Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Schnell SSK from Vertex Auto a couple of weeks ago, and began the installation today. I'm in a quandry as to how to remove the shift knob and boot, as the instructions show a 996 or Boxster (1st gen.) which is different. I've seen at least two different ways to supposedly remove the shift knob, one showing prying up the top cap and removing a torx screw, another showing the front silver piece coming off. I'm not sure how to go about this and don't want to mess up my shift knob or break anything getting the boot and surround out. I've gotten all the torx screws out behind the boot, but that part is holding me up. Help!

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
easiest way is to pop off the top of the shifter (silver part w/ the gear pattern)...

remove the 2 tiny torx screws

separate the 2 halves of the shift knob... one side comes out of the leather boot easily...

then twist the remaining part of the shift knob a little at a time (to get the right position relative to the plastic thing in the leather boot) and pull...

might be easiest to pull the leather boot and the 2nd half of the shift knob (ie don't even take them apart)...

I know that getting the leather boot back "just right" was a PITA for me...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I just came back to the computer to check on answers, I got the rearmost part of the knob off, popped the cap, took the two tiny torx screws out, and I'm going back to work on the rest of the knob now. I got the boot surround free with a "L" shaped torx wrench I happend to have in the right size for the two front screws, was able to go down through the holes where the boot attaches and remove them so I didn't have to take the side carpet pieces out as some have suggested. I'm nearly there now!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm stuck again. I got the knob off, but two screws are holding the console in place, one on the passenger side behind the carpeted hump where the accessory 12v socket is located and the other in the center under the center stack. I've tried to figure out how to get that carpeted hump off, so far I cannot. I think I can get the center screw out but witout the other one I'm no better off.

Installing the shifter itself will be easy if I can ever figure out how to get the console out.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have them opened on my computer, have referred to them several times throughout the process, but I can't figure how to get the carpeted hump in the passenger footwell out so I can get that last console screw off. Someone says there is a screw hidden in the carpet, well its well hidden because I haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got it off. There were NO screws holding the hump on, not counting the big torx screw at the top that screwed into the HVAC stuff. I finally pulled it backwards and the clips holding it on released. I got that screw out, drilled a hole in the plastic sunglass bin to access the final screw, and now I just have to get the wiring harness released and it will come out. As usual, first time is a bear, after that its pretty easy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
First question is, do you have Bose? Sounds like you do as you talk about a carpeted hump. If so you have to remove that first. There is a screw behind the little plastic divider. The divider snaps in so remove it to see the screw. Remove the screw and then the whole bose speaker slides back and out of the way. Then if I remember correctly, there is a large torx screw behind that which holds the carpeted piece on.

The center screw under the stack is difficult unless you remove the side panels and center cubby. Some people have made a special wrench to get that loose but I found it very easy to remove the side panels.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I just posted, it came off with the one big screw removed from holding the speaker hump to the HVAC. No other pieces in the way of the screw holding the console, and I simply drilled a hole in the front of the cubbyhole to access the other screw. It won't show when the shift surround is back in place, so no biggie. Porsche should have put a hole there anyway.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the SSK installed, and everything buttoned back up fine, with one exception. I cannot figure out how to install the part underneath the shift knob. I know it twists to lock onto the bottom of the knob, but since both it and the knob are locked into on position because of the flats on the shift lever, how can it turn once on the lever to lock on the knob? I've put everything together with it just sitting underneath the boot for now, but I'd appreciate some help if anyone knows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts