Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm not a master mechanic, but I got it done thanks to Gator Bite's excellent installation article. Many thanks also to Stephen for his diligent customer service and high-quality product. Since the weather suddenly decided to turn cold this weekend, I had to wait for the frost to melt this a.m. before continuing. The Cayman spent the evening on jackstands in the driveway. Got done about an hour after it started raining this afternoon...

As I was saying, I ain't Leonardo de Mechanica, so I do have a couple of questions:

1) The exhaust gaskets - which side up? The lippy side so it compresses onto the downpipe flange, or do you turn the little lip into the header?

2) I found two bags of bolts: 4 long ones, plus a baggy with 4 shorter ones with washers. I used the 4 short ones with washers to hold the exhaust onto the mounting plate. Couldn't find a use for the longer ones.

3) Still have a slight rightward bias to the whole system. I can get a finger between the tip and the fascia on the left, but only about half a finger on the right. I loosened everything, including the connector clamps and all of the mounting hardware. The shape of the downpipes seems to be keeping me from shoving it over far enough to the left.

Observations for any other below-average mechanics attempting this install:

- Be sure to trim the bumper trim plate enough. That one took me two tries, as I was being too conservative in the cutting. I used a Bosch saber saw with a metal cutting blade.

- Taking the rear wheels off provided good access to the flanges. A long skinnny socket extension helps a lot.

- You need to get quite intimate with the exhaust in order to lift and hold it in place. Knees and elbows help here, as does grunting, but don't be surprised if you get funny looks from the neighbors.

- Don't buy a cheap creeper from Kragen. The wheels literally fell off mine and I had to scrape along on the driveway. Found out it was a previous return, so someone else must have also had this joy.

- In hindsight, I could probably do this job again in 2 hours instead of 2 days. It is a big job if you're not under your car all the time.

- Gator Bite apparently polishes his Cayman's undersides, as his shiny photos look nothing like my Cayman's belly.

- Oh yeah, it looks really great and sounds better! The SpeedArt has a nice mellow rumble at idle, doesn't dominate at cruise, and only barks when you want it to (like in front of my control-freak HOA president-for-life's house :taunt:)

Bonus: track day at Thunderhill next weekend - looking forward to testing its performance. It was too slippery this afternoon to give it a proper airing out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also installed my speedart exhaust this sunday. It took me about 4 1/2 hours to remove the stock exhaust and install the new one. Gatorbite's instructions and pictures were invaluable. Major props to Gatorbite. However, I do not see how one could get the exhaust flange nuts off without removing the rear wheels. I removed the rear wheels and still spent an hour just trying to get two bolts off. It's a major fiddly pain.

As for Loomis's question #2, I used the 4 bolts with the washers to install the adjustment/hanger plates to the stock hanger and the 4 other bolts to attach the exhaust to the hanger.

#3 - I have exactly the same issue. The exhaust is about a quarter inch too far to the passenger side. I loosened every thing, moved the stock hanger over but to no avail. It just wouldn't move over enough.

Driving impressions after two days - I got the export version but I am thinking I should have purchased the TUV version. It is noticibly louder than stock. It sounds great when you step on the gas and at cruise it is not bad, but it really drones when I let off the gas. I may be over sensitive right now because I'm listening for it, but I found it a bit intrusive on the drive in to work this morning. Also, since my cars's headliner buzzes when the tempurature falls below 45 degrees, the extra vibrations from this exhaust had me really buzzing.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
You guys did good. Aligning the speedART requires real finesse and some patience. This step is a lot easier when you have helpers.

For getting the alignment up and down, use a hydraulic jack and some pieces of wood.

If you can't get enough side to side movement, then you may have to loosen the end clamps on your exhaust hanger. This will give you more movement than you will ever need.

Yes, I have polished my factory exhaust hanger. Thanks for noticing. :)

It usually looks like this:

But I was worried it might feel bad being attached to a shiney exhaust system, so I made it look like this:

For more on that process, see this thread.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I too installed my Speedart exhaust this weekend. About 4 hours total, with the help of a friend on the install portion. Mine was off center quite a bit as well. I had to really utilize every little bit of play in the mounting plates to get it up and level. I'm still confused as to why I can get the tips level and centered but the whole exhaust sits higher up into the car on the left side. You can see the seam of the exhaust well through the right side bumper opening but it it higher up on the left.

Things to note when installing.

My bracket didn't hit where Gator Bite's did for some reason. I had to grind off the sides a bit to make them clear. Don't be shy here.

I couldn't get the torx screws back in the bracket and forgot about that when driving the car for the first time an hour later. It buzzed and droned so bad the tip surround trim piece unclipped itself from the vibration (and I was cursing the overall purchase as well!). After going to the hardware store to get hex head 6mm bolts, the buzzing and vibration of the bumper went away. An open end wrench worked great. Or get Gator's angled torx tool! A screwdriver wont do it.

I'm suprised to hear that someone thought the Export was too loud. Either I'm deaf or I got the TUV version by mistake!

·
Registered
114 Posts
What do you think of the sound?
Funny, that is a question I asked myself all the way to work today. It is what you described it to be. Near stock at idle, with a hint of lower end burble, mid-range wail when you put your foot into it, but without the "look at me cops!" wail of say a sport bike.

I expected it louder, perhaps a bit more "raw" sounding. It is smooth. Like you said, almost the same stock sound but amplified. Don't get me wrong, it adds another dimension to the car. The sound makes it feel more like a sports car to me now. If that makes any sense!

Coming from a stock exhaust, and never hearing or driving in another aftermarket exhaust equipped Cayman, there is definitely an area of what I would call resonance at the low rpm area. The funny thing is that it is brief and not always present. I need more time in the car to really get the feeling for it.

The gearhead part of me wants the "look at me" wail that scares the **** out of you when you punch it, but I know I would tire of that very quickly (that is what my 64 SS Chevelle is for anyway!). This to me is a perfect compromise. It is, in all respect, exactly what I wanted.

I know you asked about the sound but I have to talk about the power. I had purchased the SRP 7 months ago and installed it thinking I would get an exhaust ASAP. Well thanks to you (HA HA!) I waited for this group buy. As a result I've been limping around, from what I understand from others, with bit lower torque than stock because of the lack of an exhaust.

Well now that the exhaust is installed I have a whole different car! With the SRP operating at full speed I am blown away at how quickly the car accelerates and how it pulls. During the test drive of the exhaust I broke the tires free and the PSM light came on. That surprised the hell out me! This is what I imagined the car could be. I was actually thinking of the TPC turbo recently, but this has put it on the back burner for a while. Thank God!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you think of the sound?
I think it sounds great! A little burble at idle, then it barks when you step on it. I hardly notice it at cruise. As others have said, mid-range torque is much better. All in all, I am very satisfied.

Now, just to put my mind at rest, which way to the exhaust gaskets go? Lip up, or lip down?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think it matters, because they will flatten out over time. The stock gaskets I took off were flat. I think I put mine on lip down.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Since mine won't be driven until spring I just sprayed the exhaust bolts with PB anticipating the arrival of my system soon.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Funny, that is a question I asked myself all the way to work today. It is what you described it to be. Near stock at idle, with a hint of lower end burble, mid-range wail when you put your foot into it, but without the "look at me cops!" wail of say a sport bike.

I expected it louder, perhaps a bit more "raw" sounding. It is smooth. Like you said, almost the same stock sound but amplified. Don't get me wrong, it adds another dimension to the car. The sound makes it feel more like a sports car to me now. If that makes any sense!

Coming from a stock exhaust, and never hearing or driving in another aftermarket exhaust equipped Cayman, there is definitely an area of what I would call resonance at the low rpm area. The funny thing is that it is brief and not always present. I need more time in the car to really get the feeling for it.

The gearhead part of me wants the "look at me" wail that scares the **** out of you when you punch it, but I know I would tire of that very quickly (that is what my 64 SS Chevelle is for anyway!). This to me is a perfect compromise. It is, in all respect, exactly what I wanted.

I know you asked about the sound but I have to talk about the power. I had purchased the SRP 7 months ago and installed it thinking I would get an exhaust ASAP. Well thanks to you (HA HA!) I waited for this group buy. As a result I've been limping around, from what I understand from others, with bit lower torque than stock because of the lack of an exhaust.

Well now that the exhaust is installed I have a whole different car! With the SRP operating at full speed I am blown away at how quickly the car accelerates and how it pulls. During the test drive of the exhaust I broke the tires free and the PSM light came on. That surprised the hell out me! This is what I imagined the car could be. I was actually thinking of the TPC turbo recently, but this has put it on the back burner for a while. Thank God!
Absolutely what I would have expected. A system like this is noticable on it's own, though not really like "HOLY SH--!" noticable. With something like the SRP, oh yeah.... You're now in the "HOLY SH--!" neighborhood.

In regard to volume, I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but my system seems louder now than it was when I installed it (6,000 miles later + one track event). Unlike others that seemed to get softer with age, I think this one has gotten a little more aggressive with mileage, which is fine by me.

I think it sounds great! A little burble at idle, then it barks when you step on it. I hardly notice it at cruise. As others have said, mid-range torque is much better. All in all, I am very satisfied.

Now, just to put my mind at rest, which way to the exhaust gaskets go? Lip up, or lip down?
Either way is fine. I put mine on with the detent down. Doesn't matter, it gets crushed.

Since mine won't be driven until spring I just sprayed the exhaust bolts with PB anticipating the arrival of my system soon.
Good idea.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Gator, I also noticed this as well! i was going to ask you about it but just read your post. I wasn't sure if it was just me thinking it's getting louder but it does seem to be deeper and more aggressive than when first installed. Not to the point of annoying me so i don't mind either.

Absolutely what I would have expected. A system like this is noticable on it's own, though not really like "HOLY SH--!" noticable. With something like the SRP, oh yeah.... You're now in the "HOLY SH--!" neighborhood.

In regard to volume, I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but my system seems louder now than it was when I installed it (6,000 miles later + one track event). Unlike others that seemed to get softer with age, I think this one has gotten a little more aggressive with mileage, which is fine by me.

Either way is fine. I put mine on with the detent down. Doesn't matter, it gets crushed.

Good idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts