Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
GM made this one easy on me by not giving me the opportunity to try out the Vette. :D

Reactions: nomead

·
Registered
432 Posts
https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/porsche-cayman-gts-vs-chevrolet-corvette-stingray

well written and as one who has been pondering the 2 for some time, they capture the dilemma quite well...
If Chevy follows through on the 'Zora' version of the Vette and makes a mid engined car with the Vette's motor I think it has the potential to be quite special (the end result always depends on the execution of course, they screwed up the Fiero at first and by the time it was starting to get to be a nice little car the Fiero name as a brand was ruined).

The C7 is quite good, a huge leap forward for Chevy, but I feel that the C7 and Cayman are very different cars. The C7 doesn't disappoint at all with its driving, but my guess is you know right away if you want to be a Corvette guy or a Porsche guy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The C7 is quite good, a huge leap forward for Chevy, but I feel that the C7 and Cayman are very different cars. The C7 doesn't disappoint at all with its driving, but my guess is you know right away if you want to be a Corvette guy or a Porsche guy.
I must be a Porsche guy. When the new Corvette came out I was really excited about the car until I saw the first one in person. I drove to a local dealership and the one car they had was semi-hiding in a back row. As I got closer and saw it, I completely lost interest and drove off. Didn't even stop to get a better look. Just kept driving.

Although the interior is finally up to GM standards, the design is just not what I want in my driveway regardless of the performance of the car.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'd be willing to bet good money that the author of this 'fluff' piece never even drove the cars!-Richard

Reactions: Spectre

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
What about the fact that each Cayman engine is hand built and individually bench tested? Or pistons and rods are individually matched? Or the number of Engineering hours that have gone into the Cayman design vs Chevy? Etc etc etc?

The article focuses on the cars as if you are looking at them on a dealer lot. It does not call out all of the behind-the-scenes differences.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I didn't care for the Corvette interior . . . but I have always been a Porsche person. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I've owned a 2005 C6 coupe with the Z51 setup, and a 2009 C6 convertible with the F55 magnetic suspension. Both had six speed manual transmissions. They were both fun, fast, handled reasonably well, and always had enough torque to impress. I have not owned a C7, and understand they are an improvement over the previous generation. I'm not getting rid of my Porsche.

I think the bottom line is that there is a real difference in how GM and Porsche build their cars. There is also a difference in the design concepts used to come up with a final product, and who that product appeals to.

Porsche always seems to use a conservative and evolutionary approach in the styling of its vehicles. They are both classic and classy at the same time. Interiors, while not plush, are always ergonomically spot on and the seats do exactly what they're supposed to do ... which is to offer support and comfort at all speeds. Everything in a Porsche seems to work in harmony, with a sense of balance and fluidity that few other cars can match. "Somebody really paid attention to what they were doing here," is a thought that has frequently come to mind.

My experience with two Corvettes, over nearly nine years, was not quite the same. The goal of GM is to offer an affordable high performance car that can challenge Porsche's domination in the sports car world. Especially with the new C7, it has managed to create a formidable competitor to its arch rival. In terms of speed and handling prowess, the C7 is indeed giving Porsche a run for its money. That's good, because it only forces Porsche to make further improvements in its own line of cars.

What the Corvette doesn't offer, is the level of refinement and overall design finesse that is built into every Porsche product. The Corvette is built for a price, while Porsche is built for those who can afford one. That's not meant to sound elitist, but it is a fact that many more production shortcuts must be taken to hit the Corvette's price point. That also means that the Corvette is the single greatest bargain in any high performance sports car currently being sold. But ... don't expect the same attention to detail that one gets in a Porsche.

My own opinion is that the C7 is a bit garish in its styling. It has that "look at me" swagger that I am a little uncomfortable with. Also, based on my previous C6's, after the thrill of the torque wears off, you're left with a plastic car built by GM. I had numerous service issues with both my Vettes, and many complaints about really boneheaded "what were they thinking?" ergonomic blunders. The Vettes were fun, but my Porsche just "fits me" perfectly. For my spring/summer/fall fun car, I've always had a sports car in the garage. As much fun as I did have with my Vettes, they just never really felt like a true sports car to me. They always felt big and heavy ... and powerful .. even though they are no bigger than a typical 911. My little putt putt Boxster feels like a sports car, looks like a sports car, and handles like a slot car. I've said this before but, to me, my 981 S is as close to the perfect sports car as I've ever owned. I never said that about any of my Corvettes.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
What the Corvette doesn't offer, is the level of refinement and overall design finesse that is built into every Porsche product. The Corvette is built for a price, while Porsche is built for those who can afford one. That's not meant to sound elitist, but it is a fact that many more production shortcuts must be taken to hit the Corvette's price point. That also means that the Corvette is the single greatest bargain in any high performance sports car currently being sold. But ... don't expect the same attention to detail that one gets in a Porsche.
I understand and agree 100%. However, I rented a big GMC SUV for a week and I was surprised with the very nice fit and finish. GM has come a long way since I drove GM company cars/trucks back in the 70s and 80s. I assume that Corvette has come a long way too.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
If Chevy follows through on the 'Zora' version of the Vette and makes a mid engined car with the Vette's motor I think it has the potential to be quite special (the end result always depends on the execution of course, they screwed up the Fiero at first and by the time it was starting to get to be a nice little car the Fiero name as a brand was ruined).

Based on your avatar pick, take a vette to the track and it won't hold up for long. There are numerous reports on that all over the web: overheating, power reduction, etc. Plus you can't install a proper harness in it since the seats don't have a passthru.

I must be a Porsche guy. When the new Corvette came out I was really excited about the car until I saw the first one in person. I drove to a local dealership and the one car they had was semi-hiding in a back row. As I got closer and saw it, I completely lost interest and drove off. Didn't even stop to get a better look. Just kept driving.

Although the interior is finally up to GM standards, the design is just not what I want in my driveway regardless of the performance of the car.
Have to agree. Not a big friend of that transformer look. "finally up to GM stds" = oxymoron in my book ;)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I understand and agree 100%. However, I rented a big GMC SUV for a week and I was surprised with the very nice fit and finish. GM has come a long way since I drove GM company cars/trucks back in the 70s and 80s. I assume that Corvette has come a long way too.
Absolutely. Even Ford and Chrysler are getting much better and now offer very competitive products. Regarding the C7, it is a very fine car ... but also very different in many ways from Porsche cars. It all just comes down to what one is looking for in a car.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I owned a C5 and have driven subsequent interationa. I drove mine for 55,000 miles as a DD in the Atlanta area in a 75 mile a day round trip. It did very well by me and I enjoyed it. It is probably in my list of top 5 or 6 cars that I have owned. The thing about it is that it always drove 'big' and I was always very aware of its physical length and width. My series of Caymans (08 CS, CR, 981) drive small, tight, nimble, integrated, and highly communicative. What ranks ahead of the Corvette in my history............Mini Cooper S, E46 M3, 08 CS, CR, 981.......

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I owned a C5 and have driven subsequent interationa. I drove mine for 55,000 miles as a DD in the Atlanta area in a 75 mile a day round trip. It did very well by me and I enjoyed it. It is probably in my list of top 5 or 6 cars that I have owned. The thing about it is that it always drove 'big' and I was always very aware of its physical length and width. My series of Caymans (08 CS, CR, 981) drive small, tight, nimble, integrated, and highly communicative. What ranks ahead of the Corvette in my history............Mini Cooper S, E46 M3, 08 CS, CR, 981.......
Agree with all the above. My problem is that I don't have any gold chains- isn't that a requirement if you drive a Vette?

:hilarious:

John

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Agree with all the above. My problem is that I don't have any gold chains- isn't that a requirement if you drive a Vette?

:hilarious:

John
Actually, there is a difference in the owners of the two brands. I've always found many, not all, Vette owners are hyper-sensitive about their cars. Heaven help you if you direct any criticism towards a Vette. On the forums, anyone who isn't enthralled with Vetteness is almost instantly denounced as a troll, insulted, and badgered off the board. Mention a Porsche, a Mustang, or any competition, and the derogatory statements start flying. I have never seen this kind of behavior here ... in fact most of the guys here and on other Porsche forums are true "car guys" and love cars, not just brands. At the Porsche HPDE I recently attended, one guy was there with his Audi TT and commented on how he was always made to feel welcome whenever he showed up at a Porsche event. I know there are some great Corvette guys out there, but there are also many who are anything but.

Reactions: jpccarguy

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Actually, there is a difference in the owners of the two brands. I've always found many, not all, Vette owners are hyper-sensitive about their cars. Heaven help you if you direct any criticism towards a Vette. On the forums, anyone who isn't enthralled with Vetteness is almost instantly denounced as a troll, insulted, and badgered off the board. Mention a Porsche, a Mustang, or any competition, and the derogatory statements start flying. I have never seen this kind of behavior here ... in fact most of the guys here and on other Porsche forums are true "car guys" and love cars, not just brands. At the Porsche HPDE I recently attended, one guy was there with his Audi TT and commented on how he was always made to feel welcome whenever he showed up at a Porsche event. I know there are some great Corvette guys out there, but there are also many who are anything but.
Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I've never been able to describe a typical 'Porsche type' person. There are too many different people who are attracted to the brand. I admit my prejudice about Vette guys, though: overweight, white, bald guys with chains, often smokers. Now that I'm developing some of those characteristics, maybe I should start shopping C7's & Z06's.

John

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I've never been able to describe a typical 'Porsche type' person.

John
That's easy, John. Educated, financially comfortable, somewhat literate ... with the possible exception of not being able to tell the difference between "break" and "brake" ... considerate, an excellent and safe driver, a smoker of fine imported cigars and drinker of fine wines, married to a truly wonderful and tolerant spouse, donates to charities, a bit anal about cars, doesn't watch soap operas, orders pizza with no anchovies, and admits to a weakness for ice cream and chocolate. I think that covers it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's easy, John. Educated, financially comfortable, somewhat literate ... with the possible exception of not being able to tell the difference between "break" and "brake" ... considerate, an excellent and safe driver, a smoker of fine imported cigars and drinker of fine wines, married to a truly wonderful and tolerant spouse, donates to charities, a bit anal about cars, doesn't watch soap operas, orders pizza with no anchovies, and admits to a weakness for ice cream and chocolate. I think that covers it.
Hey! Don't knock anchovies! :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
What about the fact that each Cayman engine is hand built and individually bench tested? Or pistons and rods are individually matched? Or the number of Engineering hours that have gone into the Cayman design vs Chevy? Etc etc etc?

The article focuses on the cars as if you are looking at them on a dealer lot. It does not call out all of the behind-the-scenes differences.
Let's not get too carried away here. Along with the above we also have had slipped cylinder liners, leaking RMS, engine destroying IMS bearings, overheating power steering pumps, an oiling system that can't handle a sustained high G turn, and GT3 engine fires.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts