Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I installed Fabspeed Headers on my car, as well as the Porsche Motorsports VOS.

This was needed on my car due to two issues.

We had a crack in the stock header pipes and was getting a nice ticking sound as well as a fume leak. So on went Fabspeeds Headers. This took about 2 1/2 hours. The headers are the same DB level at idle from inside the car and outside the car at 3 feet away as the stock headers.

At open throttle it is a different story:) The sound at 3000 RPM is about 10 DB louder inside the car, so I am Sure it is more on the outside. They add a nice deep rumble to the sound and I can actually hear the turbo more.

The new VOS was needed as well. While we where on the track the membrane in the stock VOS broke, allowing about a quart of oil per every 3 laps to come out the baffle hose from the VOS. This was most likely because the car was being driven be a pro and the stock VOS could not handle the oil pressures that where being produced.

The new VOS is a dual chamber system which should solve this issue.

Attached are a few photos of the engine with the new VOS installed.

I will report back after the next track day to let you know if we have the same issues as before.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI , Yes it is, instead of putting the oily vapor back in the plenum like the stock cayman does, this red tube leads to a baffle at the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Casey!

·
caytim-s
47 Posts
FC,

I have the same issue with oil coating the under-tray and rear of the car during track sessions and was planning on installing at least a catch can, if not recycling the oil back into the system through the cooler plumbing. If the Motorsports VOS solves the problem perhaps I will do that instead. Have you tracked your car since you installed it to know how effective it is?

Cheers, Tim :cheers:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Tim, I have not had time yet to get out on the track yet :-(

I have done 2 AX events so far and before hand I cleaned off all the old oil with brake cleaner. So far not a drop has came out at all.

I did cut apart my old VOS and it was in fact a broken membrane inside. I am sure due to the large amounts of pressure from the turbo.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts

I have done 2 AX events so far and before hand I cleaned off all the old oil with brake cleaner. So far not a drop has came out at all.

I did cut apart my old VOS and it was in fact a broken membrane inside. I am sure due to the large amounts of pressure from the turbo.
The oil pressure is not effected by the turbo system. It just seems that in some cases, the VOS has been defective. The VOS on our red shop car was never repalced even after hunderds of dyno pulls and numerous hours of track time.

Mike recommends replacing it with another stock unit instead of with the Motorsports VOS.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts

Or a defective VOS, my factory one was toast and I don't have a turbo. So tell us more about this catch can/tray that your VOS vents to instead of the intake throttle body because I find that my car still takes in oil at times and perhaps I need to vent the VOS somewhere else...

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
...and what the heck are those criss-cross bands of metal? Do they keep the two halves of you engine together? Like stitches on the neck of...FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes there seems to be many failed VOS's from what I have now been hearing...

but when we had the issue, it was dumping about a quart of oil every 3 laps ( so we pulled in and put in more every 3 laps :) They did not black flag us as we told them it was just a little oil... so we would pull in , and wipe off the back of the car really fast, put more in and go out!

So far it looks like the new VOS will will solve this.

The MUCH easier solution is to have your dealer put in a new stock one..

The bands on the manifolds actually keep the manifold and plenum all in one piece, instead of separating a little in both directions when hard acceleration from the force induction.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
The bands on the manifolds actually keep the manifold and plenum all in one piece, instead of separating a little in both directions when hard acceleration from the force induction.
You really have made a deal with the devil, haven't you. :cheers:

You need to write a book on "Slippery Slopes" :hilarious:

Awesome stuff. Way past the old, "I have Remus exhaust." days. :)

·
caytim-s
47 Posts
Or a defective VOS, my factory one was toast and I don't have a turbo. So tell us more about this catch can/tray that your VOS vents to instead of the intake throttle body because I find that my car still takes in oil at times and perhaps I need to vent the VOS somewhere else...
My "understanding" is with high performance (rev) and/or high g driving the increased manifold pressure and increased g-force pushes more air and/or oil to vent where ever it can. If the VOS is bust, all the worse. TPC installs a vent hose to the air side of the VOS which vents the "air" to the undertray through a small air filter. My car, with the TPC Turbo, vents enough oil to coat the tray and the rear in a track day but, nowhere near what Franklin's car apparently dropped. This is why I am curious to know if the Motorsports VOS completely cured the problem or if he now just has the same problem as me.

Perhaps Mike S. or Mike L. can take his car for another spin to find out. :burnout:

I know someone who races a Cayman successfully in PCA and NASA who has gone to the effort to build an oil recovery system which collects vented oil and returns it through the oil cooler lines for similar reasons. Clearly, not a turbo issue since there is none. More simply, on the turbo, just a vented can could be used to replace or augment the air filter on the vent hose to catch the oil and be emptied once is a while.

I would obviously prefer just to vent only air and not oil too but, it is not clear to me that this a "stock" problem, a turbo install problem or something else. It seems, so far, like the oil smoking issue where some cars do it and others not, for no obvious reason.

If I got any of this wrong, please correct me.

The investigation continues...

Tim

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Mike recommends replacing it with another stock unit instead of with the Motorsports VOS.
Josh,
this is an interesting point you make. the "gospel" out there among track rats is that the VOS should be replaced. but you make the opposite point.

can you give us some "whys" behind this recommendation?

-aw1.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
...and what the heck are those criss-cross bands of metal?
they are an effective and inexpensive solution to... keeping the intake manifolds together. but why are they needed at all? i've heard opinions ranging from "keep together under flex" to "keep together due to boost pressure". i'm still curious and am leaning toward "it's the boost pressure" answer... but tom at tpc insists otherwise... maybe casey could help get the definitive answer to this and the rationale behind it?

one reason i'm leaning the way i am is that i've learned seen older 911 turbos on an engine stands and they have a simple rod that holds left & right intakes together - and that rod isn't present on non FI 911s of the same vintage.

in any event, my car has a custom and good looking (if i may say so) custom clamp that takes the place of the criss-cross bands. also effective, but not quite as cost effective ;-)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, over the past few days, talking to tom, TPC does have a different solution to help with oils starvation. It is a oil pipe from the turbo to a section on the other side of the engine oil area that is currently plugged. So the plug has to be removed and threaded. Once done, the oil pump can be removed. We could then plug the pipe that leads into the to the oil fill pipe.

But I am thinking maybe the best thing would be to have the pipe coming off the VOS to the baffle to go into the that oil fill pipe instead.. This would put that oil that is blowing off right back in the engine. There would be no more worry of loosing to much oil, or haling oil spattered across the bottom of the car.

Today I spent 3 hours+ cleaning off all of the caked on oil that was covering the whole bottom of the car.

So recirculating it may be the best solution.

So far on 2 Auto X events, I have not seen any new oil coming out of of the baffle at this time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts