Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if Porsche is using different plastic in the interior of the cayman or is it still the same plastic that delaminates when cleaned? Greg

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Welcome to the site Greg.

This question is the subject of a very long thread:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxs...ty-repair-interior-plastic-paint-peeling.html

Please do a search next time and check out the FAQ's. Lot's of info on here. :)

Bottom line, just use water and a microfiber cloth to clean any plastic pieces in the interior to avoid issues.
+1

I know this is a serious problem, but my '06 doesn't show any differently today than it did in the showroom near 4 years ago. With a little thought and care most of these problems will not occur.

Grease, oil, lotion, suntan oil, make-up and harsh cleaners all can be a problem here.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
It's my belief that cleaners can play a part, but the grease/oils are killers to the soft paint.

I use about 1/4 oz. of simple green in 20 oz of water, very mild but has never harmed a thing.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,765 Posts
I rarely clean the interior with anything but a dry MF cloth and mine is pealing off. I'm about to experiment with coloring the metal with a Sharpie to see if it will hide the exposed area.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,928 Posts
Not cleaning the plastic may be part of the cause. Oils, etc. seem to damage the finish more than cleaning and should be removed.

Griots interior cleaner works great and does not appear to damage the plastic.

I have many of the pieces in grey if anyone needs them. Some new and some in a pile at the shop as they were just removed from my no gutted car.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I usually use a damp MF towel to clean the interior. However, my ash tray is peeling off, no idea why :S

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yes, grease/oils will do it in a flash.

For over a decade now (since at least the first Boxsters) the quickest way to get the "soft touch" plastic pieces to peel is to touch them with skin coated in sunscreen.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Watch out for suntan lotion too! That stuff does really bad things to some plastics, especially the "soft touch" or buttons with print on them. I'm really careful at the track and autocrosses to wash my hands off after applying sunscreen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts