Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a new 3GS iphone and use it with their PCM 3.0 Cayman? due to the size of the centre box im looking at buying a 3GS and want it to act as a phone (through the bluetooth) and an Ipod (through the PCM) at the same time. Is this possible? Also, does the cable charge the new Iphones? I ask because I have a Jag XF that doesnt charge the latest Iphones and Ipods through its ipod integration and is problematic when using both phone and ipod from same device.

Advice appreciated guys.

:cheers:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Porche do a kit for the PCM3. Try your local dealer.
They have just up dated the cable so it works with all Ipods, and I phones, Dont think an Iphone will work on the bluetooth with the PCM3. But I could be wrong.

Universal Audio Interface

To help make journeys in your Porsche as stress-free and entertaining as possible, Porsche has developed an audio interface which fits into the storage compartment of the centre console.

The optional feature includes an iPod® connection, a USB stick / MP3 player connection and an auxiliary socket for any compatible audio source. Whilst on the road your in-car entertainment can be safely controlled through the PCM, the multifunction steering wheel or the voice control system.

As an added benefit, if your Porsche is fitted with the Sports Chrono Package plus, you will be able to download data from the performance display and the electronic logbook with the USB stick.

Stright of the porsche advert, I have the photo to go with it if you send me your email address.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i will spec the audio interface but the similar device on the Jaguar XF (in itself only a year old) will not charge the latest iphones and ipods as they changed the charging system in September 08. Was wondering if the Porsche one would.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer has now come back to me.

The audio interface will play the ipod while connected to bluetooth BUT it wont charge the new iphones and ipods as you need the passthrough adaptor available from Apple as its designed to charge the old ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The dealer has now come back to me.

The audio interface will play the ipod while connected to bluetooth BUT it wont charge the new iphones and ipods as you need the passthrough adaptor available from Apple as its designed to charge the old ones.
I ordered the Universal Audio Interface on my new CS (with PCM it was $450!) and don't care much for it. It did charge my 3G but picking songs and switching to a different artist was a pain. You can't scroll on the iphone because there is a message saying it is connected to --- (can't remember the exact words).

So I ordered a monster auxiliary cable from newegg.com and got a Belkin cig charger from target. The total for both was less than $40 and now I can charge and scroll from my iphone. I have a PDK so might not be the best solution for someone with a manual...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldnt expect to be able to scroll on the iphone while its connected as its a safety feature (you cant scroll on my XF either) but the XF replicates the ipod menus on the nav screen. Can the Porsche not do that? I would have thought that was pretty basic to display on the screen then use say the right rotor button on the PCM to scroll (or multifunction wheel if you have that)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldnt expect to be able to scroll on the iphone while its connected as its a safety feature (you cant scroll on my XF either) but the XF replicates the ipod menus on the nav screen. Can the Porsche not do that? I would have thought that was pretty basic to display on the screen then use say the right rotor button on the PCM to scroll (or multifunction wheel if you have that)
Yes the rotor button works ok. I can't compare it to the XF's. I didn't expect to be able to scroll but the interface wasn't that great to use (maybe I was expecting more). In my opinion, I feel much safer to scroll pretty quickly on my own instead of spending much more time focusing on the screen and making multiple taps to find the song I like. Not an issue on a clear straight away but a bit different at high speeds and in traffic.

Just my take. Others may like the interface and think I am :crazy:

It sounds like the bluetooth works for you so you just need a $20 cig charger and you are good to go!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ordered the audio interface on my car. At that point I had the 3G. When I collected the car the cable had an extra usb lead attached. You plug in the iPhone to the normal socket (in the arm rest) and plug in the usb part to the usb socket next to it. Phone charges, connects to bluetooth and you can use the touch screen, buttons , voice, or steering wheel buttons to control.
I have since upgraded and the 3Gs works in the same way.
You can set it up to show playlists or artists or albums on the PCM 3.

here is a similar item

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=IPHONECABLE&Category_Code=9972electronic

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Just a question, how does the PCM display the iPhone menu?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have taken some quick pictures (not that good )but they give the idea.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Not bad, thanks for posting ;)

Does it scroll like the iPhone / iPod touch or do u have to use the scroll bars?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can use the scroll bar or the control wheel on the mulifunction steering wheel You press the control wheel to enter. Not tried scrolling by touching the screen. Will check if that works and get back to you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi I tried scrolling on the touch screen but it does not allow that you need to use the scroll bar, the control button or the multifunction wheel;s scroll wheel.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to try that out and report, I appreciate it :thanks:

·
Registered
57 Posts
No problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Iphone 3GS compatibility with Alpine releases DPR-RDS1 Factory Radio Interface fo

got it installed it and it crushes everything else all for under $100.
now we have iphone that is not using RCA cables, that displays on the dash the song and it sound great. got mine from Amazon.com but Crutchfield and others carry it too. August 3, 2009 12:05 PM PDT
Alpine releases DPR-RDS1 Factory Radio Interface for iPod, iPhone
by Antuan Goodwin Font sizePrintE-mailSharePost a comment .
(Credit: Alpine USA)
Alpine has just released its DPR-RDS1, which allows users to add iPod and iPhone playback to any car stereo with an FM stereo.

At its core, the DPR-RDS1 is essentially an FM modulator hide-away box, which converts a line input into an FM signal. The box is hardwired to the stereo's antenna input to reduce interference from competing FM broadcast signals. FM modulators aren't exactly new tech; my first CD changer was installed using an FM modulator back in the early '90s. However, the DPR-RDS1 differs from your general purpose FM modulator in a few critical ways.

Firstly, it's made for iPod/iPhone; which means that it features a 30-pin dock connector, instead of generic RCA inputs. The dock connector supports 12-volt and 5-volt power, so the DPR-RDS1 will also charge your iPod/iPhone while in use.

The dock connection cable also pulls the currently playing song's metadata and converts it to an Radio Data System (RDS) signal. FM radios that support RDS for displaying text can show the song, artist, and album title on their car stereo's display. OEM car stereo manufacturers haven't exactly been consistent about implementing RDS support into their units--and even less consistent about documenting it when they do--so, double check that your radio supports the protocol before making a purchase.

Because the DPR-RDS1 relies on FM modulation to relay audio data to your car's stereo, you can expect sound quality to be about as good as a strong radio station, which is noticeably lower in quality than CD audio, but still better and more reliable than wireless FM transmitters. Also, FM modulation is a one-way interface and there is no way to control the media player from the headunit, so you'll have to make your song selections from the iPod itself. Try not to spend too much time staring down at your iPod's screen in a moving vehicle.

The DPR-RDS1 Factory Radio Interface for iPod and iPhone is listed at an MSRP of $100 in Alpine's press release and $120 on Alpine's website, so expect to pay something in that range.

Check out the video of the DPR-RDS1 in action after the jump.

CNET REVIEW

Alpine releases DPR-RDS1 Factory Radio Interface for iPod, iPhone | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

·
Aqua Blue Metallic Mafia OG
569 Posts
I ordered the audio interface on my car. At that point I had the 3G. When I collected the car the cable had an extra usb lead attached. You plug in the iPhone to the normal socket (in the arm rest) and plug in the usb part to the usb socket next to it. Phone charges, connects to bluetooth and you can use the touch screen, buttons , voice, or steering wheel buttons to control.

here is a similar item

Suncoast Porsche, Audi, & VW: PCM 3.0 - "3G" iPod & iPhone Interface Cable
Part number for the new cable:
997 612 471 02

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you confirm for me that with this new cord you reference, BOTH the phone via bluetooth and iPOD will work?
Thanks in Advance

here is a similar item

PCM 3.0 - "3G" iPod & iPhone Interface Cable:Suncoast Automotive Porsche, Audi, & VW

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi my car was delivered with the new cable and it allows iPod connectivity and charging. The bluetooth has not changed still ok.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Confirmed also: iphone 3Gs charges, plays music and bluetooth connects. There was a recent PCM update that fixes some quirks in accessing large libraries and the library through the left turn stalk. It all works brilliant now. I have the update disk if you can't get it through the dealer. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts