Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just re-reading the December 2009 issue of GTPorsche I recently bought and on page 21 there is an article about the new 911 GT3 RS. They were interviewing Andreas Preuninger who is Porsche's project manager for high performance cars and in particular asking about the GT3 RS. At the end of the article they had a box which contained Walter Rohl's view of the car. They asked Walter "Do you prefer the RS or the Turbo?", and this was his response:

"If I need a car for everyday, I would always choose the Turbo. But if I need a car for fun I will take the RS. For anybody who like sportscars, it is always a question of weight, so for me a Cayman RS would be the right thing." They had not even mentioned the Cayman. Walter brought it up.

Wow. It sounds like maybe Walter thinks that Porsche is perhaps developing the wrong car, now that the Cayman is here. ;)

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I was just re-reading the December 2009 issue of GTPorsche I recently bought and on page 21 there is an article about the new 911 GT3 RS. They were interviewing Andreas Preuninger who is Porsche's project manager for high performance cars and in particular asking about the GT3 RS. At the end of the article they had a box which contained Walter Rohl's view of the car. They asked Walter "Do you prefer the RS or the Turbo?", and this was his response:

"If I need a car for everyday, I would always choose the Turbo. But if I need a car for fun I will take the RS. For anybody who like sportscars, it is always a question of weight, so for me a Cayman RS would be the right thing."

Wow. It sounds like maybe Walter thinks that Porsche is perhaps developing the wrong car, now that the Cayman is here. ;)
Vic Elford said pretty much the same thing 4+ years ago, that Porsche needed to further develop the Cayman because it was a great platform, unfortunately it seems no one at Porsche agrees with the drivers. I'm sure if Walter asked for a Cayman RS they'd build him one, or I'd like to think so. We can always keep our fingers crossed that the new VW controlled management at Porsche will see things differently and try to exploit the Cayman platform as much as possible.

·
Registered
380 Posts
When the CS came out, Vic Elford was quoted as saying something to the effect of "It's the best production Porsche that I have ever driven".

That was reason enough for me to want one and eventual get one three years later.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I remember the Elford quote. That's the first time I heard Rohl make a similar statement about our beloved little car. Hopefully Piech feels the same way. Being that the 917 was his baby, it's a good bet he appreciates the vitues of mid-engine placement.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There was a youtube from motortrend or car and driver where Rohl said this. It was . He explained that it was easier to overtake other cars on the hwy in the turbo.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
It should would be nice if Porsche stepped up and developed the Cayman to it's full potential. Even Jeremy Clarkson said that he didn't like the Cayman (even though it did everything well) because the car was 'held back' by Porsche. He could respect a car that was not being build as good as it could be. I don't really care for Jeremy, but I do agree with him on this one (except I LOVE the Cayman).

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had seen both of the quotes mentioned. Seems as if Porsche could develop the 911 and Cayman equally and let natural selection take its course, keeping only the sales leader at some point. The components (engines, suspension) are all currently available in the Porsche parts bin, so how much additional cost to Porsche could be involved?

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Cayman 911.There done,all they have to do is replace a couple of stinking badges and put a turbo motor in there with a few other upgrades.Boy i feel better that was so easy.Hey wait a minute i can do that myself.I think i'll call it a 911 anyway;):taunt::) (Directed at Porsche not anyone on this site)

·
The driver formally known as Torque
895 Posts
Cayman 911.There done,all they have to do is replace a couple of stinking badges and put a turbo motor in there with a few other upgrades.Boy i feel better that was so easy.Hey wait a minute i can do that myself.I think i'll call it a 911 anyway;):taunt::) (Directed at Porsche not anyone on this site)
A 911 with the main engine in front of the rear wheels will never happen.:(

·
Registered
23 Posts
It should would be nice if Porsche stepped up and developed the Cayman to it's full potential. Even Jeremy Clarkson said that he didn't like the Cayman (even though it did everything well) because the car was 'held back' by Porsche. He could respect a car that was not being build as good as it could be. I don't really care for Jeremy, but I do agree with him on this one (except I LOVE the Cayman).
Porsche has at least made one "major" concession, because now Cayman is also available with LSD, which was one thing that Clarkson mentioned.

The Walter Rohrl video mentioned is here:

YouTube - Walter Röhrl on 911 GT3 vs. 911 Turbo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Getting there.Nice to see someone from Finland posting here.Boy and i complain about the cold wet weather:)
It's absolutely 100% ok to complain ;), because of the weather I don't live in Finland during the winter months myself, I am writing this message from Cannes, France.

By the way, we did have snow also here in Cannes one day, first time in 25 years!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't know if anyone has seen the Car & Driver Lightning Lap comparison in the February issue (I saw it this morning while at the barber's), but the '09 Cayman S and the '09 Carrara S turned identifcal times at VIR. It was such a surprise to the drivers that they swapped cars and tried again; identical times the second try!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if anyone has seen the Car & Driver Lightning Lap comparison in the February issue (I saw it this morning while at the barber's), but the '09 Cayman S and the '09 Carrara S turned identifcal times at VIR. It was such a surprise to the drivers that they swapped cars and tried again; identical times the second try!
I did see that! Nice. :)

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
There is a thread somewhere on here about the "Lightning Lap".

·
Registered
386 Posts
Porsche PLEASE make us a more powerful version Cayman... at least 500HP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts