Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Long time-lurker, but I finally joined recently...

From an introductory point of view, it occurs to me I should really introduce my car since it's more interesting in this context :)

2011 PDK Cayman S. Non-PASM car.

A week after I bought it, it went to Sharkwerks. So far it's had the following installed:

• V-Flow
  • EVOMSit flash
  • Tubi Exhaust
  • Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers
  • H&R Sway bars
  • Full RSS Tarmac series upgrades (toe/bump kits, LCA's, etc.)
  • GT3 Master Brake Cylinder Upgrade
This coming week, the following is being installed (which will lead to my question):
  • GT3 Rear Brake Ducting
  • Clear Markers
  • IPD Competition Plenum and GT3 Throttle Body
...which sets up my question. Upon unboxing, the IPD plenum has two very odd casting and/or machining pads that I've never seen on any other IPD plenum (let alone a 987.2 DFI Cayman version.)

Anyone else seen a triangular and circular 1/2 machined set of stub pads on theirs. I sent them an email alerting them/asking about such, but perhaps this is something new I'm unaware of.

In the next few weeks she'll also be the recipient of a set of HREP40S...then I'll put the TechArt side skirts and front lip on. The wing is still TBD.

I'm also going to work on a brake upgrade.

Nice to "meet" you and thanks for any feedback on the plenum you might have.
:thanks:

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
sounds like a serious car. :picsplz:

I haven't seen that style of plenum for our cars either, and will be curious what you find out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seinsmeld13 - right now it looks just like a stock Cayman S -- just lowered.

In terms of the camber question, I'm not yet ready to take her to the track or AX, so for the street, the stock adjustment range allowed sufficient negative camber for a conservative -0.40' F and -1.50' R (with the RSS kit installed.) I'll look into plates (any recommendations?) after the rest of the suspension is dialed in and the HRE's are on.

·
Registered
371 Posts
In terms of the camber question, I'm not yet ready to take her to the track or AX, so for the street, the stock adjustment range allowed sufficient negative camber for a conservative -0.40' F and -1.50' R (with the RSS kit installed.) I'll look into plates (any recommendations?) after the rest of the suspension is dialed in and the HRE's are on.
Gotta ask, why did you get rss lca if you were looking for such conservative camber numbers? Additionally, if you have rss lca, why look for camber plates? Just curious.

As for the original question, I have an IPD comp for my 2012 CR but does not have the machined triangular piece. Mine just has "made in the USA" on it, perhaps it's not made in the USA anymore?? Anyways, good luck with your build!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotta ask, why did you get rss lca if you were looking for such conservative camber numbers? Additionally, if you have rss lca, why look for camber plates? Just curious.

As for the original question, I have an IPD comp for my 2012 CR but does not have the machined triangular piece. Mine just has "made in the USA" on it, perhaps it's not made in the USA anymore?? Anyways, good luck with your build!
You misunderstand.

Those alignment numbers and settings are what I asked to be setup for the street until the rest of the suspension & wheel/tire combo are installed...which will be by the end of August. Then I will go AX'ing/DE.

Also, as I mentioned, I don't know what range I'll be able to achieve with the combo I have (without plates) and will explore when/if I need them once the package is sent for alignment. Specifically, I don't know what the limits for FRONT camber will be...

Hopefully that makes more sense.

With respect to the plenum, it seems they may have changed their mfg process. I am the lucky recipient of that news perhaps. It looks like ****. :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mystery related to the two extra machined pads on the plenum has been solved. Greg from IPD emailed me this morning:

"As far as the 2 machined bungs on the top of the Plenum are concerned, they are to accomadate an Air/Temp sensor and additional vent line for the 981 applications."

Now we know. I suggested adding a slip of paper in the shipping box to let folks know what they are to avoid any further surprises :)

:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A quick update on a couple of things:

1) The IPD Pro intake and 82mm GT3 Throttle Body were installed. The ECU is clearly still adjusting -- there are some interesting partial throttle transition hiccups that are getting less noticeable over time, but there's a discernible mid to top end linearity in terms of power delivery and the car revs faster. Butt dyno. Crisper throttle response also. Very much enjoying it.

2) There were some issues with the GT3 rear brake ducts and the RSS suspension parts -- basically the ducting (I'm probably butchering the symptoms) ended up with the ducting missing the brake assembly completely...meh. Will have to revisit later.

3) In the meantime, I also ordered a black Dream2 exhaust tip setup which will be installed when the HRE P40S wheels arrive.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Nice answer. I knew the car was lowered. My question to you is with a mild drop say 25 mm can I get I this car back to stock alignment? My S4 I needed to install adjustable arms, my wife's GTI with same drop I needed no additional parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a good question, Seinsmeld13 -- one I am not qualified to answer. My experience with P-Cars is limited, frankly. This is my first and the older I've become, the less questions I seem to ask :)

I'll ask for you...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I picked up the car from Sharkwerks.

They installed the new satin black HRE P40S with new Michelin Pilot Super Sports, performed an aggressive alignment (specs coming) and the Dream2 exhaust was added to my Tubi after the IPD competition plenum and 82mm TB additions from a couple of weeks ago.

Car handles fantastically. The RSS Ground Control L2 additions have made the turn in extremely crisp. This thing handles like a Tron lightcycle now :)

We added the 7mm spacers on the rear to make use of black lug nuts; it fills out the wheel wells perfectly...perhaps a little TOO perfectly as on a particularly bumpy freeway section it rubbed...have to play around with the coil overs a bit.

I've left the center caps off for the moment; I like the exposed center nut look...and didn't care for the HRE caps. I may find some "stock" Porsche Black units.

The Dream 2 tips made a noticeable difference in the butt dyno. Free-er revving and it breathes easier on the top end. There is a noticeable increase in 2-3k freeway drone, however, whilst at idle it's quieter.

I'm going to put the stock engine cover back on (I have the clear cover on it now) to cut down on some of the noise.

Next up, the 15" Brembo big brake kit...because these black wheels make the stock brakes look tiny :)

/Hoff:dance:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A terrible picture of my dirty car, poorly framed...

...but I knew y'all were going to brow beat me into uploading one. :hilarious:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello, I suggest any drone between 2-3,000K is due to the tubi exhaust and not the DREAM2. The DREAMs tend to soften and mellow the exhaust note not create drone. The drone could be worse without the DREAM2 installed.
Jim/Carmona Red
B C Velocity Exhaust

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello, I suggest any drone between 2-3,000K is due to the tubi exhaust and not the DREAM2. The DREAMs tend to soften and mellow the exhaust note not create drone. The drone could be worse without the DREAM2 installed.
Jim/Carmona Red
B C Velocity Exhaust
Hi Jim. I've had the Tubi on the car for the last year. The addition was the Dream 2 tips. There is a pronounced increase in resonant drone between 2K-3K that everyone agrees is MUCH louder than it was when the stock T was on.

If you've not heard/tested the unit on a Tubi (versus stock) it may very well not be what you're used to, but I can assure you that it's pronounced. I should have recorded the in-cabin sample with my audio spectrum analyzer and then done the same with the Dream2 installed...my bad.

That said, I am not particularly concerned with this as the benefits outweigh any annoyance.

As you note, the exhaust note (at idle, at least) is more "mellow"

Thanks again,

/Hoff

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello Hoff,
Thank you for your comments. You are correct we have not tested the DREAM2 with a Tubi. This is the first instance of a drone we've received. Bottom line is if you are alright with it that is what counts. Gald you were able to have it quickly installed.
Let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.
Enjoy your weekend. Best regards,
Jim, B C Velocity Exhaust

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Hoff,
Thank you for your comments. You are correct we have not tested the DREAM2 with a Tubi. This is the first instance of a drone we've received. Bottom line is if you are alright with it that is what counts. Gald you were able to have it quickly installed.
Let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.
Enjoy your weekend. Best regards,
Jim, B C Velocity Exhaust
Jim:

I wanted to eliminate another variable (besides the Tubi) that you perhaps have not encountered with respect to the sound of the Dream2.

One other modification that was already done to my car besides the Tubi was one of the transparent engine covers. This had definitely made the cabin more noisy, but it's been on there for a year and I havent had a benchmark of sound levels other than that.

So after I posted the note above, and detected your concern with the drone comment, I replaced the transparent cover with the stock heat shield and cover.

You'll be happy to know that besides the general (large) reduction in cabin noise, the drone/resonance is all but gone...and per your original point it did mellow the car out at idle and in 6th/7th on the freeway...

THEN, if I get on it, the engine revs free-er and it screams at WOT.

Thanks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello Hoff,
Thank you for going to the trouble of installing the stock engine cover to test the sound of the DREAM2. I'm happy that you are happy and are pleased with the sound of the DREAM2. The DREAM2 is a simple device but with it's internal exhaust diverter, to further reduce the exhaust turbulance, and then merging the flows in the same direction it mellows the sound and provides a slight improvement in performance.
Thank you for your comments.
Jim/Carmona Red B C Velocity Exhaust

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts

Beaker:

You shouldn't need camber plates if you get RSS lower control arms.

I've got GT3 LCAs with Damptronics. My front end is set at -3.0 with no plates. Just add shims!

-3.0 is actually too much negative camber for most uses. -2.5 is about right for the front and -2.3 for the back. That will be the settings I use next. I'm using Champion 18" forged wheels with stock tire sized Michelin PSS. 19"s might require a bit less camber than 18"s.

1/32" total toe-out for the front and 1 to 3/32 total toe-in for the rear will work great. I've got 1/32" toe-in on the back and I'm going to increase it a bit.

When you lower or change suspension, make sure to get the toe set. Too much toe combined with extra camber will destroy inside corners of the tires quickly as you drive in a straight line, even if the car feels very good to drive.

:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Sixisenuff...

I discussed with Sharkwerks and their sentiment aligns with your assessment, with the RSS Tarmac Level 2 suspension (+Bilstein Coilovers) I won't get much, if anything, out of plates.

I have them setting up the car for "aggressive street" and the odd auto-X/DE. As is currently configured it handles very well. I am awaiting the spec sheets from the alignment.

/Hoff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts