Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the reviews of the different exhausts here I decided that the Borla was probably what I was looking for. I love deep, throaty exhausts and a bit of drone just gives it a little more character in my opinion so I wasnt afraid.

I installed it myself which went pretty well. My car is so low now that getting it up on jack stands was probably the most difficult part. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

I ended up with the 3.5 inch tips, I'll have to be honest, I really didnt know which ones I wanted, 4 inch seemed the obvious choice but now that I have the 3.5 inch tips I couldnt be happier, I think now the 4 inch might look a little pretentious for my tastes and probably not suit the overall look Im going for.

The Sound:
The sound is significantly improved from stock. I was very disappointed in the lack of good exhaust sounds in the stock systems below 4k rpms. The borla has good sound all the way thru the rev range. I could not be happier. At first I was actually thinking it wasnt loud enough and I was a little discouraged. After a few drives though, I can tell you it is nice and loud.

I think the exhaust makes me feel more connected to the car and makes driving it a more moving experience.

heres a few pics...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Congrats. I too am going with Borla. It's just about the only thing I want to do to my CS.

I think I'll have it done in the next month or so although I'm not going to attempt to put it on myself. I feel the same way about the stock sound.

Is there any noticeable difference in HP?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats. I too am going with Borla. It's just about the only thing I want to do to my CS.

I think I'll have it done in the next month or so although I'm not going to attempt to put it on myself. I feel the same way about the stock sound.

Is there any noticeable difference in HP?
I'm not really the one to report on butt dynos but I have to say that it definately has a kick that I don't really remember before.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Congrats on the Borla....It certainly brings th beast alive doesn't it.

I can't help but smile that bit harder everytime I hear the Borla roar :cheers:

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Gator Byte has the dynoes for the system posted on the Borla thread. And the kick in the pants is not your imagination it is true Borla all the way. And the tips I have both. The 4" look monstrous and go very good with the car. Right now I am running the 3.5's they look killer as well. And after about 1k of running the system it settles in. I have went through 3 differant systems and the Borla seems to produce the most bang for the buck. One day I hope to go Capristo but my wife needs a little cool down period from my mod mania.
Congrats and enjoy plus customer service wise you are in some of the best hands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gator Byte has the dynoes for the system posted on the Borla thread. And the kick in the pants is not your imagination it is true Borla all the way. And the tips I have both. The 4" look monstrous and go very good with the car. Right now I am running the 3.5's they look killer as well. And after about 1k of running the system it settles in. I have went through 3 differant systems and the Borla seems to produce the most bang for the buck. One day I hope to go Capristo but my wife needs a little cool down period from my mod mania.
Congrats and enjoy plus customer service wise you are in some of the best hands.

The kick in your pants is for real. Had mine installed today...as I pulled away from the shop, I didn't realize I wasn't in Sport mode until a few miles down the road. I always drive in Sport and the Borla alone made it feel as if I was in sport. I smiled at the light and engaged sport mode.:) The sound is amazing. I had goosebumps the whole drive back to Miami. Thanks to the guys at USP Motorsports in Coral Springs, FL, they did a great job with the install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I have a question. I went to the Borla website to look at their offerings and was ultimately taken to "Stainless Steel Cat-Back™ System Aggressive
Part# 12653" as the only choice for my 06 Boxster S.

But my concern is the statement "Both systems are intended for racing and are not legal for highway use."

Is this true or just CYA from Borla?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have a question. I went to the Borla website to look at their offerings and was ultimately taken to "Stainless Steel Cat-Back™ System Aggressive

But my concern is the statement "Both systems are intended for racing and are not legal for highway use."

No, its for street use. Probably just louder than what is considered street legal and if you get a ticket then Borla is covered, since they are telling you its for "race" use only.
Go for it, the sound is so much better than stock. My only reservation would be if you drive alot with your wife or girlfriend and want to talk during the drive lol.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
No, its for street use. Probably just louder than what is considered street legal and if you get a ticket then Borla is covered, since they are telling you its for "race" use only.
Go for it, the sound is so much better than stock. My only reservation would be if you drive alot with your wife or girlfriend and want to talk during the drive lol.
Also, some states prohibit ANY modification to the stock emissions system. This does not, however, necessarily mean you will fail emissions testing. Even in California. If this is a concern, hang on to your stock exhaust for a switch-over in the event of SMOG test issues.

My Borla passed the "wife test" on a 250 mile round trip. Her only comment was that the car was "bumpy" and not as comfortable as her minivan for long freeway trips. LOL. God, I love my wife. :kiss:

Over the past 2 days a literally spent 11 hours on the freeway in driving rain...on conference calls a third of the time. No problem.

I must be starting to sound like a Borla fan-boy, but it is some of the best money I have spent in a long, long time.

As far as HP is concerned, I have verified that the car pulls more Gs of acceleration now with my Traqmate GPS/accelerometer data. A 3rd gear rolling WOT test starting at 60mph puts you several car lengths ahead of your stock car by 100mph. I posted the data around here somewhere. The "racing myself" animation is pretty cool when watched on Traqview. Just colored dots...but still pretty neat. Subjectively, the engine seems to rev more freely at the top end. Even if it is a placebo effect, I like it. :cheers:

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
I'm not really the one to report on butt dynos but I have to say that it definately has a kick that I don't really remember before.
It's undeniable. Want a real eye opener. After you've gotten used to is, put the factory system back on. It feels like the car is pulling a small parachute.

Just CYA from Borla. No aftermarket system is technically legal, unless it's approved by the EPA, which none are.

I've driven mine 10 hours straight from CT to SC with the wife in the car. On the highway, the system is very easy to deal with and very wife friendly.

·
Registered
14 Posts

GET IT! I had mine installed in December and had all of the same concerns as you. The first few days took a little adjutment, but after you put a few hundred miles on the system it is amazing! You will adjust to the different sound of the Borla. After the beak in period, the Borla is only slightly louder than stock...until you get into the higher RPMs. In the higher RPMs the Borla is magnificent. I would never go back to stock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm confused about exhaust systems and pricing. I want something that is close enough to street legal to get by and like what I've read about Borla and Fabspeed. Borla has a system for the Boxster for only around $8-900 and the Fabspeed is almost double that, but Borla at that price is not available for the 987 Boxster? I've got a 2006 S

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm confused about exhaust systems and pricing. I want something that is close enough to street legal to get by and like what I've read about Borla and Fabspeed. Borla has a system for the Boxster for only around $8-900 and the Fabspeed is almost double that, but Borla at that price is not available for the 987 Boxster? I've got a 2006 S

I may be wrong but I thought the Borla System for Cayman S fits 987 Boxster S....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Zatara,
The Borla system you're looking at on the VividRacing site is for a 986 S, you have a 987 S.
BW

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have a question concerning the borla, Does it work with the Sports Chrono option?
As in can i turn it off or on like the Sotck PSE?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts