Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was Zainoing the car for the first time (more on Zaino later) and confirmed what I suspected when I heard a thump Friday when a truck passed going the other day -- a stone strike on the hood. Not sure how big the rock was but it went through the bra and the paint and if you look close, a tiny depression in the metal. I estimate 1/2" long, almost immeasurable width and depth.

Now what (other than 'live with it")? Not sure if you can do PDR with the bra in place, or touch up of the paint.

:(:(:(

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Not sure why you couldn't do a PDR with the clear bra in place. Those proceddures are almost always done from the underside of the panel. Only way to know for sure is to stop at your local supplier and ask. Touching up paint is a totally different matter and unlikely that it can be done with the clear bra in place.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure why you couldn't do a PDR with the clear bra in place. Those proceddures are almost always done from the underside of the panel. Only way to know for sure is to stop at your local supplier and ask. Touching up paint is a totally different matter and unlikely that it can be done with the clear bra in place.:cheers:
Probably right about PDR and now to wonder whether to get is done "now" or wait until I have multiple repairs on the hood (a depressing thought). Meanwhile, I went on Suncoast's website to see if they had Guards Red touch-up; they do, but at $26/tube, I think maybe it's made of unicorn blood.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rock or some other object hit and gouged my front bumper with Venture-shield installed. The removed the shield, patched the bumper and reapplied a shield at their cost.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
That's why I had clear bra and warranty from my dealer. If this ever happened to me the PDR is free, clear bra repair is free, so is a car loaner.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why I had clear bra and warranty from my dealer. If this ever happened to me the PDR is free, clear bra repair is free, so is a car loaner.
I had mine installed at the dealer, I contacted them and the response was "well, it would have been worse if you hadn't had the clear bra installed".

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Unfortunately, it's a clear bra and not an armor shield. It will not protect you against everything coming your way but certainly helps with the small stuff.

I had mine installed at the dealer, I contacted them and the response was "well, it would have been worse if you hadn't had the clear bra installed".

Reactions: tiger1964

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately, it's a clear bra and not an armor shield. It will not protect you against everything coming your way but certainly helps with the small stuff.
Exactly. $1200+ to protect in a narrow band of potential impacts. I think I could have paid for rather a lot of PDR for that amount.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No argument from me. As I've said before, these cars are meant to be driven. Wear and tear is inevitable. Enjoy the drive and don't sweat the small stuff.

UOTE=tiger1964;893977]Exactly. $1200+ to protect in a narrow band of potential impacts. I think I could have paid for rather a lot of PDR for that amount.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: beleary

·
Registered
20 Posts
add my 2 cents on this, guy in front of me at intersection rolled back into me and his tow hitch ended up about a foot into my hood. The front bumper cover had to be replaced and had a 3 inch wide mess right up the center of the hood. I thought for sure the body shop was going to have to remove xpel, straighten out paint, possibly respray and then get film re-installed. They were able to buff out the scrape from the film and it looks like new. That saved about $500 right there. I love the xpel!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Personally I would not get the clear bra again.

Sure it protects the car from minor rock chips, but that leaves the car looking like crap rest of the time. And then these big rocks come and hit the car, and I ended up paying for new film AND paint job. It just doesn't add up for me.

I would much rather live with rock chips and just have my stuff painted again if needed from time to time. And my car doesn't need to look like crap in the mean time. Painting a bumper and doing minor color matching costs about 500-800 bucks in where I live; it really isn't that crazy in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
[SUB]On a related note ... my friend has had the film on his entire car done for about 3.5K a few years ago.

His car recently got hit in the rear fenders. Now he got stuck in this funny situation where the other party refused to pay him 3.5K to rewrap the whole car, as only a small part of the film was damaged. But then his car would look very funny given how the existing film has faded through these years on his 2011 987.2 BS. Looks like he's gonna have to just peel off the film for the entire car and live with naked paint again. So much about the protection and work done.

To me this whole film / clear bra business just makes no sense to me.[/SUB]

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Is there a correlation between those who put the plastic on and those who follow the break in period? Both topics generate lots of controversy.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Shame on the bra men....ladies get a pass here....wait, what am I saying.....shame on the bra people! ;)

OK....I admit it.....I have had a bra on both of my p-cars and I would do it again, even after a road incident where flying debris cut through the bra and into the bumper and the hood. Everyone makes their own decision on this, but for our DD, the bra adds some peace of mind for the minor stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts