Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have photos of where you notched it that would be great!
Pic shows return wire DOWN on left, UP on right. Second pic is trimmed bulb base. I used tin snips and a file, lots of other folks use a dremel. I was skeptical, but XD sent a pair of extra bulbs just in case I still wanted to return the kit. Lights work fine, no codes, no flicker, nice cutoff, easy to remove.

P9290989.JPG P9290994.JPG

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just installed a set of HID 5k lights in my 15 Cayman. Install was uneventful. Tested the lights after install and they worked great. Went for a drive this morning and within a block both headlights started to go on and off. Got a message to check left and right headlights. Additionally, my windshield wiper stopped working.

I went ahead and switched out the HID lights back with the stock H7 halogens. Everything worked afterwards. Any idea of what happened?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pic shows return wire DOWN on left, UP on right. Second pic is trimmed bulb base. I used tin snips and a file, lots of other folks use a dremel. I was skeptical, but XD sent a pair of extra bulbs just in case I still wanted to return the kit. Lights work fine, no codes, no flicker, nice cutoff, easy to remove.

View attachment 185081 View attachment 185089
Did you order the H7 Ultimate Xenon Conversion Kit from Xenon Depot ? Did you have to run wires to the battery or did it come with a plug-n-play harness to the existing Halogen connector?

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you order the H7 Ultimate Xenon Conversion Kit from Xenon Depot ? Did you have to run wires to the battery or did it come with a plug-n-play harness to the existing Halogen connector?

Thanks
Al
No, I order a set of HID H7 kit from DDMtuning.com
I never had any issue with products from them before. They said I have to order something different as Porsche is very picky about aftermarket lighting kits. I ended up returning the kit and return to stock. I did not want to risk damaging anything as my car is still under warranty. Thanks.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Hey man,

This kit is a no brainer. It's more expensive than the "fake" Philips-Xenon listed on this thread by the OP, but it's worth every penny.

Just make sure you get the CANBUS/PWM adapters with the kit and you are good to go.
Do you need some extension wires to mount ballasts outside the headlights, like was originally posted?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Do you need some extension wires to mount ballasts outside the headlights, like was originally posted?
Yes! With the kit I'm currently installing, while I could make it work without extension cables, having them will make the install easier, cleaner, and more effective. Bought mine on amazon.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Yes! With the kit I'm currently installing, while I could make it work without extension cables, having them will make the install easier, cleaner, and more effective. Bought mine on amazon.
Can you give a link? And how many pieces?
I just ordered the kit from xenondepot!

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
So I got the kit from xenon depot today, and it has so many components. And about 8 possible ways to install things and different components sets. With no instructions whatsoever onto which ones do *I* need. I suspect I don't need all of them?

20180516_222639.jpg

·
Registered
279 Posts
That is correct.

You do not need the extra harness which get's wired to your battery. It should be simple plug-n-play with the CANBUS adapter going between the bulb and the existing wiring.

You will have to bore a hole in your rear housing cover so the rubber grommet can fit. If I remember correctly, use the clear plastic cover which the bulb comes in, and turn it upside down and trace the circumference of the housing onto the access cover. Then find a drill bit or something big enough to cut the traced hole. I used a 1 inch flat blade wood bit, which was smaller than the traced hole, but the grommet fit perfectly and snug. I then used the double sided tape on the big parts and stuffed them on the fender and then zip tied everything to ensure they don't flop around.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Well, none of them say "canbus adapter", but I assume it's the one that says "PWM anti-flicker" module?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I have this kit for sale in classifieds for $120! bought by mistake during shopping spree, my car already has HID!

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's holding up great. Really glad I took the time to do it. Those halogens don't belong on a car like this. It is a simple plug and play. Only thing extra is if you want to Dremel the collar so the bulb can go in upside down. That way there is no shadow in the beam pattern.

Thinking of buying that same kit muddtt. How is it holding up? It's a simple plug and play? No need to solder or mount anything on the battery?

https://www.xenondepot.com/2016-cayman-h7-hid-kit-p/2w03-0000-h7-hid-kit.htm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you for the update! Placed an order on Xenondepot's Porsche Cayman HID kit. Should arrive by this Friday. I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kit arrived in the mail. Going to install it hopefully tomorrow night.

Will post up pictures once everything's installed.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts