Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed this today in my 718 cayman - the instructions to get to the engine bay are very similar to this (all the same trim pieces need to come off in the same order, they just look marginally different):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czInFGZWo84

Tools needed:
Small trim tool (maybe not needed, but it helped on the pieces by the seatbelts)
T30 bit (4 screws on metal cross bar, 10 or 12 screws on engine cover)
T25 bit (4 screws on airbox)
Pliers (if you don't have a T30 allen key)
Screwdriver (for the 2 bits)

Highly Recommended:
T30 allen key (2 bolts are in a position that makes them impossible to get with a screwdriver, you need a lowprofile ratchet that can hold your T30 bit, or an allen key)

Notes:
- The video does not show this as that is a 981.1, but on the 718 (981.2) there is metal in the way of 2 of the bolts for the engine cover - this is why you need the allen key.
- Trim pieces were relatively easy to take off - watch for the small plastic "cone" looking things - those go on the ends of the trim connectors.
- The metal cross bar is easy to take off, and much harder to put on - it bends a little so I would recommend not fully tightening all 4 bolts until you have them all threaded (might make it easier). This required me using a ratchet with a T30 bit just so I could tighten, I didn't have enough torque with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noticed any difference in performance or sound??
Sound: no. I did a similar upgrade on my MK7 Golf R and didn't notice any difference in sound. But, I haven't been really on the turbo to tell yet.
Performance: hard to tell - I have only putzed around town after the install. I don't expect too much of a difference to be honest.

I wasn't as much concerned about performance as I just wanted to have an excuse to open the engine bay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sound: no. I did a similar upgrade on my MK7 Golf R and didn't notice any difference in sound. But, I haven't been really on the turbo to tell yet.
Performance: hard to tell - I have only putzed around town after the install. I don't expect too much of a difference to be honest.

I wasn't as much concerned about performance as I just wanted to have an excuse to open the engine bay.
Haha. Me too. I had the afe filter in my R, and put the BMc in my 718. No sound difference or really much for power I can tell. I put it in at 200 mile and have 6500 now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha. Me too. I had the afe filter in my R, and put the BMc in my 718. No sound difference or really much for power I can tell. I put it in at 200 mile and have 6500 now.
With the R, there was a plastic air inlet box before it connected to the airbox (with the filter) that spread across the entire top of the grill - but only 1 side was opened. One side is just sealed plastic :crazy:
A DIY upgrade is to dremel out the plastic on the other side so that you have quicker airflow to the intake.

Don't think I'll be dremeling anything on the 718 :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.