Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about this 06 Cayman S and it's got this wild wood interior. I didn't like it at first, but it's starting to grow on me. What do you guys think? I'd imagine there are easy ways of of switching this stuff out if I want, right?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
The steering wheel, gearshift, and handbrake are easily switched. Check out some sponsors (Suncoast maybe) for some parts to get an idea of the cost. More important than these pieces is the car itself. Do you like the color and the options? Those are much more important than the interior trim in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I'm not into wood in Porsche's, but this is pure personal personal preference. If you like it, that's all that counts. While these parts can be replaced, it's expensive to do that. Unless the rest of the spec for the car is exactly what you want, or is simply a bargain, I'd pass if you're on the fence about the wood.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Honestly it looks a little "off". Takes away from the sporty look and sort of clashes with the interior in my opinion, but if you like it, go for it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hard to tell from the photos, but I think it could be very, very nice. And very rare. Always thought a green one with tan/brown interior and wood trim would be quite classy, and a nice contrast to the mostly colder, starker and "racier" combos around.

Mine is Lapis Blue and grey monotone interior, and I find it quite uninteresting. I wish I had some CF in mine, or maybe the black/grey two-tone interior. Next time...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like it! Breaks up the monotony of all the black and gray stuff.The only factory option I ordered on my Cayman was the basic wood package- brake handle, shift knob, and dash strip, but I'm a professional woodturner, so wood is good!

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Looks nice to me, but as others have said all else must be considered. I don't think I would go to the effort of switching out anything unless you have a buyer for the wood options to offset some of the cost.

The wood options from Porsche are very high quality and look good, but if its not your cup of tea,....pass, there are others out there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hard to tell from the photos, but I think it could be very, very nice. And very rare. Always thought a green one with tan/brown interior and wood trim would be quite classy, and a nice contrast to the mostly colder, starker and "racier" combos around.

Mine is Lapis Blue and grey monotone interior, and I find it quite uninteresting. I wish I had some CF in mine, or maybe the black/grey two-tone interior. Next time...
Next Time! Is there any Cayman owner who DOESN'T mutter that phrase once in awhile? I know I do. I absolutely love the Cayman I have but I didn't special order it (as I originally planned). After purchasing it I saw a Malachite Green Metallic car and it was gorgeous! I could certainly see that being my next car. With Sand Beige full leather, Cocoa contrasting stitching and carpets and maybe a touch of wood.

And then, after I get it, I'm sure I'll be saying "Next time..."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You're right, it does look Nautical. That's not exactly the look I was looking for, but it's growing on me. Thanks for everyone's opinions.

·
Registered
156 Posts
While these parts can be replaced, it's expensive to do that. Unless the rest of the spec for the car is exactly what you want, or is simply a bargain, I'd pass if you're on the fence about the wood.
I agree, make sure you are not just settling. It's honestly worth taking the time to find exactly what you want, or very close to it. Instead of spending money replacing interior pieces, I would rather spend the money on performance upgrades.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
The steering wheel would be in the area of $1,100 new. Can be had for maybe $500-600 used. The hand brake handle and shifter in black should be no problem to be picked up in the classifieds or on ebay. The wood strip on the dash probably would have to be purchased new.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
No thank you. IMO, wood does not belong in a sports car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wood trim can be nice, doesn't look bad in that photo at all.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the original 356's had wood steering wheels (?) so not sure I agree wood has no place in a sports car.

Anyway, if you like it, it has a place...:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
No thank you. IMO, wood does not belong in a sports car.
Of course, the classic British sports cars often had wood dash, shift knob, steering wheel, and some other trim. Fraknly, BRG with a tan interior and wood trim looks pretty good to me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts