Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Didn't see much as far as (Quality)videos or independent reviews about this exhaust but the price was worth taking a chance($670.00) and with a 30 day return policy i thought what the heck i will be the guinea pig and actually do a independent non bias test review on this product.I have Owned 4 Caymans /Boxsters and always put some sort of aftermarket exhaust on them all so i know what some of the good ones sound like and the quality of fitment and materials .
Due to arrive Friday . Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking forward to hearing/seeing this one! I came across this brand too when I was shopping for my 981. Found a lot of 987 sound examples, but was only able to find this short example for a 981
. Good luck, post afterwards!

·
Registered
56 Posts
We've sold quite a few to 987 clients. They're a good option if you're looking for a budget exhaust. I've had the opportunity to visit with them a few times over the years. I've felt the titanium one which isn't badly priced for the material, anxious to hear vs the stainless.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Looking forward to hearing/seeing this one! I came across this brand too when I was shopping for my 981. Found a lot of 987 sound examples, but was only able to find this short example for a 981
. Good luck, post afterwards!
Sounds nice Kevin, wonder about any drone on a PDK car.. which brand it is?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exhaust Arrived on time as promised to my shop ! So far so good for Monday 8;30 installation .
I will take some photos and videos before and after and of course my opinion of the quality of the sound as compared to the several i have heard and owned .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Box was packed nicely ,Quality looks to be pretty good installation being performed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Exhaust finally installed it took 2.5 hours for the shop to install it ,The shop had to replace some of the brackets provided as they said they were not strong enough to make a proper seal ,no huge issue but a DIY is not recommended for this installation that's for sure . First start up of the car and it sounds great from the outside . Revving it up it sounds good lots of pops and crackling when it back pressures, not sure if i like that too much its definitely on the loud side of the exhausts i have heard ,similar to Fabspeed Racing Exhaust perhaps but more pops and crackling .On the freeway (PDK) in 6th or 7th going 65 it drones if you are using any kind of torque so bad i had to do the manual shift to 5th to make is sound correct and get rid of the drone so basically i wont be able to use the automatic transmission on the FWY ,that's kinda annoying
so i am currently 50/50 on returning this Exhaust .I will drive it some more and see if its to my liking but its probably overkill for me but i will wait and see if it mellows some .
sounds real good if it just didn't drone

·
Registered
25 Posts
Exhaust finally installed it took 2.5 hours for the shop to install it ,The shop had to replace some of the brackets provided as they said they were not strong enough to make a proper seal ,no huge issue but a DIY is not recommended for this installation that's for sure . First start up of the car and it sounds great from the outside . Revving it up it sounds good lots of pops and crackling when it back pressures, not sure if i like that too much its definitely on the loud side of the exhausts i have heard ,similar to Fabspeed Racing Exhaust perhaps but more pops and crackling .On the freeway (PDK) in 6th or 7th going 65 it drones if you are using any kind of torque so bad i had to do the manual shift to 5th to make is sound correct and get rid of the drone so basically i wont be able to use the automatic transmission on the FWY ,that's kinda annoying
so i am currently 50/50 on returning this Exhaust .I will drive it some more and see if its to my liking but its probably overkill for me but i will wait and see if it mellows some .
sounds real good if it just didn't drone

Ugh, sorry to hear that! Spot on with why I removed/returned the Fabspeed valvetronic system. Made my 981BS sound like a beefed up Chevelle SS and the drone was :eek:.The overall sound/tone output just didnt match a Porsche at all. Was loud, but in all the wrong ways. (at least in my opinion)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ugh, sorry to hear that! Spot on with why I removed/returned the Fabspeed valvetronic system. Made my 981BS sound like a beefed up Chevelle SS and the drone was :eek:.The overall sound/tone output just didnt match a Porsche at all. Was loud, but in all the wrong ways. (at least in my opinion)
Yes beefed up chevelle exactly !! was trying to put my finger on it ,makes the car almost sound like a V-8

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes beefed up chevelle exactly !! was trying to put my finger on it ,makes the car almost sound like a V-8
Yep! Unfortunately it only got worse the longer it was on. Mine has the OE PSE and I got to the frustration point of wouldn't even use it/run it with valves open because it was so uncharacteristic of a Porsche. Has it changed at all now that its been on for a little?

I'm tossing the idea around right now of doing Soul sport headers with the OE PSE. I just did the Softronic tune (took advantage of the 20% sale right now) and BMC intakes, those two alone were a very nice increase! Sadly I've been very standoffish of exhausts since having to remove the Fabspeed.

549 Posts
Yep! Unfortunately it only got worse the longer it was on. Mine has the OE PSE and I got to the frustration point of wouldn't even use it/run it with valves open because it was so uncharacteristic of a Porsche. Has it changed at all now that its been on for a little?

I'm tossing the idea around right now of doing Soul sport headers with the OE PSE. I just did the Softronic tune (took advantage of the 20% sale right now) and BMC intakes, those two alone were a very nice increase! Sadly I've been very standoffish of exhausts since having to remove the Fabspeed.
Thank you for considering us. We'll take them back if they don't meet your needs. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns

-Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
In my final conclusion regarding this product its not all bad .
The Good.
#1 .If you drive mostly in sport shift mode or own a manual shift I would recommend this product as its as raw sounding as it gets(Fabspeed Supercup knockoff) and you can control the drone as long as you keep the RPM's up over 2k
#2 .The price and Quality is A+
#3. Good bump in power

The Bad
#1.my wife occasionally drives my car she will hate this because its LOUD!
#2.Cannot drive in Automatic mode due to excessive drone in 6th and 7th gear

I had several people I work with at Ford listen to the car and not one has disliked it or said it was too loud in fact everyone has told me they love the sound so maybe i am going to drive it some more before jumping to any conclusions .I listened to lots of videos today ,some Borla, Remus ,Fabspeed ,Soul ,agency power all seem pretty load as well . Borla seems even louder so for $700.00 its not bad:)

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Purchased this system and gave it a try——sounds terrific with the top down but drones big time between 1800 and 2200 RPM and PDK exacerbates the effect. Removing it and putting factory exhaust back on. Up from sale if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Purchased this system and gave it a try——sounds terrific with the top down but drones big time between 1800 and 2200 RPM and PDK exacerbates the effect. Removing it and putting factory exhaust back on. Up from sale if anyone is interested.
Yea the darn drone . I found if you drive it in sport mode doing my own shifting there is no drone ,kinda sounds like Jaguar F -type with all the pops and crackles it sounds wicked ! Its the deep tone that I just do not personally like
i am looking for a higher pitched sound .Probably just going to have to bite the bullet and get the Remus witch i can trust because that's what i had before and its amazing

549 Posts
I invite anyone worried about drone to consider our exhausts - which are built around encouraging an exciting exhaust note while minimizing drone. It's easy to make an exhaust loud, but takes proper engineering to coax the proper sound out. We offer a money back guarantee if it doesn't meet your expectations. :)

-Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts