Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a video I made when I installed the smarttop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Without boring you with a long story, suffice it say that you should be very careful to prevent any exposed wire from grounding and shorting. Control modules don't like that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Without boring you with a long story, suffice it say that you should be very careful to prevent any exposed wire from grounding and shorting. Control modules don't like that.
I did this install too. I did manage to snap one of the little metal things inside the connector and had to escalate the procedure to using a soldering iron... All is well now but I was sweating for a while:)

This mod really makes the top and windows work the way they're supposed to. And the radio on quiet is a big bonus.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I watched this video before doing my installation. Thanks, Mike, for making and posting it! The most valuable bit of info I got from it was to move the seat all the way BACK first to cut open the front part of the access panel. There was a mention of that in the instructions but it wasn't very clear.

I just answered a PM about how it went, and after typing out the whole response I figure it's best to post it for the whole site to have access to. Here it is.

Firstly, I consider myself reasonably competent when it comes to technical stuff so I didn't have any apprehension about diving in and tackling it. I can't assume anything about anyone else's abilities so obviously use your own discretion. I expect most people should be able to do this without issue though.

To tackle this, I printed the instructions from the mods4cars site and followed them mostly step by step.

I actually found the process itself pretty easy. The worst part of it was just getting my arms and hands in there to work. If you removed the seat, that would be easy as pie but I didn't have any instructions on me to take them out and when I looked at the sliders, there were some springs and stuff in there I didn't want to have to figure out so I just left it in place. It's worth noting that the left edge of the access panel is completely under the seat rail so you can't cut it nicely like you can the front and back. I just yanked on it and it tore open though. When you see the material the carpet backing is made of, you'll see that it isn't really a big deal to do that.

One thing I did extra that wasn't in the instructions was to remove the other two connectors from the control box thing so I could just take that out completely and move it out of the way.

Beyond that, I just followed the instructions step by step. There's two wire taps involved. People have said they've had issues with those but looking at them, they're pretty straightforward. You just put them on the wire and use pliers to clamp it shut. Then just be careful when attaching the connectors to them as apparently they can sometimes go on wrong. Mine went on with a bit of wiggling but no issues. The instructions are pretty clear about how these can go wrong though, so if you understand the concept and be careful, you should be fine.

Finally... it's worth knowing that there's absolutely ZERO force necessary to remove the black connector from the blue one or to remove the tiny wires from the black connector. I mean none at all. If you find you need to tug at all, then stop and re-evaluate what you're doing. Someone posted here about breaking the big black one that's in the blue one. I'm not sure how that happened but again... if you're pulling on it with more than minimal force then you're doing it wrong. You can see where there's a tab holding it in place, and on the blue part there's a little bit with a slot in it. You can stick a small screwdriver in that slot and pry the blue part open just enough to release the black part. Then it slides right out easy.

For the two tiny connectors on the wires, you need a pin or a tiny jewellers screwdriver to release the tiny tab that's holding them and then they slide right out. They'll go part-way... then you use the pin again to release where the pin has caught (you'll see the opening) and they slide out the rest of the way. Again... ZERO force here. I can't imagine breaking them if you don't ever tug on them, but if you get the thought in your head that maybe you need to tug just a little bit... well then they'll probably break in an instant. They're quite tiny.

That's about all there is to it as far as tips go.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I've had my smart top for 18 months now. It works great and the reliability is perfect. No glitches and I like the comfort windows. One interesting point is that if you open up the top and then start the engine the top stops moving and gets stuck in mid-position. Until you push the button again. Kinda weird but not a big deal.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I've had my smart top for 18 months now. It works great and the reliability is perfect. No glitches and I like the comfort windows. One interesting point is that if you open up the top and then start the engine the top stops moving and gets stuck in mid-position. Until you push the button again. Kinda weird but not a big deal.
This doesn't surprise me. A lot of cars seem to cut power to just about everything but the starter motor when starting a car. That probably interrupts the module and leaves it having no idea what it was just doing. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just did the install...not hard at all. Just cramped work space. Works perfectly!!
In terms of my behavior change..I used to come home with the top down and then come out later, put the top up and then put the cover on. Now as I walk away I triple click or hold for 3 seconds and the top is up....Awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just went thru this process today also. It was a huge PITA! If I could if found someplace willing to do this for me I would have but I couldn’t find a shop willing to take it on. The small space you have to work with is straight garbage. Technically it’s extremely easy but man I had to contort myself 15 different ways from Sunday to get at that stupid little box. I didn’t want to mess with removing the seat and apparently it doesn’t move up as far as other pictures I’ve seen. After 5 hours and many curse words and beers later I was finally able to get it hooked up and back into place. It’s working like a champ now though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
For future reference, to get access to the module under the seat, you don't need to remove the seat from the car. Just unbolt it from the floor and move it all the way forward under the steering wheel. This makes access much much easier. I did this when I installed my sport exhaust.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used quick connectors to make an adapter allowing easy removal and replacement. Porsche takes exception with this sort of thing when one is experiencing electrical issues! Usually I just disable via programming but I had an issue that required complete removal. Once done, it made the removal process quick and easy.

No need to remove or unbolt the seat if the top is down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts