Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First post here, but I've been lurking for quite some time. I've had my 2007 Boxster S for about a year and a half - it's my first Porsche after having a couple BMW's. One of the things about the car that I wanted to improve upon was the side vents. To my eye, the silver side vents are huge warts on the side of the car that really break up its beautiful lines; they look like a nonfunctional aftermarket accessory that someone slapped on there. My goal for this project was to give the car a more 981 boxster "look" and to visually enhance the functional aspect of the vents.

I started looking through hundreds of pictures here (and elsewhere) of owners who had painted their stock vents black or body color. This seemed like an OK solution, but I still did not like the horizontal "stakes" on the stock boxster vent, and I didn't really care for the vertical stakes of the cayman vent either. The carbon fiber vents that I saw looked sort of cool, but they were even more attention grabbing. I really liked the mesh vents on the boxster spyder, except for the silver trim around the outside of the vent which again draws the eye away from the lines of the car. After much debate, I finally purchased the boxster spyder side vents from Suncoast and had the silver trim around the outside professionally painted body color (Basalt Black), leaving the grill itself semi-gloss black.

Installation was fairly straightforward - the hardest part was getting the stock boxster side vents off the car. I accidentally broke off a small piece of one in my haste. Oh well. I'm not planning on putting them back on anyway. Note the vent set from Suncoast includes inner and outer pieces: You can't use the inner piece from a boxster S with the outer trim for a boxster spyder. This is probably one reason why the spyder vents cost nearly 500.00.

Here are the costs - hold on to your wallets, it was not cheap!
Boxster Spyder Side Grill Set: Side Grille Set - Boxster Spyder:Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories
Professional painting by local body shop: 400.00 (but that included also painting a cayman spoiler, also installed).

Following are some pics, including a before/after shot. Note I also added the cayman spoiler. The top half of the spoiler is painted body color, and I left the lower half unpainted black plastic. I'll post some details of that install in another thread. Sorry the car is dirty in the before/after shot, it had rained earlier in the day. Hope you enjoy the pics and that it gives someone else an idea!

boxster.jpg sidevents1.jpg sidevents2.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi All,

First post here, but I've been lurking for quite some time. I've had my 2007 Boxster S for about a year and a half - it's my first Porsche after having a couple BMW's. One of the things about the car that I wanted to improve upon was the side vents. To my eye, the silver side vents are huge warts on the side of the car that really break up its beautiful lines; they look like a nonfunctional aftermarket accessory that someone slapped on there. My goal for this project was to give the car a more 981 boxster "look" and to visually enhance the functional aspect of the vents.

I started looking through hundreds of pictures here (and elsewhere) of owners who had painted their stock vents black or body color. This seemed like an OK solution, but I still did not like the horizontal "stakes" on the stock boxster vent, and I didn't really care for the vertical stakes of the cayman vent either. The carbon fiber vents that I saw looked sort of cool, but they were even more attention grabbing. I really liked the mesh vents on the boxster spyder, except for the silver trim around the outside of the vent which again draws the eye away from the lines of the car. After much debate, I finally purchased the boxster spyder side vents from Suncoast and had the silver trim around the outside professionally painted body color (Basalt Black), leaving the grill itself semi-gloss black.

Installation was fairly straightforward - the hardest part was getting the stock boxster side vents off the car. I accidentally broke off a small piece of one in my haste. Oh well. I'm not planning on putting them back on anyway. Note the vent set from Suncoast includes inner and outer pieces: You can't use the inner piece from a boxster S with the outer trim for a boxster spyder. This is probably one reason why the spyder vents cost nearly 500.00.

Here are the costs - hold on to your wallets, it was not cheap!
Boxster Spyder Side Grill Set: Side Grille Set - Boxster Spyder:Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories
Professional painting by local body shop: 400.00 (but that included also painting a cayman spoiler, also installed).

Following are some pics, including a before/after shot. Note I also added the cayman spoiler. The top half of the spoiler is painted body color, and I left the lower half unpainted black plastic. I'll post some details of that install in another thread. Sorry the car is dirty in the before/after shot, it had rained earlier in the day. Hope you enjoy the pics and that it gives someone else an idea!

View attachment 52802 View attachment 52803 View attachment 52804
I agree the original vents are bad, making the car seem older than it is. I think even the 986 vents are nicer. Your new set looks hot!

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
looks good here are some other options for the same price if not less and actually increase the performance of your car :)

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
looks good here are some other options for the same price if not less and actually increase the performance of your car :)
The look of the vent is a personal preference of aesthethics. I'm not so sure how much of a performance improvement will be gained. The only workable vent on the 987 is the driver's side.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Great pic with the before and after...I like what you've done it really takes the focus off of the vents especially on the side view with the black car and silver vents; contrast of the OEM vents it kind of broke up the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I don't think the spyder vents flow any more air than the stock vents. I *almost* de-snorkled when I installed them, which might have arguably made a difference, but I chickened out at the last minute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts