Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a IPD Plenum on their 981 Boxster? if yes do you Recommend It. i had it on my 06 Cayman s, need your opinion if i should install on my 981 Boxster S. its on sale for $1098.86, i have a Fabspeed supercup Exhaust installed, [h=1][/h]

·
Registered
706 Posts
For me, I saw very little power gain on the dyno and without a tune, or a throttle body readaptation, you may get a CEL - it's a hit and miss with that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Has anyone installed a IPD Plenum on their 981 Boxster? if yes do you Recommend It. i had it on my 06 Cayman s, need your opinion if i should install on my 981 Boxster S. its on sale for $1098.86, i have a Fabspeed supercup Exhaust installed,
I, like you were asking this same question awhile back, as I planned to have this combo installed on my CS when the headers were being installed. After a lot of research the conclusion was that the gains if any at all are minimal at best, and many dyno runs showed that it actually lost HP rather than gained it! Add that to the fact there would likely be CEL issues to deal with which will require you spend another $1,100 for a an ECU tune to remove if you dont already have a Cobb device or similar.

I decided against it, as it just doesnt seem to be worth the cost and effort despite already owning the Cobb device and tune. Of course those who have already spent the cash my disagree because nobody wants to admit they spent all that money for nothing, and placebo effect runs rampant with these types of discussions.

With that being said, there was at least one member who was able to achieve some gains with it (10 or so HP peak if I recall), but only after having a custom Cobb dyno tune done to tweak the values. The off the shelf Cobb tune with the plenum and TB change actually lost HP on his car until the custom tune was done, so that is a lot of work and cost for that small amount of HP gain. My conclusion was that the 981 is already breathing quite well on the intake side as it is, so there just isnt much to be gained there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone installed a IPD Plenum on their 981 Boxster? if yes do you Recommend It. i had it on my 06 Cayman s, need your opinion if i should install on my 981 Boxster S. its on sale for $1098.86, i have a Fabspeed supercup Exhaust installed, [h=1][/h]
I had one installed on my 2013 Boxster S manual. It seems to have better torgue at the lower end. I did not have a chance to dyno it before the install but afterwards at the track I had it done and produced 289HP at the wheels which rule of thumb says is 15% less. It would therefore be 340 HP engine vs what Porsche publishes a stock engine to be 315HP. Performance still peaks out at 6500 as in stock. Its all a question of money if you think it is worth it. Afterwards, I also bought an Armytrix sports exhaust for over $3,000. It know not only sounds like a race car and seems even to be a bigger jump in performance from my first impression. For the extra money if you have that much I would get that option first.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thank You all for the reply, How about heathers.
Headers and tune are 100% worth it. Big gains with that combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I second the headers + tune. I think the throttle body and plenum are not really required. Perhaps there will be a bit more room for the car to breathe if you get race headers and a very good custom tune along with the plenum and throttle body but i have yet to see anything that confirms it. Fabspeed does sell a GT420 and GT450 package and they do include the plenum/tb in that. And they swear by it and their cars indeed produce some staggering numbers. But then I read other places and people are making that much power with just header and tune! I am confused!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Fabspeed does sell a GT420 and GT450 package and they do include the plenum/tb in that. And they swear by it and their cars indeed produce some staggering numbers. But then I read other places and people are making that much power with just header and tune! I am confused!
Worth pointing out that those are 3.8L engines - they obviously are somewhat more restricted with a 74mm throttle than the 3.4L. Still they can make very good power without increasing the TB size, another argument to support that the smaller 3.4L doesn't *need* a bigger throttle.

I've always been skeptical of IPD plenums because they insisted on trying to sell them for cars that really did not need them (Turbos) and putting dyno numbers on their site that nobody has ever managed to come close to replicating. I'm inclined to believe that OEM Porsche plenums are better, and the stock plastic is better suited than metal, but if you want to fit a bigger throttle you kind of have to move to IPD. For the 3.8s it does make some sense for that very reason.

But keep in mind that even the 500 HP 4.0 RS engine is still on a 82mm throttle body. Porsche isn't trying to keep those engines back, but feel that 82mm is plenty at those power levels. Thus 74mm should be more than enough for 350-360 on the smaller engines. Intake air speed velocities with 74mm are well below what the GT3s have and only slightly above 3.8S levels. I've seen data logs of the 3.4 with and without an IPD plenum and the car with did sustain a higher pressure (closer to atm) than the stock car, but that's only half the story as intake velocity would be lower and it's impossible to say just how much (if any) increase you get in actual volumetric efficiency.

·
Conscience not included
578 Posts
Since you have a Boxster, I would absolutely get a Cobb Accessport V3 FIRST before doing this.

You have power on the table that Porsche 'tuned' out from the Cayman S. That's guaranteed. Plus, it will allow you to get more power from your muffler.

Lastly, it will help smooth out power delivery and that nasty torque dip from 3000-4000 RPM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I, like you were asking this same question awhile back, as I planned to have this combo installed on my CS when the headers were being installed. After a lot of research the conclusion was that the gains if any at all are minimal at best, and many dyno runs showed that it actually lost HP rather than gained it! Add that to the fact there would likely be CEL issues to deal with which will require you spend another $1,100 for a an ECU tune to remove if you dont already have a Cobb device or similar.

I decided against it, as it just doesnt seem to be worth the cost and effort despite already owning the Cobb device and tune. Of course those who have already spent the cash my disagree because nobody wants to admit they spent all that money for nothing, and placebo effect runs rampant with these types of discussions.

With that being said, there was at least one member who was able to achieve some gains with it (10 or so HP peak if I recall), but only after having a custom Cobb dyno tune done to tweak the values. The off the shelf Cobb tune with the plenum and TB change actually lost HP on his car until the custom tune was done, so that is a lot of work and cost for that small amount of HP gain. My conclusion was that the 981 is already breathing quite well on the intake side as it is, so there just isnt much to be gained there.
I'm just curious if you can share any of these dynos? I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I just have "heard" these things about IPD before and never have seen any reliable data from the claims.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'm just curious if you can share any of these dynos? I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I just have "heard" these things about IPD before and never have seen any reliable data from the claims.
I would have to do some digging, as they were posted by others. They have appeared in several different thread topics, and I think I recall the last time was in one of the Cobb threads as the particular member had to get a custom Cobb tune to get the lost power back.

EDIT: Found one of them

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/126026-cobb-tuning-clarification-updates-7.html#post1368657

There is only a 10HP and torque "peak" gain in this example, and this only after having a custom dyno tune done by Cobb. The gains down in the more normal driving RPM ranges are even less. The big eye opener is that the OP actually lost 10HP after adding the IPD and had to get a custom tune to get it back. Most driving around with this mod are not having customs tunes done and likely have no idea that the "upgrade" could possibly be a detriment to performance instead.

10 HP or less after a custom tune simply isnt enough power to be worth the cost and trouble for me, but others may want to squeeze all they can possibly get out. A change in the seasons and cooler ambient temps outside can have a greater than 10HP effect

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I would have to do some digging, as they were posted by others. They have appeared in several different thread topics, and I think I recall the last time was in one of the Cobb threads as the particular member had to get a custom Cobb tune to get the lost power back.

EDIT: Found one of them

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/126026-cobb-tuning-clarification-updates-7.html#post1368657

There is only a 10HP and torque "peak" gain in this example, and this only after having a custom dyno tune done by Cobb. The gains down in the more normal driving RPM ranges are even less. The big eye opener is that you lose power or at the very best have exactly the same as you already had depending on where on the RPM band you are when using the off the shelf tunes that are available.

10 HP or less simply isnt enough power to be worth the cost of the upgrade parts, installation and custom tune for me, but others may want to squeeze all they can possibly get out. A change in the seasons and cooler ambient temps outside can have a greater than 10HP effect
WOW!, a lot of work and money for +10HP... not to mention voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
WOW!, a lot of work and money for +10HP... not to mention voiding the warranty.
Yes, and its only about 5-6HP gain all the way up through the RPM range until about 5500 RPM. That small gain wouldn't even be perceptible in normal or even spirited driving for the most part, which at least for me isnt up in those RPM values very much. A track car that spends most of its time up near redline may be different though. The increase in torque seems to be more consistent through the entire RPM range though, but still not enough to be worth the hassle and cost IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but I’ve owned a (981) 2014 MT CS with PSE for the past 3 yrs and trying to research whether any mods are actually worth it. Sounds like header and tune only? Local shop recommended the TB but from the stories that seems like a waste if I give up the low end torque that I live in on a daily basis. Anyone have real world experience for a MT CS? I’ve heard tunes do less for MT?
Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a Softronic tune, Soul catless race headers and Brombacher Sound muffler.

I have not dynoed the car, but I do have enough “before and after" comparative DE times at tracks like Road America and BIR to have a more objective assessment of where the mods have taken it.

In short, the change is remarkable and well worth the cost. Upon advice from Softronic (who could have sold me a pricey plenum upgrade) I have not touched the intake except for upgraded air intake filters. The car is still streetable with some restraint. Highly recommended.

574 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but I’ve owned a (981) 2014 MT CS with PSE for the past 3 yrs and trying to research whether any mods are actually worth it. Sounds like header and tune only? Local shop recommended the TB but from the stories that seems like a waste if I give up the low end torque that I live in on a daily basis. Anyone have real world experience for a MT CS? I’ve heard tunes do less for MT?
Thanks,
Jeremy
Jeremy, I invite you to give us a call to chat about all of your options and to set / meet your goals for sound, drivability, and performance.

-Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts