Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went with 7mm up front and 15mm in the rear. Very subtle change.
My car is lowered on PSS9's. Looks great now.

Here are the rears before and after.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks good! I've always wondered why spacers aren't installed by default. I assume there's no rubbing or anything -- is there any downside?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the downside is that you are adding weight to each corner with longer bolts and the spacers themselves. I imagine that there is some extra stress on the wheel hubs or bearings but that is just a hunch. Looks good tho, lol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well the downside is that you are adding weight to each corner with longer bolts and the spacers themselves. I imagine that there is some extra stress on the wheel hubs or bearings but that is just a hunch. Looks good tho, lol.
Ah, unsprung weight, good point.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Very nice with the 15mm - I was debating whether to go with 15mm or 18mm. Do you have any pictures of the front with the 7mm? I'm still on the fence if I want 7mm in front for reasons coal0101 mentioned (rocks kicked up on paint).

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
looks good.

I'm wondering about wider wheels (w/ correct offset of course) when I need new rubber... same effect I imagine.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have a set of 15's and I'm waiting on the 7's. After I put the stock 18's back on for the winter they looked like they needed to be further out. Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lithium, do you have a bigger picture of your avatar? is that your car? it's beautiful.

Can you post a bigger picture of your car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Adding a spacer helps fix the tucked stock wheel look immensely. In the process you need to use a longer wheel bolt to accommodate the increase of the spacer offset without neglecting wheel bolt thread safety. Adding however many MM spacer thickness, you need to added an extended wheel bolt to that number, the H&R website offers many longer bolt applications. (I am using longer H&R bolts on my rear wheels with a 7mm H&R spacer.) Don't go to big or you will damage the internal components in the wheel hub, for example the parking brake mechanics. Try to match the spacer increase to the longer wheel bolt you use.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Is there any performance/handling advantage using wheel spacers?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Is there any performance/handling advantage using wheel spacers?
None whatsoever. The increase in track width you get from spacers is so small any differences are microscopic. If you think about it, 7mm spacers increase track by only 1.4cm, while 15mm spacers increase track by 3cm. If Porsche felt that such a small increase in track would make such a significant difference in handling or performance, they would have made the car with that wide a track already.

Spacers modify a car's look and helps clear the brake calipers with certain wheels. That's it.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Then you should have left out 'none'.
No, I should have clarified. The performance/handling benefit from spacers is so small that it might as well be nothing. In a previous thread I actually posted the mathematical equation for calculating lateral acceleration for cars based on wheel track, and an increase of 3cm yielded an improvement in lateral acceleration equivalent to something like having a glass of water in the car. In other words, the improvements are so miniscule that it might as well be none. You'll get about the same difference in handling driving with an empty stomach versus after Thanksgiving dinner.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When you're leaned over in a corner I imagine it also reduces your suspension's wheel rates. Tiny differences unless you're talking 3 or 4" spacers or something. I remember seeing a wide body car with huge fenders glassed in that ran spacers like that. The effect would probably matter a lot in one of these more extreme cases.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
In a previous thread I actually posted the mathematical equation for calculating lateral acceleration for cars based on wheel track, and an increase of 3cm yielded an improvement in lateral acceleration equivalent to something like having a glass of water in the car.
I can sleep better now. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have rear spacers of mm17 on 19'' wheels: first) they look great, second) less noise on bad streets with broken asfalt...
Nothing else :kiss:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts