Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just got an aftermarket screen installed in my '06 Cayman S which has BOSE and I thought I'd share the results with you all. I did this to add bluetooth calling and music streaming. I had them install a flush mount aux and usb input in the passenger's footwell 12V slot. I plug the cables in there and then just sit my phone in the shifter cubby. The picture near my rearview mirror shows where the mic is.

Pros:
-Bluetooth calling is a vast improvement. I used to always get complaints on speaker phone and now calling is a breeze for me and them.
-I wanted to be able to stream spotify over bluetooth and this works very well.

Cons:
-The unit I bought doesn't fit perfectly flush and the mic is visible but it isn't bad enough that it bothers me.

Overall, I am very pleased and would strongly recommend it. I'm happy to give more info if anyone has questions for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how's it sound with stock Bose? any improvement in quality?
My friend and I both think the bass sounds a little cleaner. Overall, I'm happy with the sound quality. Another plus is not having to deal with the impossibly small radio preset buttons on the CDR-24. The unit I installed is a Sony XAV-701HD. I have an android phone and quickly found out most head units are tailored to iPhones. This one is slightly more friendly for iPhones but still is great for my android.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Very nice upgrade/update! My 2014 CS has the Pioneer AVICS-X850BT w backup camera and JL Labs Amps and subwoofer, installed by original owner. It didn't have Bose. Does the Sony have the backup camera?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice upgrade/update! My 2014 CS has the Pioneer AVICS-X850BT w backup camera and JL Labs Amps and subwoofer, installed by original owner. It didn't have Bose. Does the Sony have the backup camera?
Thanks! My Sony unit is compatible with backup cameras but I didn't buy one for this install. Starting to wish I did but oh well.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yes, it was strangely the most expensive part of the whole thing. Both Amazon and eBay were selling it new but eBay had it for 50 bucks cheaper.
One reason I've hesitated to change my HU is the high cost of the MOST module. The bezel kit is reasonable, but not the module.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Kansas,
That's very cool. I would love to do something like this on my 08 that has the factory Bose setup. :dance:

Basically, we need the EuroSpeed MOST Kit for Bose (~$750), and a double Din stereo (~$450-$950), correct?

Hey, just got an aftermarket screen installed in my '06 Cayman S which has BOSE and I thought I'd share the results with you all. I did this to add bluetooth calling and music streaming. I had them install a flush mount aux and usb input in the passenger's footwell 12V slot. I plug the cables in there and then just sit my phone in the shifter cubby. The picture near my rearview mirror shows where the mic is.

Pros:
-Bluetooth calling is a vast improvement. I used to always get complaints on speaker phone and now calling is a breeze for me and them.
-I wanted to be able to stream spotify over bluetooth and this works very well.

Cons:
-The unit I bought doesn't fit perfectly flush and the mic is visible but it isn't bad enough that it bothers me.

Overall, I am very pleased and would strongly recommend it. I'm happy to give more info if anyone has questions for me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
DMC,

That is correct. I just replaced mine with the Eurospeed kit and the Parrot Asteroid Smart (Android OS). For the most part I've been really happy with it. I tether the wifi off my phone and just stream spotify all the time. The total cost was just under $1300.

Did anyone install the backup camera themselves. I installed the stereo but I've been reluctant to try and remove all the paneling required to run a hard line to back for the camera. Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to end up breaking any clips or have loose panels after install.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Did anyone install the backup camera themselves. I installed the stereo but I've been reluctant to try and remove all the paneling required to run a hard line to back for the camera. Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to end up breaking any clips or have loose panels after install.
I have not installed a backup camera, but I did just replace my shifter cables, which includes pretty much all the same interior disassembly. It was not bad at all. There are good articles here with instructions, just do it with care and in the right order. I did invest a couple of bucks on plastic pry tools to remove the clipped-in pieces. This turned out to be a smart move.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When you upgrade from a CDR-24 to a PCM or aftermarket HU/Nav, do you need to install any of the following?
1) GPS antenna for the Nav?
2) A mic for bluetooth phone, Siri, etc?

The CDR-24 doesn't use these, so I am wondering if the car has these, or if they have to be added with the new HU?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yes to both. Not that hard. The GPS antenna can be hidden under the front windshield wiper cowling. There are rubber grommets in the firewall that you can poke a small hole through (then seal with silicone). And it is fairly easy to run the mic to various locations - just tuck the wire under the trim. I ended up putting mine near the homelink buttons,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do the GPS Antenna and Mic come with the HU, or do they need to be bought separately?

Yes to both. Not that hard. The GPS antenna can be hidden under the front windshield wiper cowling. There are rubber grommets in the firewall that you can poke a small hole through (then seal with silicone). And it is fairly easy to run the mic to various locations - just tuck the wire under the trim. I ended up putting mine near the homelink buttons,

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Do the GPS Antenna and Mic come with the HU, or do they need to be bought separately?
Yes, they come with the HU. I've heard of some people buying a better mic. I don't use my phone much while driving, so I won't comment on voice quality.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, DMC. Yes, the MOST eurospeed kit and the din is all you need. I paid $750 for the kit new on ebay and got my screen used on ebay for $369. Total cost after install was just under $1500.

As for the calling voice quality, I'm very pleased with it. I hear perfectly and am told I am easy to hear.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kansas Cayman Hi!

I am in the middle of some mechanical tune ups to the car, after which I am planning to do a similar upgrade with a CarPlay capable Pioneer NEX headunit. I also have a CDR-24 w/Bose. From what I have read, if you have a Bose amp with fiber-optic interface, when you upgrade you HU, you lose almost all of the sound coming from rear speakers. Some partially solve this by setting the fader balance with a full rear bias on the stock HU before taking it out. I have spoken to Loi from Euro Motorspeed about this problem and he suggested a separate harness that would allow to swap rear speakers to an aftermarket ones to fix this problem.

If I understand correctly, the stock rear speakers are low impedance or low amperage speakers, which are fed directly by the HU, bypassing the AMP, which when wired to an upgraded HU, do not function as they should. My knowledge of stereo electronics is very limited though.

I realize in practical terms, the difference might not be noticeable with an M97 engine growling behind you. Nevertheless, have you noticed a lack of sound presence from the rear?

KM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kansas Cayman Hi!

I am in the middle of some mechanical tune ups to the car, after which I am planning to do a similar upgrade with a CarPlay capable Pioneer NEX headunit. I also have a CDR-24 w/Bose. From what I have read, if you have a Bose amp with fiber-optic interface, when you upgrade you HU, you lose almost all of the sound coming from rear speakers. Some partially solve this by setting the fader balance with a full rear bias on the stock HU before taking it out. I have spoken to Loi from Euro Motorspeed about this problem and he suggested a separate harness that would allow to swap rear speakers to an aftermarket ones to fix this problem.

If I understand correctly, the stock rear speakers are low impedance or low amperage speakers, which are fed directly by the HU, bypassing the AMP, which when wired to an upgraded HU, do not function as they should. My knowledge of stereo electronics is very limited though.

I realize in practical terms, the difference might not be noticeable with an M97 engine growling behind you. Nevertheless, have you noticed a lack of sound presence from the rear?

KM
Just for you, I opened the hatch and stuck my head by the speakers. The rear speakers seem to be working fine on mine. If there is a difference, I wouldn't say it's significant enough to buy all new speakers. I usually play my music loud when I do and I haven't noticed anything bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts