Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I may be purchasing a center exhaust tip section such as a Dream2 or similar for a Cayman GTS. With regards to the installation I would like to know if any member has done this. My main question is if there is enough play between the mufflers after removing the center exhaust section so I can install the center section without having to remove one of the mufflers. Any additional tips to make this job easier would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think you need to remove one of the mufflers. I just took it to an independent shop since I was too lazy and didn't have access to a lift.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I installed a Dream2 my 2014 981. You have to disconnect one side up to the header flange. The reason is to give yourself enough slack to slide the old tip off and the new tip on. It is relatively easy if you can raise the rear of the car to give yourself room to work.

There is a pipe that comes out of each muffler that connects the two mufflers to the two inlet pipes on the tip. There are two clamps there. There is also a cross-pipe just above the tip that connects the two mufflers. There are two clamps there. There is another clamp just where the exhaust pipe goes into the inlet of the muffler. There is a clamp there and that part acts like an exhaust hanger.

This is how I did mine.

1. For this explanation let's assume you are going to loosen the right side exhaust-passenger side-and leave the left side completely rigid and connected. Use some kind of lube so things come apart easier specially if the
system is old and there is a lot of rust.
2. Loosen the four clamps at the cross-pipe and the tip inlets. At this point the tip will rotate up and down.
3. Slide the old tip as far as you can towards the left muffler. Do the same with the cross-pipe.
4. Loosen two header flange bolts which allows you to disconnect the exhaust pipe from the header . There is a metal gasket there so keep track of that.
5. Loosen the exhaust hanger clamp.
6. Now slide the whole right side muffler/exhaust off the cross-pipe and the tip. As you are rotating the muffler/exhaust you will have to hold or possibly clamp the tip and cross-pipe to the left muffler to keep it rigid while
you are trying to slide the right side off.
7. Now that the right side muffler/exhaust is off just remove the old tip and install the new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts