Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Installing Sport Plus button on car without Sport Chrono

96K views 169 replies 63 participants last post by  Crazy Turbo Beast 
#1 · (Edited)
I just found some information from a Porsche install manual that makes me think it's possible to add a Sport Plus button to a car without the Sport Chrono package. Has anyone else explored this? My SA said we can poke around the PIWIS computer when I'm there next and see if it's possible. If a PSE button can be added, why not a Sport Plus button! :)

My intelligence tells me you should be able to navigate in the PIWIS to:

Select Air Conditioning in the control overview unit, press F12.
Then select 2-zone Air Conditioning control unit. Switch to Codings/adaptations menu and press F12.
Then select Customer-specific settings in the coding/adaptations menu. Press F12.
Then select the coding value Keypad Assignment. Press F12.
Then set the first coding value of Keypad Assignment Left to the value Not Assigned. Select Sport Plus in the drop-down menu. Press F8 to continue.
Then the message "Coding has been written successfully" is displayed.

#7 ·
I am definitely interested in this...
I have already retofited the sport suspension with spacers, the Porsche Sport Exhaust, and if I could get this upgrade - that would get me over the hump of getting a car "off the lot"...
Porsche (or at least Suncoast) is getting smart with offering these software packages, suspensions, etc. where at one time - they left it to the aftermarket suppliers...there is something about getting it from the factory, etc.

#12 ·
I just had my 981 Boxster retrofitted with the PSE - I had it done at the dealer that I purchased the car from - one caveat - they wanted to charge me over $800 more for the PSE itself...prior to getting it done I spoke to both the parts manager and the service manager and took in a print out of Suncoast's website ad for the PSE for $2,050 (+$50 for shipping) and asked them to match the price...with a few cringing faces later them stated they would match it...BTW - make sure that they understand that the console part is INCLUDED in that price (it is stated in the Suncoast ad) - they wanted to charge me an additional $344 more...also they need to order it at the same time as the PSE - it in NOT included with the PSE - a separate part all together....the total came to $2,950 for parts and labor (I had my own tips from Fabspeed that were used)...not too bad since the price from the factory is $2,825 without tips...
it seems that Suncoast is extremely aggressive with putting these packages together (purchased the Sport Suspension from them also - again a package that is put together from them exclusively) and the dealers are not happy in having to deal with them...

#15 ·
Hmm I guess the question I have is with MT does this mean auto rev matching? And if there is a new harness..how much crazy re wiring and removal of trim work?

#16 ·
It wouldn't be a problem - if you read the entire ad it is to be installed by a dealer...too much computer related work - you need to give them your VIN number, the information goes back to Germany, etc. and BTW - that console comes right up and all those buttons can be taken in and out...

#17 ·
Oh I see. Missed the bottom dealer note. I've done front and center console work on my 986 before but I always worry about scuffing or damage from taking things apart. Cool tho. If it comes out for 981 will have to think about it.

#21 · (Edited)
Subscribing...as this just became a BIG question with me.
I have a Gen. 1 Cayman S, full race, setup for the ITC and had engine issues a few weeks ago. I just purchased an '09 PDK Boxster S salvage car at 19K mi. and am going to retrofit the entire harness, 9A1 motor and PDK setup, just figured out it does not have the Sport + option and we were discussing how to retrofit it at the track this weekend, between two Cayman teams...this seemed to be somewhat of a mystery to all so here I go, forging into uncharted territory.

Any info. on this will be helpful.

Between another Planet-9 member and I, we hope to get a nice writeup on here of our experiences, he's doing the same with a 2012 Cayman S salavage car and moving everything to a 2006 tub...his 2012 purchase came with Sport +...so he has a little less to worry about. :D

He knows nothing of my plans to drag him into a writeup...so shhhhhhh... ;)

#23 ·
Yes, I have my 2013 Boxster 2.7 retro fit the Sport Plus without Chrono. Now I have the G-force, launch control, and gear change adviser ( a gear indicator that turn red to indicate a good time to shift gear).

#25 ·
#27 ·
He hasn't responded. Only 1 post.

I don't get his statement.

He says he has Launch and Gear Change advisor. Launch is PDK and Gear Change is 6MT so I'm confused.

Reactions: Finally @ 57
#28 · (Edited)
Sorry, I was away from internet for a while. Also, I would like to apologize for my poor English.

Here in Taiwan, we have a Porsche 981 club and one of our members went so far to acquire a Porsche computer that he can hook up with 981 and activate many options such as turning on or off daylight lamp, adding options such as Sport Plus, changing the rear tail wing angle and height, changing the speed about when to elevate the tail wing,...
On my Boxster 2.7, I have PDK sport wheel so I can manually change from 1 to 7 gear and the shift gear assist comes in handy and it look fun. the circle turns red indicating the timing of gear shift. Gee, he can even change the ignition photo to "Boxster GTS" or even "911 50th" if you wish. My photo shows 911 50th but of course I did not use it. He charges around USD 1200 including "Sport Plus" button.
Font Auto part Car Vehicle Multimedia

Reactions: Sebast007
#30 ·
Sorry, I was away from internet for a while. Also, I would like to apologize for my poor English.

Here in Taiwan, we have a Porsche 981 club and one of our members went so far to acquire a Porsche computer that he can hook up with 981 and activate many options such as turning on or off daylight lamp, adding options such as Sport Plus, changing the rear tail wing angle and height, changing the speed about when to elevate the tail wing,...
On my Boxster 2.7, I have PDK sport wheel so I can manually change from 1 to 7 gear and the shift gear assist comes in handy and it look fun. the circle turns red indicating the timing of gear shift. Gee, he can even change the ignition photo to "Boxster GTS" or even "911 50th" if you wish. My photo shows 911 50th but of course I did not use it. He charges around USD 1200 including "Sport Plus" button.
View attachment 53131

The pictures of the instrument cluster are not from a 981. If you look to at the bottom right corner of three of the photos (911 50, 1st gear, and the tach) you can see part of an analog fuel gauge which is not on the 981.

#34 ·
Once again, I apologize for the confusion I have caused. Here comes my own photos.

Sport Plus without chrono
Vehicle Car Center console Gear shift Luxury vehicle

Daytime light switched off
Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Tachometer Auto part

Daytime light switched on
Speedometer Gauge Car Vehicle Auto part

Gear shift assist
Gauge Car Vehicle Luxury vehicle Measuring instrument

G Force indicator
Luxury vehicle Car Vehicle Gauge Measuring instrument

Performance in Torque
Speedometer Gauge Vehicle Car Measuring instrument

Reactions: Mike R.
#35 ·
Performance
Gauge Luxury vehicle Speedometer Measuring instrument Auto part

Sport Plus on
Technology Electronic device Car Gadget Center console
Car Vehicle Luxury vehicle Speedometer Auto part

I did not change the ignition photo
Black Vehicle Automotive design Darkness Car

I dare not take picture and try Launch Control at the same time. You just need to believe me it's there.

Reactions: Sebast007
#44 ·
Performance
View attachment 53208

Sport Plus on
View attachment 53209 View attachment 53210

I did not change the ignition photo
View attachment 53211

I dare not take picture and try Launch Control at the same time. You just need to believe me it's there.
Hi!

I'm fixed ops for a Porsche dealer and have great access to the PIWIS tester and Porsche resources however, I am curious what settings he coded on. If you are able to get me in touch with him that would be great. I'm extreme fluent with PIWIS 2 and would be able to provide more insight for the forums if I can get in touch with your coder.

Let me know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.