Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday installed the rear support bar from Schnell on my 2015 Boxster S. Followed the instructions, and the whole project took under an hour. Easy installation. (Anyone else could have done it in half the time, but I am slow and meticulous) Today took the car out on some "twisty" roads. Car does feel more solid around the curves. Did not drive at 10/10ths though, as still under 2000 miles. Overall pleased with the results. Schnell even called to ask how I liked it......very first class of them! :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yesterday installed the rear support bar from Schnell on my 2015 Boxster S. Followed the instructions, and the whole project took under an hour. Easy installation. (Anyone else could have done it in half the time, but I am slow and meticulous) Today took the car out on some "twisty" roads. Car does feel more solid around the curves. Did not drive at 10/10ths though, as still under 2000 miles. Overall pleased with the results. Schnell even called to ask how I liked it......very first class of them! :)
We installed it at the track (Auto Club Speedway) - between sessions. Then I went out....won my class....and first overall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way: The "under an hour time" included getting the jacks out and lifting both sides of the car, putting the jack stands in place to make sure the car was secure. Checking the centering of the bar, doing some clean up under the car, etc, etc. Enjoying the moment!

·
Registered
710 Posts
To johneecatt:

How did the car feel after the install. More solid? Easier to drive fast? A little more oversteer? More planted? Better traction out of a corner? Were your times any lower after the install? Or not much different.

My mechanic says it shouldn't make much difference with the rubber bushings and street tires because the metal plate brace in not the weakest link. The Cayman handles so well since it is one of the very stiffest of all cars in production today. If this device adds some additional torsional rigidity to the car, then it stand to reason that it might help with the handling.

·
Registered
261 Posts
How did the car feel after the install. More solid? Easier to drive fast? A little more oversteer? More planted? Better traction out of a corner? Were your times any lower after the install? Or not much different.

My mechanic says it shouldn't make much difference with the rubber bushings and street tires because the metal plate brace in not the weakest link. The Cayman handles so well since it is one of the very stiffest of all cars in production today. If this device adds some additional torsional rigidity to the car, then it stand to reason that it might help with the handling.
It's really subtle, and there were a number of conditions (first time at that track, new tires, juggling tire pressures, track temp changes, etc) that made it hard to judge. But I was going for time, and getting a pretty heavy push condition. I seemed like the bar loosened up the rear enough to get on the gas earlier, take some of the weight off the front, and get a better drive off the corners. And the more I drove it and figured out what I could do, the more my times came down. So - I'm still using it, and doing well.

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
It's really subtle, and there were a number of conditions (first time at that track, new tires, juggling tire pressures, track temp changes, etc) that made it hard to judge. But I was going for time, and getting a pretty heavy push condition. I seemed like the bar loosened up the rear enough to get on the gas earlier, take some of the weight off the front, and get a better drive off the corners. And the more I drove it and figured out what I could do, the more my times came down. So - I'm still using it, and doing well.

thanks johneycatt and amf... been telling people..but, but, here in the forum...

Lemon

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Did you snap photos and write up a how to post in the DIY section??? Article in our Articles area???

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have had this on my car for about 3 months and I feel a subtle change in driving dynamic on cornering; however, the biggest change is that aesthetically it looks pretty cool to see the red anodized bar on the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
it looks pretty cool to see the red anodized bar on the bottom of the car.
Alas, most of the Honda Civics around here have a red anodized bar there. :2cents:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi K-Man S......didn't snap any in process pictures as the instructions that came from Schnell were so comprehensive I didn't see a need to. These instructions are on the Schnell web site if anyone wants to see how it is done. Very easy installation. I did take a picture when I was done, and it is interesting to note about the Honda Civics with red bars. I painted my bar black even before knowing about the Honda bars, as I want mine to look "OE" and be inconspicuous. (Just one of my OCD traits, which I love!)

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Any updates using the Schnell rear bar on the track?
We know that the new GT4 has something similar installed. There has to be a reason or Porsche would not have done it. My tech at the dealer tried to install the GT4 part on my car recently, but the PDK transmission is too low for the GT4 part to fit.
His opinion as to why it was added was to provide greater rigidity which would help keep the alignment true. It would help both camber and toe.
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
No. I don't have your graphic skills but if you look closely you can see a black strip that sits runs horizontally on it's edge between the sway bar and the frame. It is connected to the two bolts that hold the bushing at each end. Hard to see in that picture but it's there.
Somewhere there is a video of a shop giving a tour of the underbody of the GT4 which shows that part better. It may be a TPC video but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Got it. These support bars would go right below that black bar you are talking about, so they should help with structural rigidity in a similar manner. The Schnell bar looks stronger with the beefier mounts. The Rennline won't hang down as low and is cheaper. To each his own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts