Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local tuner picked up the car today.. should be back in about 2 hours and I'll let you know if the upgrade is worth it. As far as I know the B16 with PASM are the latest version of Bilstein's for the 987.2.

Sorry for the watermarks.. thats how my tuner sent them to me.

Will also have some new sound clips for you in a bit.. Fast and the Furious Bangkok Drift ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just did my first test run. It's like day and night to the standard coil overs. Bumpy roads are much more comfortable to drive without the car swerving out - it's kinda stiff and soft at the time.
PASM works just like before and at high speeds, in sport or sport plus mode, the car goes around corners like a motorbike.
My old coil overs had 50,000km on the cloak so it's a great overall improvement. Will play with the settings and possibly lower the car a bit further over the next few days but for now I am very happy with the setup!

·
Registered
408 Posts
By "standard coilovers" do you mean the OEM pasm shocks? Is that what you were replacing?

Interesting that bumpy roads are actually more comfortable, but I've heard this a few times about the B16s.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just did my first test run. It's like day and night to the standard coil overs. Bumpy roads are much more comfortable to drive without the car swerving out - it's kinda stiff and soft at the time.
PASM works just like before and at high speeds, in sport or sport plus mode, the car goes around corners like a motorbike.
My old coil overs had 50,000km on the cloak so it's a great overall improvement. Will play with the settings and possibly lower the car a bit further over the next few days but for now I am very happy with the setup!
Thumbs up! :) I had similar experience from installing Bilstein and H&R coil-overs on 911s and a Boxster. Huge improvement in handling and feedback. Smoother too. That is what quality suspension does :)

Did you also change the anti roll-bars / stabilizers? This will firm up the handling even more and is mostly "recommended" when changing the damping. I believe shocks, springs and roll-bars are all tuned together. Check out the H&R roll-bars.

Enjoy! :cheers:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know, once you start it is hard to stop :) I did something similar with a Boxster a few years back (approx. USD 20k). It did transform the car, but I kept finding new things to change or upgrade.

So, since then I left my cars untouched :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just to clarify, the B16's are aimed to maintain the active suspension PASM management correct?

Whereas the PSS9's are for non-PASM equipped cars? Can B16's be run on non-PASM cars and if so what is the general consensus between PSS9's and B16's?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Cool car. Love my Bilstein damptronics. They've seen some rough riding and rally roads...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have recently had B16/PSS9 put on my 06 CS w/PASM. The PASM version of the PSS9 has no setting adjustment, to my (or my mechanic's) knowledge. Or don't we know where to look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
PSS9 = passive + 9 settings
PSS10 = passive + 10 settings

B16 Damptronic = active (to maintain PASM capability) + no fixed number of settings

It's a misconception that B16 coilovers are called PSS9 or PSS10. Vendors refer B16 as the active version of the PSS9/PSS10 either cuz they don't know what's going on, or they are doing it so customers can understand it easier to compare what's the equivalent product for PASM-equipped cars. The B16 coilovers look similar to PSS9/PSS10 and are made out of similar materials and specs. But again, there are no fixed number of settings in B16s ... Have a look at how PASM works.

After a bit of trouble (problems caused by a irresponsible vendor out of the US) with the installation initially ... now I just love how the B16 Damptronic coilovers work along with the TPC DSC module (replaces the stock PASM module). Great setup. I wouldn't wanna go back to passive suspension after this. It's one of the most underrated options for Caymans. Not to say Cayman's stock coilovers are the same as GT cars', but there is a reason why the GT-family cars are come with active suspension instead of passive suspension.

Keep in mind though, Bilstein coilovers are mono-tube. So they do have their shortcomings there. But non-issue for me

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
That's helpful Zinger, thanks. Can non PASM cars use B16 damptronics? My impression was no.

Cheers
Like Lemon said, you could wait for the Bilstein setup.

Or else TPC Racing (I have no affiliation with them) has the harness and module ready, but their unit does not work over an iPhone as a controller. I don't know the price, so you would need to contact them directly.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Thumbs up! :) I had similar experience from installing Bilstein and H&R coil-overs on 911s and a Boxster. Huge improvement in handling and feedback. Smoother too. That is what quality suspension does :)

Did you also change the anti roll-bars / stabilizers? This will firm up the handling even more and is mostly "recommended" when changing the damping. I believe shocks, springs and roll-bars are all tuned together. Check out the H&R roll-bars.

Enjoy! :cheers:
Persey:

You actually scored a GT4??? Congrats! Too cool.

TPC's "DSC" brain box replaces the stock PASM box...takes 15 minutes the first time and 3 minutes after that. It gives 3 settings instead of 2. Car corners flatter. Settings are 1, 2 and 3. 1 shows the PASM switch lit. 2 has it blink 2 times then repeat. 3 has it blink 3 times then repeat. Setting 1 is good for most driving but I like setting 2 for interstates. It handles high speed bumps, even big ones, in a totally sporty, controlled and not harsh way. This is a cool option even for those who don't get coil-overs and such. All settings give flatter cornering. You have to add an extra accelerometer back near the engine bay on 987.1 cars. That took me about an hour. 987.2 cars already have the stuff needed for DSC so for them, it's just changing the box mentioned above.

I've got the coil-overs plus DSC plus the TPC front spring perches with single rate springs plus TPC sway bars and GT3 LCAs. I think it's on the edge of too much for a Gen1...but I really like it. I have 18" rims. I think that saves the car from going over the line into track car stiff. The front spring rates may be a little much for street use. It's still the best car I've owned. The chassis is rigid enough to handle the stiffness and grip. It all works together and after 15 minutes of driving it, you wonder why all cars don't feel like this.

I have a Heigo roll bar too. Here's the skinny on those:

-Good stuff? It stiffens the chassis a bit more. It looks really cool lurking in there under the hatch. Engine access is still pretty easy with it installed. You can't bump your head or helmet on it. No foam protection needed. I can put an electric guitar case in back on the crossbar and the nice aluminum panel in back doesn't get banged up. Other stuff fits back there too and the hatch closes nicely. This is a big deal for me. I drive a 110 mile round trip on Tuesday nights in support of a blues habit, which has become rather severe in the last couple years. The Heigo gets a little scratched up with guitar cases, but it's easily repainted. I stuck a length of velcro along the crossbar where the cases rest. Saves the cases and the paint on the crossbar. Still room in the front trunk for a combo amp and pedal board.

-Not so good stuff? Well, Heigo bars are not cheap. Installation is a pain. You have to remove both seats and the plastic in back on both sides of the engine bay along the sides. That means the rear speakers too. It also means a lot of other stuff back there has to come out to get said plastic out. Not the end of the world, but it points out one of the worst things about Cayman tweaking. That would be packaging. Everything is interlocked and you have to remove 15 things to get at one. Combine that with the mid-engine configuration and you get some challenges. The suspension is like that, the IMS bearing that doesn't come out without splitting the engine case, etc, etc. Mods and certain maintenance on these things is pretty hard and/or pretty expensive.

Let's see, what else? Oh. I bought my bar used. The seller was kind enough to include modified plastic side covers that allow the bar to reach down to the shock tower without interference. Nice little plastic edging around the cut areas. It's a better job than I probably would have been able to do. It looks stock and great!

Unfortunately, the two rear speakers in that plastic panel seemed to lose some bass reflex effect somehow after the bar was installed, so the fader has to favor the rear speakers to get a decent surround effect. Not sure if the small mod to the plastic so far from the speakers did this or if it was something the installer of the bar did. It's been like this for a couple years now and my stereo gets LOTS of exercise. No ill effects other than having to turn the fader rearwards by 3 or 4 bars.

It should be pointed out that rear suspension changes require the removal of this plastic and stuff anyway, so the time to put in a Heigo is when you're installing your coil-overs.

Of all the suspension mods my car has, I think the only one I might want to undo is the TPC front springs. I think I like the Bilstein springs better for my needs. They were better at handling choppy low speed streets. My car feels great in every circumstance but that. The front moves up and down a little too much on the little stuff. Putting the Stock PASM box back in place of DSC might mitigate that a little. (I'm going to experiment.) I don't think it's worth sacrificing the benefits that DSC brings though. TPC says they're using the same tech that McLaren buys for their active suspension. I believe it. It has some pretty good moves, just not under 30 mph. I think Bilstein uses their little "helper springs" in front to help with these low speed bumps. The TPC setup is more track-worthy but maybe not as good of a balance for mostly street use.

:cheers:

Reactions: addicted2wasabi

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'm interested in the BILSTEIN B16 kit for my non-PASM 2014 Cayman S.
Can anybody comment on the ride quality and handling?
Also what would be the ride height adjustment range?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts