Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I have never seen, in person, a 281 Cayman of any stripe. I have an allocation for November delivery of a GTS. The dealer in 250 miles away. My local dealer has no Caymans-Period. I have configured the car on Porsche's website and it is white with black wheels. As for the interior, I selected the standard leather with Alcantera. I have a Boss Mustang with Recaro seats in Alcantera and like it. My problem is that I cannot make out little to nothing on the Website pictures of the interior on the website it being mostly black as in overexposed. I have looked on YouTube but most of those are "press cars" and have lots of options and lavish interiors.

I was wondering if any of you might have some experience with these interiors/items which one should avoid or delete as it does not appear that I will see one until I see mine! Any help, suggestions, directions would be helpful.

Thanks, in advance,

Curtis

·
Registered
648 Posts
If getting a GTS I would recommend the GTS interior option and the Premium package with the 18-way seats. The leather/alcantara combo looks great and the carbon fibre trim and stitching is a nice bonus.

Here are some pics of my GTS interior.

I opted for doing the steering wheel in black leather instead of alcantra (a $0 option when you get the GTS interior kit)

Reactions: monkeyboy

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not quite sure what you're seeking, but I ordered the alcantara delete version, so what I got in my Cayman GTS as standard is a full leather interior, leather steering wheel, and the alcantara roof and pillars. There are no GTS emblems anywhere in the interior. As you may guess, I'm not a fan of fake suade. The leather is of very nice quality, as expected. It's a personal issue of course, but the plastic in the trim on the standard car was a bit cheap looking, so I opted for an aluminum trim. I'm glad I did as it ended up looking and feeling very nice. It is also terribly overpriced, but in the larger scheme I thought it was worth it. I also ordered red seatbelts just for fun. Obviously it's my car so I like it and think it looks great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gentlemen,

I think I have perhaps unduly complicated this. Upon reflection, I think, some pics of the OEM interior might answer my questions. At least I would know if it is "okay" with me, or if I wish to change something. Sdpauly, I looked at the "GTS interior" but, as I recall it seemed awfully expensive to me.

Thanks gentlemen,

Curtis

·
Registered
562 Posts
I like carbon fiber and alcantara. If you price all the items you get with the GTS interior separately, the option price is reasonable. IMO the GTS interior package makes a special car even more so.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The main difference between the standard interior and the full leather is the dash and doors aren't covered on the standard interior and you don't get the silver strips in the doors. I've had a loaner base Boxster with the standard interior and it did feel more basic to me than my full leather interior. If your current car has a plastic dash then you may not be concerned about having one in your Porsche.

People do love their base leather interiors and that's fine, you have to make choices based on your personal preferences and budget.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sdpauly, I looked at the "GTS interior" but, as I recall it seemed awfully expensive to me.
It's a bit pricey but so is the whole car, if you're taking this kind of plunge anyway, you shouldn't have any regrets... You'll be spending most of your time inside the car looking at and touching the interior, so it may as well be a nice place to be. Also, since it's exclusive to the GTS it makes the car a bit more unique and special (IMHO) compared to an S. It also really completes the look of the car too, the leather is high quality, so is the carbon fibre (not sure if it's real CF or just plastic made to look the part, but it's very high quality). I had never had alcantera before, so I was a little unsure how I'd like it, but I'm really glad I got it this way.

Good luck!!

Reactions: swessels

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
There are no GTS emblems anywhere in the interior.
LIES!! Not sure they qualify as "Interior" but there are GTS emblems on the door sills and, if those don't count, there's most definitely one in the gauge cluster!! :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
The GTS comes standard with what is basically the "full leather" package that's optional on the base and S 981s. But half of the leather (middle of the seats, lower dash, door panels, steering wheel, etc) is alcantara rather than leather. Looks great.

IMO there's no need to spend nearly $4k on the drastically overpriced GTS interior package, which doesn't add any additional leather but adds CF trim (I actually prefer the standard aluminum trim as it brightens the cabin a little) and contrasting stitching (a nice touch but not worth $4k IMO). But it's your $$ so spend it on what you want.

I added the 18-way power seats which are also way overpriced (are you sensing a pattern here?) but more comfortable to me than the standard seats. They also add an auto function where the seat slides back and the steering wheel tilts upward when you open the door, which makes it easier for tall guys (like me) to get in and out of the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Panda Dragon,

Just the info I was looking for. I, like you, don't need "GTS" logo, floor mats and stitching to like the interior, at least not at Porsche's price. I was sort of worried that the dash was Alcantara and now I see it is the lower dash, with the upper being leather. Perfect.

Curtis

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks Panda Dragon,

Just the info I was looking for. I, like you, don't need "GTS" logo, floor mats and stitching to like the interior, at least not at Porsche's price. I was sort of worried that the dash was Alcantara and now I see it is the lower dash, with the upper being leather. Perfect.

Curtis
The standard interior has the "GTS" logo on the seat backs, but the stitching is the same color as the leather (black) so it has an embossed look. Looks great.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I added the 18-way power seats which are also way overpriced (are you sensing a pattern here?) but more comfortable to me than the standard seats. They also add an auto function where the seat slides back and the steering wheel tilts upward when you open the door, which makes it easier for tall guys (like me) to get in and out of the car.
Same here. And I really enjoy that comfort entry feature. Any time I get out and back into the car for any reason without removing the key, I realize again just how much I enjoy it. :)

Don't forget the option for backrests in leather. That's not just overpriced... it's practically pissing money away. But they're a nice touch when the silver plastic just doesn't fit with your other choices. :)

The standard interior has the "GTS" logo on the seat backs, but the stitching is the same color as the leather (black) so it has an embossed look. Looks great.
Yeah. You only lose it when you switch to leather from the Alcantara.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have the GTS interior and love it. I have spent hours in the dealership between oil changes/maintenance, ordering, and buying the car, so I have looked at a lot of their cars. To me, the GTS interior (looks very much like the gt3s interior) is the best looking interior option porsche has. Better than any 911 or other "higher" level vehicle they have and often looks more expenise. If I had to start deleting options off my car, the interior likely would be the last one that would go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts