Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Thanks again for the warm welcome in response to my New Owner thread. After a little over a week at home I have a couple of questions regarding Instrument operation.:confused:

I sat in the car with the owners manual going through everything and getting things set the way I want. One of the things I set was the Vehicle display. I added the Veh Voltage as the 4th Line in the display. After adding it I confirmed it by pressing the Confirm button. It looked great. Next time I went to drive the car, it was gone, so I set it again. Next time I used the car, it was gone...you get the idea. Am I missing something?

Also, I can not seem to keep the fan in the OFF position. Everytime I start the car the fan turns on automatically. I hold the dial down till the fan shows OFF, but when I start the car the next time the fan is on. I am obviously doing something incorrectly...what?

Thanks.

·
Registered
728 Posts
nothing you can do about the fan. Its a feature of the climate control that is prevalent in a lot of new cars, and it is annoying.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
If you have memory package then set everything the way you wanted then save it to memory 3.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...I missed the whole thing about memory 3 and the key. All set now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks...I missed the whole thing about memory 3 and the key. All set now.
Gets, are you saying that there is not chance to save settings for cluster display?

I've got a standard CGTS (no memory package or something like that) and soon will customise the cluster, interested in oil temp, pressure, water temp, battery voltage, any other engine parameter temp/press.

Thanks in advance for clarifications.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
On cars without memory package the display will stay as you set it.

Nothing you can do about fan

Gets, are you saying that there is not chance to save settings for cluster display?

I've got a standard CGTS (no memory package or something like that) and soon will customise the cluster, interested in oil temp, pressure, water temp, battery voltage, any other engine parameter temp/press.

Thanks in advance for clarifications.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi All

Thanks again for the warm welcome in response to my New Owner thread. After a little over a week at home I have a couple of questions regarding Instrument operation.:confused:

I sat in the car with the owners manual going through everything and getting things set the way I want. One of the things I set was the Vehicle display. I added the Veh Voltage as the 4th Line in the display. After adding it I confirmed it by pressing the Confirm button. It looked great. Next time I went to drive the car, it was gone, so I set it again. Next time I used the car, it was gone...you get the idea. Am I missing something?

Also, I can not seem to keep the fan in the OFF position. Everytime I start the car the fan turns on automatically. I hold the dial down till the fan shows OFF, but when I start the car the next time the fan is on. I am obviously doing something incorrectly...what?

Thanks.
That's strange you can't keep the fan off. In my parents cayenne, I'm able to keep the fan off upon re-entry.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
clarification for the OP
The "memory function" is part of the package when you order either the 14-way or 18-way seats. You can store the seat, mirror, steering wheel settings in driver door buttons 1 or 2. But button 3 is the only button that will save all the other settings such as climate control temp/fan, instrument display, etc.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
On cars without memory package the display will stay as you set it.
Good to know. I was looking in the owner's manual about options... I want to add the compass function.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Good to know. I was looking in the owner's manual about options... I want to add the compass function.
Back in the days before GPS, I had a compass in the car. A lot of my cruising is done on roads I've never been on before, and I had no idea where I was going. But if I knew I was generally north of home, I needed to head south sometime. Sometimes the sun would be obscured by overcast or a forest; so a compass was a very good thing to have.

I've had portable GPS for several years, and they display a compass and the speed limit for most roads. To me, those are both useful bits of info. The P navi doesn't show that info; so I put both of them into the MFD display.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Back in the days before GPS, I had a compass in the car. A lot of my cruising is done on roads I've never been on before, and I had no idea where I was going. But if I knew I was generally north of home, I needed to head south sometime. Sometimes the sun would be obscured by overcast or a forest; so a compass was a very good thing to have.

I've had portable GPS for several years, and they display a compass and the speed limit for most roads. To me, those are both useful bits of info. The P navi doesn't show that info; so I put both of them into the MFD display.
My 2013 with the Infotainment package (but no memory) can be set to display speed limit info although it partially obscures the 4th line on the dash display.

My last experience with an accessory automotive "compass" was a precision :crazy: unit (ca. $3.99, IIRC) I mounted on a BMW motorcycle for a cross country trip back in the 1970's. As it read North when heading West, East when heading North, etc., I wasn't unhappy when it fell off in Mississippi. Luckily, I had sunny weather for most of the trip!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That's how I'd use it, more or less. I had a huge hardwired Airguide boat compass in my Datsun 510, it's still in a box in the basement somewhere, but I wouldn't want it on the dashtop in the Boxster.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My 2013 with the Infotainment package (but no memory) can be set to display speed limit info although it partially obscures the 4th line on the dash display.

My last experience with an accessory automotive "compass" was a precision :crazy: unit (ca. $3.99, IIRC) I mounted on a BMW motorcycle for a cross country trip back in the 1970's. As it read North when heading West, East when heading North, etc., I wasn't unhappy when it fell off in Mississippi. Luckily, I had sunny weather for most of the trip!
With compass and speed limit 'sign' loaded into the MFD of my car, nothing is partially obscured. Maybe you used a different line than I used for the compass.

I'd question the quality of anything costing only $3.99, even in the 1970s! Given that your compass was giving readings eastward of your actual direction, I assume you were on the west coast. A magnetic (non-GPS) compass indicates direction relative to magnetic north; which is in northern Canada generally above the US Midwest. Just out of curiosity, I did a google search ... in my home state of WA, indicated direction of a magnetic compass will be skewed 20 degrees to the east of the true direction.

Reactions: Mike R.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts