Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed Genuine Porsche Tequipment Front Splitters myself in my garage this weekend. I purchased these unused Tequipment parts from our late sponsor Motorlux at a significant discount, thank you! So I decided to go with Matte Black referencing the 997 GT3 front lip being Black vs. Painted. Thought I'd try this look first.

Here are the pictures...

They are quite subtle in the pics but up close they are really the dramatic change. I'm really liking them so far Matte Black!

Press Release

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG of Stuttgart, Germany, has begun to supply Aerokits for its Cayman and Cayman S sports cars. This new customizing equipment consists of add-on spoiler lips for the standard front-end apron panel. Designed by engineers at the Porsche Development Center in Weissach, the Aerokit gives the Cayman even more 'bite' and even sportier, more dynamic looks. The front spoiler lips emphasize the visual power of the big air inlets in the front apron. Along with the car's appearance, its aerodynamics have also been upgraded. The Aerokit's components, optimized in Porsche's wind tunnel, reduce lift at the front and rear axles, making the car even more stable at high speeds. The aerodynamic components have been carefully matched and must therefore only be installed as a complete set. All the items in the Aerokit are supplied in the car's body color and harmonize well with the Cayman's dynamic styling. Porsche supplies this Aerokit on all international markets.

Source: Source: Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Porsche Cayman Aerokit - Automobiles Review

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Splitters look great! I, for one, am happy that MotorLux is no longer a sponsor but I am certainly happier that some members got what they wanted out of them. Unfortunately, I can't say that I got my money's worth.

-Moto

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
It's nice to hear that one member managed to benefit from Motorlux, as it seems many only lost.

Love the splitters, but i am also a huge fan of the Aerokit, and if I had cash to spare i would have the splitters and wing fitted in a heart beat!

Congrats :cheers:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Very nice.. I have a pair of RS60 splitters painted in body color (SY) sitting at home. I'll try to install them this weekend. Unlike the Caymans, you do have to drill a couple of holes, along with double sided tapes to complete the install. Can't wait.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Scryana, thanks! It is required to removed the factory splitters for install because the new ones use the same mounting slots and expansion clips on the bottom. There is no drilling or custom work involved because they are Porsche Tequipment Parts. They snap right in and the fitment is perfection. No gaps what so ever. Thanks for the your pic, love seeing what everyone else is doing.

Nice pics! And nice splitters.

Did you mount the splitters over the stock splitters or did you have to remove the stock ones. Also, did you have to do additional drilling or used the stock mounting points?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Opinions are welcome here, but I really didn't mean for this thread to be about Motorlux quality, I only bought this part from them. This thread is more about reviewing the design of the Cayman Tequipment Aerokit offered from Porsche. Here are higher resolution pictures showing the fitment quality of the this Tequipment part. Can't go wrong with factory parts!

They are designed to fit perfect because they are Porsche. :cheers:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice.. I have a pair of RS60 splitters painted in body color (SY) sitting at home. I'll try to install them this weekend. Unlike the Caymans, you do have to drill a couple of holes, along with double sided tapes to complete the install. Can't wait.
Hi Lithium1330, please post the pics of your install. It'd also be great to see them on the 987 Boxster front bumper. What do you mean by holes you have to drill? I would think the install would be identical. I did use most of the double sided tape along the back end of the splitter that wraps around near the front tire. I didn't feel it was needed to drill holes on the part that holds the fender lining, although I have seen this done before. I think this is only precautionary. As long as you have the 3 factory expansion clips back in place, the double stick tape on the back end will be enough to secure the splitters to the bumper, the clips are what really hold the splitter in place like the factory ones.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Law,
Can you tell me what is the distance from the floor to the splitters? Also, is you car stock height?
thanks.........Barry

PS they look great!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Law,
Can you tell me what is the distance from the floor to the splitters? Also, is you car stock height?
thanks.........Barry

PS they look great!
Thanks Barry, my car is lowered with H&R coilovers and my height of the front fender wheel arch (measured at the highest arch point and at the center line of the wheel) is approx. 25 1/2 inches up from the ground. This is with a 19" wheel and 235/35/19 tires. From the direct front of the car the splitter has a 6 inch clearance and measured from the side (right in front of the front wheel) which is the lowest point of the bumper is 4 inches clearance. That sounds really low, but I do not scrape speed bumps and have no problems with daily driving at all. The splitters however, now protrude further forward past the front of the bumper so I do have to watch how close I pull up to a parking curb. The main reasons I went with the Tequipment part is because it's made of flexible Urethane and of course the fitment quality.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Thanks Law, That is excellent info. My GT3 was 3 3/4" at the front and was bottoming out on all sorts of things. The 4" in front of the wheel should not be a problem because it is the long lever arm (the long overhang of the front of the car) that causes problems for splitters not the height right at the wheel. Do you know if the splitters can be purchased without the whole Aerokit from Porsche to be used with aftermarket spoilers as you did?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey, quick question. Did you have trouble having them fit flush? I bought the same exact splitters and they dont fit exactly flush on the car. i have an 06 cayman s as well and i bought them from sun coast

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Hey, quick question. Did you have trouble having them fit flush? I bought the same exact splitters and they dont fit exactly flush on the car. i have an 06 cayman s as well and i bought them from sun coast
Thats exactly why I re-designed these .I bought a set from suncoast and they actually flew off my car as well as 3 other guys that posted here on p9 so we twisted them some to fit better and re-designed the fittment to not need any 2 sided tape ( it weakens over time )and they work perfect (except for the one manufacturer i used ) his were **** but with the current manufacturer they are stellar ,160 MPH + at the track and working perfect .not 1 single misshap now . DB carbon should be selling these improved Tech equiptment splitters for the 2006 to 2008 Caymans any day now .. stay tuned and PM them if you are interested :thanks:

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
I'd bet that suncoast sent you gen2 splitters instead of gen1. What part numbers are stamped on the pieces?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts