically for someone like myself (never done it before)?

I did it myself with no experience. Removal of the console is well documented and only requires 2 torx bits (forgot the sizes). It takes some time and patience but isn't difficult. I hardly swore at all :). I think about 4-5 hours the first time. Much quicker with experience. You'll end-up removing lots of screws - different sizes and lengths - so pay attention which came from where.

(2) a more specific question: do I have to remove the plastic “cap” (the one with the engraved shift pattern) of the shifter boot assembly and remove the two screws (as shown here Porsche 987 Short Shift Kit DIY Guide), or as seen in other guides, will the whole boot and shifter slide out once the shifter skirt is “unclicked” from the horseshoe and rotated 90° clockwise?

The instructions show 2 different ways to remove boot/shifter knob. You don't need to remove the cap and disassemble the knob. Just turn it 90° CW and pull up (careful not to hit your chin when it comes loose). Its very easy this way.

All the guides make it seem pretty straightforward, but I am scared of breaking something. I am pretty anal-retentive, so in a way I would feel better do it myself knowing that I took the care and time to put the pieces back together properly so that no rattles or creaks emerge.
IMHO, the GT3 doesn't eliminate slop any more than a brand-new OEM. It just holds-up longer due to a few metal parts. I kinda wish I'd gone with the SSK. Another thing to check before you get into this - make sure your slop isn't coming from the cable ends (at the tranny). One could be just holding-on by a couple strands. To replace the cables - the 1st step is the same as the shifter - removal of the console.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate it. The more think about it, the more I think that this is a project I can tackle myself. My car is almost 5 years old (about 23K mi), and I think the original shifter bushings are worn which is causing more slop than normal.

Good point regarding the shifter cables. I will get under the car this weekend and have a look. If the cables are worn or frayed, would this be something I would notice?

thanks

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You seem to be most concerned about replacing the shift mechanism. This is actually the easiest part of the job! It just bolts in.

The hard part is removing all of the interior pieces in order to gain access. The link you referred to (and other articles on this site) give good instructions on how to get it done. If you can do brake pads and install car stereos, you should be fine with this job.

Definitely have a good look at your shift cables, though, as mentioned by RSchwerer above. If you are having any thoughts about putting in the Numeric cables, this is the time to do it. You have to do all of the same removal of interior pieces.

Look at it this way: the money you save on putting in the shifter yourself will pay for the new cables!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes :cheers:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Installed the Porsche short shift kit about a year ago. The articles on this site are the key... with those in hand, you'll be fine. I'm not a mechanic, but just reasonably handy... that's the only skill you need. Taking the dash all apart, dealing with the little electrical plugs under the center console, prying a little with some trim tools... that's all just tedious stuff, but not difficult. The worst that can happen is you give up and put it all back together in reverse, but that won't happen.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Great replies to your question already. I have done over 6 shifter exchanges and now I can do it within 1.5hours easily. It took me a long time, first time! But it's just a matter of reading all the how-tos and comments, and taking your time. Silly things like getting the handbrake lever in the right position to remove the console, or forgetting to unplug the console wiring harness before lifting it over the shift lever--that's what you'll deal with! I'd also recommend the GT3 SSK, as it's about the best option of them all (except for the totally serious and ridiculous CAE shifter I had! -- see my posts on extreme shifter mod).
I highly recommend you do this yourself. It's quite a satisfying DYI job, and saves lots of shop time at $100+ per hour. Good luck.

How's that for a shifter?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great replies to your question already. I have done over 6 shifter exchanges and now I can do it within 1.5hours easily. It took me a long time, first time! But it's just a matter of reading all the how-tos and comments, and taking your time. Silly things like getting the handbrake lever in the right position to remove the console, or forgetting to unplug the console wiring harness before lifting it over the shift lever--that's what you'll deal with! I'd also recommend the GT3 SSK, as it's about the best option of them all (except for the totally serious and ridiculous CAE shifter I had! -- see my posts on extreme shifter mod).
I highly recommend you do this yourself. It's quite a satisfying DYI job, and saves lots of shop time at $100+ per hour. Good luck.

How's that for a shifter?
Thanks Dr. Phil. HOLY @#IT! what is that?!?!?!? that looks like one bad arse shifter. amazing if I were DE'ing the car more frequently (I only get 1-2 per season)

I'll tackle the shifter install myself ... you guys have given me the confidence. and knowing how A-retentive I am, I'm sure I'll take my time to not break any tabs, trim pieces, etc.

Now, you mention there is a GT3 specific SSK? all I've seen is the "regular" GT3 shifter with metal bushings, with the SSK being just the regular 997/987 model that still retains the crappy plastic bushings. Am I understanding correctly that there is a GTS SSK WITH metal bushings? if so, can you share the part number?

thank you all!! :cheers:

Reactions: Josif

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have you considered the Numeric? It's all metal and has 3 different throw options.
And as I mentioned in another thread, you might as well replace the shift cables(also with numeric cables) while you have everything disassembled.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's kind of an easy job, removing the center console requires a few bolts and screws and clips to be popped .. but overall it's not bad.
If you were local I would have helped you. Also if you want a stock shifter I still have mine, I swapped it with a short shifter when the car was almost new if you're interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey drPhilGandini, you never replied on the issue of a GT23 SSK shifter. Does anyone know if there is a short shifter (SSK) version of the GT3 shifter???
Thanks Dr. Phil. HOLY @#IT! what is that?!?!?!? that looks like one bad arse shifter. amazing if I were DE'ing the car more frequently (I only get 1-2 per season)

I'll tackle the shifter install myself ... you guys have given me the confidence. and knowing how A-retentive I am, I'm sure I'll take my time to not break any tabs, trim pieces, etc.

Now, you mention there is a GT3 specific SSK? all I've seen is the "regular" GT3 shifter with metal bushings, with the SSK being just the regular 997/987 model that still retains the crappy plastic bushings. Am I understanding correctly that there is a GTS SSK WITH metal bushings? if so, can you share the part number?

thank you all!! :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts