Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing coilovers on my Cayman 987.1 and I don't want the slammed look. If I just do 1 inch front and rear will the car have a reverse rake look? When I see lowered Cayman 987 some of them looks like they are taking a dump with the rear lower than the front. Should I do 1 inch rear and 1.25 in the front. Appreciate any any input from people who lowered their cars .

· Vendor
615 Posts
What coilovers?

These are MacPherson strut cars all around so the motion ratio is very close to 1:1. Measure your current ride height and make the needed changes to achieve your desired appearance. I would not go lower than 25mm front or rear. If you rake the car you'll lose caster (not great).

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply I got Feal coilovers to be installed next week. Note to self don't rake the car thanks again! I'll just do 25mm I read somewhere the highest setting coilovers for 987 can go is 1 inch lower from stock height.

· Registered
2013 Boxster S
243 Posts
I don’t know if there is factual evidence supporting or to the contrary, however I’ve always set my fronts a hair higher than the rear..1/8-1/4” max. This is with the thought process of suspension compression under heavy braking prior to and in turns in the attempt to keep the car level. Could be BS, can’t recall where I heard it initially, and have never set up suspension for track use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Vendor
615 Posts
I don't know anything about Feal coilovers, but if they lower a minimum of 1" (25.4mm) that is a bit concerning.. Keep it in the 1" or higher range or you'll start running into some serious geometry problems with bump steer and roll center.

Regarding height it depends where you are measure. The wheel arches are asymmetric but if you like the stance now just make a relative change.

· Registered
2,039 Posts
cireericd- Rather than worry about rake, I would have your car corner balanced. You will be surprised how much each car is different. The only added components are adjustable down links. Corner balancing is an art within the mechanical components of suspension setups where you add the two opposite cross weights of the vehicle together and "try" to get to 0 difference. This is with the weight of the driver in the seat. What corner balance weight equilivance does is gives you equal turnin left and right, weight transfer across the car and also front to back or back to front. You should read up on this subject as it is involved and time consuming for the alignment technician meaning it's expensive. So, after you get this done, you do not want anyone changing LCA's or other items that could affect the weight distribution on the car. Joshua is an expert on this subject and Ohlin setups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts