Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to a new computer with a Firefox browser, I can finally post on caymanclub. That's the warning. I could render lavish praise on what Ken and other contributors have built here, but let me just express my appreciation for making this site the first place I visit each morning. First, I'll try to do no harm (Hope I don't screw up my first post attempt).

My first Porsche was an '84 944, followed by an '88 911, and a '93 RS America. When I read the earliest test reports on the Cayman, I knew it was the next Porsche for me. I placed deposits to get in line to order at 3 different dealers. I was first in line and first to order at my brand new local dealer, Porsche of Roanoke (VA). After the longest 3 years of my life, I finally took delivery before the official launch day in January. This one's silver (after 3 white Porsches), and is the most enjoyable car I've even driven. My friend, Maury Hamill (914geezer here, or is it geezer914?), bought his Cayman the next day. We both track and autocross, and both had the pleasure of instructing students with Caymans at VIR in May (7 Caymans participated that weekend).

Jim Michaels

Blacksburg, VA

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Jim,

I think the clouds just parted and I heard thunder from on high, that must have been the new computer / browser. WELCOME TO THE SITE! I am looking forward to your contributions here, particularly those on instructing students in the Cayman S, something I'll be doing here shortly. Are you coming to Croctoberfest? Would love to meet in person after all this time.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Welcome,

If you're ever in Alabama I could use some instruction. :)

Shane

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Hi Jim

Great to see you here. I look forward to yourcontributions, as I have on RL. /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your gracious welcome. I think it took Ken all of 4 minutes to post his welcome.

The comment about instructing Cayman students may have been somewhat misleading; Maury and I had only one Cayman student each; the other Cayman drivers ran solo. I would like to report on my student, however, as I like to take every opportunity to do so. It was his first sports car ever, and his first time on track ever. I had to check his lug bolt torque (a little loose) and his tire pressures (a little high) because he didn't have the equipment, or know where they should be set. His car was completely stock, including tires and brake pads/fluid. His CS didn't even have PASM (it works very well that way too, I learned). In spite of being handicapped by having me as his instructor, he was soon the fastest in the run group, which included Corvettes and 911 turbos. After I signed him off on Sunday, I timed him at 2:25-2:26 when he had clean air. I know some of you (FT) know just how quick that is at VIR for a first timer. It was the excellent student and excellent car combination; so easy for a novice to drive fast safely. Maury reported that his student (a female) was excellent too.

After seeing the photo of Ken hangin' with Vic, Maury urged me to tell my Vic Elford story. I met Vic at Parade last year just after he arrived. He said that he'd just spent the longest 8 hours of his life during his flight and connections; no smokes and no liquor. And no car to drive, I added. He spoke to the masses at dinner that night, and I was mistaken for Vic 5 times afterwards (some people don't read name tags); 6 times if you count the woman who took photos of me while hiding behind a column. My guess is that he was mistaken for Jim Michaels even once. He's a dear man, and a feature attraction at any Parade.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Jim...is there a better time to go to VIR? I have been wanting to get up there for a while, but just havent taken the time. It would be great to have an instructor who also drives a cayman..

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have to say woww, for a first timer to hit the mid 2:20s at full course VIR is really great IMO. I never timed my self on that course yet, but based on Grand East config times, I should shoot for 2:35-2:40, which is way off those 20s and I have 6 full days at VIR as a student.

Will you be instructing in Sept Jim? If so, may be we can make arrangements to have you as my instructor? /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/wink_smile.gif

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Red Rocket: I think Potomac Region PCA has openings for their September 8-10 DE at VIR. You can register at their website. Maury Hamill and I will be going to that one; he will be instructing, but I won't be (unless they run short of instructors). You could request Maury as an instructor. Potomac instructors are very good; luck of the draw would likely get you a better instructor than I, but I know from experience that Maury would be a good choice; he was my instructor about 20 years ago.

April through November is a good time to do VIR. Most VIR DEs are 3-day affairs now, and run about $300. Zone 2 has one every year around the beginning of April. First Settlers Region PCA has one in mid-May, and Potomac has one in September. First Settlers will have another September 23-25, but the first two days will be on the little South course; third day on the full course.

I guess you've been to Kershaw (Carolina Motorsports Park)? Maury and I went there in July a few years ago and the high was 106 (116 heat index), and we each had two students. There are plans for a new track (High Rock International Raceway) very near Salisbury NC. The last I heard, it should open in 2007.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Jim,

Welcome to the Club. I read all your posts on RL and was wondering when you'll show up here. Today's the day.

Interesting about your comment re the Mozilla Firefox browser. If I use that browser at home, CaymanClub keeps crashing on me. It never crashes when I use Internet Explorer. So at home I have 2 browsers open: Mozilla for everything else, and IE exclusively for CaymanClub.

Enjoy your stay.

CP

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
not to get off topic...but CP you may want to try the beta 3 version of IE...it works great and is almost as friendly as Firefox (lots of similarities)..which for me btw, never crashes here either...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CP: Explorer worked fine for me, except I could not post on cc with it. I could even vote in cc polls, but a post frame would not come up for me to type in for a post. I had an iMac G3; now have a G4 with both Firefox and Explorer. Your post led me to try Explorer on my new G4. Still can't post using Explorer. Maybe the Beta 3 version that RedRocket mentioned will do the trick.

All: Thanks again for your warm welcome here. It's made me feel like a full fledged member of the band of Caymanites. You have a lot to be proud of here. I've never seen such a congenial and supportive car guy website.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Let me also add my welcome. I've also enjoyed reading your postings on RL as well, and I look forward to having your expertise here.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
And Jim don't for get our female members. It isn't just a car 'guy' site. Welcome and we look forward to more of your posts.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ken: I haven't considered Croctoberfest before due to the driving distance, but if Maury is game, I'll reconsider. I'd miss a Virginia Tech home football game, but I've been known to forgo football games for car events.

Santa Fe: Car guys are car guys regardless of gender. One of the commercial driving schools on the right coast is named 'Car Guys', and they aren't all males. In fact, we wouldn't dare use the term 'car gals' around here without ducking. I think I once told you that my wife and I lived in Albuquerque in 1972-3 while I was on a visiting appointment at UNM. I think you said that the Shed was still operating in Santa Fe. We still miss good NM style Mexican food very much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts