Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a long time coming for me...after the bazillion write-ups of folks just doing the plenum without the throttle body and seeing almost no gains, I decided to go all the way. I am no means a mechanic by trade, but have done plenty of simple mods over the years myself and this car is no exception. Awe exhaust? Pretty easy. Tarrett sway bars and drop links? Really easy. So after reading that most people were able to do the plenum in a few hours, I decided to give it a shot. However, to this point I couldn't find ONE person who had done the comp plenum and GT3 TB on a 2.9 car, so I was a little worried ( even though IPD ensured figment). Here's what I discovered:
THE GOOD
*IPD makes some nice sh*t. Some of the best machined aftermarket stuff I've seen.
*Directions were spot on, with the exception of a reminder of the best step to reinstall the shifter cable between steps 32 and 33
*the car idles and runs perfectly, going to do my "calibration" drive this afternoon :) I added a fresh filter while I was in there and it immediately feels more lively.
THE BAD
*the stock design of the plenum and rubber boots (not to mention those horrible moon clamps) are pretty crappy. A thicker boot with one internal ridge and a pair of thinner clamps on each side would make more sense. It was almost impossible to get these to reseat with the new plenum. I got it to 100% on one side and REALLY close on the other side. This was the most unfunny part.
*dont even attempt to do the job without disconnecting the shifter cable on the passenger side. That stupid cable that loves to snap on us poses two more problems on this job...if it sits too high on the plenum you won't be able to close the engine cover. Worse yet, because the new bigger TB is in fact a lot larger, it sits right on top of where the cable runs to the tranny and leaves virtually no slack. Don't bother to run the cable the shorter way...leaves too much slack and the car won't get into gears.
*the boot between the TB and the stock tube to the air box had to be trimmed about a 1/4 inch to line everything up.
*maneuvering the IPD pipe (now steel vs plastic) and the bigger TB in and out of the car is pretty much impossible without unbolting the new plenum every time...which blows. I ended up cutting a 1/3 inch off a 6 inch section of where the engine cover mounts up, and made a WORLD of difference getting the pipe and TB in and out
*i cracked a breather hose in the process of maneuvering ( plastic is very thin) hence the triage tape until I order a replacement. You have to route this under the IPD pipe not over, otherwise you'll have engine cover clearance.

This is was an 8 hour job :crazy: and $1300 of 10 hp maybe that's nuts, but there aren't many things we can do on these cars (software is the finale). I didn't write this to rip IPD either, i would just forewarn any other 2.9 owners that this is NOT easy. Chime in if you've done this mod too...

Reactions: PHLonomenal

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
What is the 'calibration' drive? Something you're supposed to do or a butt dyno run?

I did this combo on my CSS earlier this yr. Not sure I feel much difference in performance other than it being smoother from 2-4K rpm.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently the first 50 miles of driving post install, the dme adjusts for the new TB and amount of air being sucked in...or so I've been told. didnt really care if it was true or not, just an excuse to leave the house for an hour and drive the hell out of the car. After just doing that, I can tell you 100% that there is a noticeable difference in power throughout the power and. I too would say to most folks that the 'placebo affect' or butt dyno is bogus, however I drive the car every day and at least a few pulls to redline. Throttle response feels better all around. Huge gains? Probably not the advertised 25 ponies, but a definite improvement for sure.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the write up Rittmeister.

Good info and something I'm thinking of for my '09.

Is that a verified 10HP gain?

Eddie
Hi eddie- I give it a thumbs up, especially with the gains from an exhaust and the flash at the very end. I'd like to see if anyone else with a 2.9 has done this and figured out an easier way to install....

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Apparently the first 50 miles of driving post install, the dme adjusts for the new TB and amount of air being sucked in...or so I've been told. didnt really care if it was true or not, just an excuse to leave the house for an hour and drive the hell out of the car. After just doing that, I can tell you 100% that there is a noticeable difference in power throughout the power and. I too would say to most folks that the 'placebo affect' or butt dyno is bogus, however I drive the car every day and at least a few pulls to redline. Throttle response feels better all around. Huge gains? Probably not the advertised 25 ponies, but a definite improvement for sure.
It would be interesting to know what a real dyno says the HP is at now... thanks fro sharing the details of you install. Maybe I will do the IPD/TB and ECU tune on my 981 3.4l some day.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be interesting to know what a real dyno says the HP is at now... thanks fro sharing the details of you install. Maybe I will do the IPD/TB and ECU tune on my 981 3.4l some day.
I waited until my CPO was done. I'll be doing the evomsit flash next month and will post the dyno results. Porsches so finicky with warranties I decided to be patient...in the meantime you've got a great 4 years ahead of you on the new 981 :) hopefully someone will be able to crack the code on those things by then and make some extra power.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Rittmaster - Congrats on the mod and write up. In my youth I would have tackled that project on the 3.4 but not at 62 without a lift I will limit myself to the easier stuff. Curious to see what a real dyno might read on your 2.9. If you are feeling gains across the range, it may be more than 10hp.
Well done ....

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I waited until my CPO was done. I'll be doing the evomsit flash next month and will post the dyno results. Porsches so finicky with warranties I decided to be patient...in the meantime you've got a great 4 years ahead of you on the new 981 :) hopefully someone will be able to crack the code on those things by then and make some extra power.
You are of course right, must be patient regarding the whole warranty thing! :(

As for the 981 and the ECU, check out this thread, it maybe be closer then expected! http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/110184-tpc-turbo-kits-981-model-line-now-available.html

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the accolades guys, it was about 7.5 hours leaning into the engine bay and only a little time fiddling with the shifter cable underneath.
Quick update, I noticed a rough idle yesterday morning and opened it back up again...2 repairs on the overly complicated and thin breather hose didn't hold up, so a quick trip to a nearby OReillys in the wifes cayenne and $8 later...I fabbed up something a lot more durable & flexible pictured to the right in about 10min...problem solved.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is a timely thread - I too installed the plenum and gt3 throttle body on my 2005 987.1 Boxster S.

The delivery from the US to me in the UK did not come with instructions - luckily my friend who did all the work - is a master at this stuff but with no experience of doing this before.
I did end up getting online and looking up the install instructions but we had done most of the figuring out by then...
This was a very hard job - and had much cursing from him.
The fitting was very tight and required many things that we didnt want to remove to be removed just to get the plenum on - let alone trying to get the throttle body fitted - which now moves away from the plenum to end of the tubing by the maf sensor.

It was bloody hard - he was really annoyed with the install - as it was so so tight.
No fault of our own - trial and error but the oil breather hard tubing that go across the engine there - did break - so had to make a patch repair to that with duct tape !
Also the oil breather sensor that connects to the right hand side of the plenum - not the one that is capped - was too long - and so this hard tubing also had to be cut and then refitted which was also tricky as the connector is custom one - so we had to heatgun up the cut piece of tubing enough to get the connector cap on properly.

Perhaps I shouldnt surmise that we were given the wrong size tubing between plenum and throttle body - it was very tight fit because of it.
But this was all noted on my order that it was going into a boxster etc.

Anyways - after about 2-3 hours it was all in and no faults etc which was a bonus
Of course I wasnt aware of breaking in period as didnt have the instructions...

However I too noticed a difference in acceleration - its was enough to think wow - that feels a lot faster - even if it wasnt

Since driving then ive not noticed a night and day upgrade but I have not remapped the car - yet - I dont have something to chase yet - unless I team up with mechanic friends 997 S to chase.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MoOriginal: thanks for chiming in. It is indeed a bigger challenge than made out to be because of how little space you have to work with. I didn't receive directions either, but IPD publishes each car install on their website in PDFs and that's what I used. Sounds like that flimsy plastic breather tube gave you the same trouble...advice to anyone attacking this, is to just plan on repairing or replacing it. The angle of attachment on my car had to be inverted because you have to run the tube underneath the new pipe, so a new OEM tube wouldn't have helped anyways.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Version I made on the right using connectors from oem pipe...note that the oem version is also around $80 and dealers don't have them lying around..i checked :)

Attachments

Reactions: MoOriginal

·
Registered
63 Posts
MoOriginal: thanks for chiming in. It is indeed a bigger challenge than made out to be because of how little space you have to work with. I didn't receive directions either, but IPD publishes each car install on their website in PDFs and that's what I used. Sounds like that flimsy plastic breather tube gave you the same trouble...advice to anyone attacking this, is to just plan on repairing or replacing it. The angle of attachment on my car had to be inverted because you have to run the tube underneath the new pipe, so a new OEM tube wouldn't have helped anyways.
Well done - we managed to get the pipe over the top and still had no issues with the cover going on ...

In the instructions it mentions to bend the small metal tab that comes out into the bay ... which ends up sitting or pressing against the tubing...
we didnt do this... did you?

It was a very tight fit pressed up against that tab actually..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts