Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Installing reliability mods - labor-saving tips?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  JLCaymanS 
#1 ·
Hey there, prepping my car for the track and will have my mechanic install the following parts.

Mantis 2.0 L Deep Sump
997 S Oil Cooler
Mantis Underdrive Pulley (and new belt)
New OEM water pump
Low Temp Thermostat

I'd like to save on labor as much as possible and was wondering if it would be advantageous to install any or all of these at the same time.

Also, I'll probably eventually install a

987 Motorsport AOS
3rd Radiator (Suncoast kit)

Would I save much on labor by having these installed with the rest of the parts? Any other mods I'm missing or should take care of "while in there"?

TIA

#2 ·
The pulley and water pump would probably save you some time since they are both in the same area. I am not sure on the low temp thermostat since I have not done that upgrade yet. But since its related to the coolant it would probably be a good idea to get that done at the same time.

Oil cooler and deep sump would also be good candidates to be done at the same time.

#3 ·
Also 996 swirl pots will be easy to do while you have the sump off.

#5 ·
When installing the 997S oil cooler you will have interference with the throttle body unless your car has a Softronics or IPD throttle body.

I would group all coolant related mods into one session: low temp thermostat, water pump, third radiator and oil cooler if possible.

#6 ·
@Boiler, to install the 996 swirl pots I would have to modify the windage tray on the mantis sump to accommodate them. Did you do this to your Mantis Sump? If so, how difficult was the modification?

I estimate with parts and labor, the additional cost would be ~$200 to add the swirl pots. I'm sure they won't hurt, but after speaking to some people, I'm not fully convinced they would make a difference. However, I'd love to hear your opinion.

#8 ·
Yes I had to drill out holes in the baffle plate. If you search on here you can surely find a picture to give you an idea where to cut them. Do the swirl pots help? I cant say for sure.

#7 ·
Rob, thanks for the input. My car does have the IPD TB and plennum so should fit.

Bill, I'll probably skip on the p/s cooler for now, I heard that by pulling a check valve in the P/S hose, that would do the trick in terms of avoiding overheating. But yeah, sounds like I should do the AOS and 3rd Radiator before the others, or perhaps all at the same time!

I'll keep you posted

#10 ·
After further consideration, and some more research, decided to skip the swirl pots. After talking to a few people, I have come to learn that some people in the know recommend the stock swirl pots over the 996 ones. So at the very least, it will save me from cutting holes into the Windage tray.

Rob, why the switch to FVD? They were my next closest consideration but ended up going with Mantis due to the larger capacity and was able to get in on the 20% off group buy making the 2.0L sump comparable in price.

#11 · (Edited)
The 996 swirl pots are not used with the LN engineering deep sump. They provide the stock Cayman oil discharge pipes.

I decided to go with a more complete X51 style solution including the baffles around the oil pickup and the third oil scavenge pump. My theory is that Porsche came up with this solution and they might be onto something. Due their racing programs they have come up with solutions for most track use shortcomings on our cars ( 987 AOS, electric power steering pump, etc ).

The FVD sump adds about 0.6 liters of additional oil and has better ground clearance. My car has an Accusump too which has the advantage of being able to pressurize the engine oiling system prior to engine start so I have extra oil on tap.

#12 ·
You have been given some good advice above on how to start on the moods contemplated. I have been down this road trip as others above have as well. However it would be prudent to add up the cost of all of these mods and the additional labor costs. Then check and see if it may be worth using that money towards a trade in for a 987.2 , which has addressed these issues and more. An 09 CS may be within your budget and it should be strongly considered. Good luck with all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.