Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I saw k-man S thread on the Ipod but I'm really a rookie at this. I made a search but didn't work for me. What do I need to buy or modify to fit my iphone in the radio of the car. I just want to play the music but if it charges it will be better. Any suggestions ? Will appreciate it.
Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried the search but can't find if I need to change the radio or what do I need to buy. I had a BMW 645ci and they sell an interface designed to work the iphone in the cars Idrive. I know that our cars aren't like that but maybe they sell something similar. If not what aftermarket radio can I buy.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I tried the search but can't find if I need to change the radio or what do I need to buy. I had a BMW 645ci and they sell an interface designed to work the iphone in the cars Idrive. I know that our cars aren't like that but maybe they sell something similar. If not what aftermarket radio can I buy.
Well that's why I suggested searching on iphone and reading some of the topic results that came back, especially those that mention the Dension unit.

You can buy any old FM adapter
You can buy a Dension gateway 500 unit or equivalent and install that, we even have articles on it in our ARticles section (another good place to search)
You can swap out the head unit with an Alpine or something else, and again there are forum topics and an article on that as well.

It just depends on what you want to do, then I'd suggest reading up on the related topics to your particular item of interest.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,769 Posts
What year and make is your Porsche? The interfaces are different in model years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey did you find what you were looking for? I'm looking for a way to connect the iphone 3Gs to play music only as well . I have an 07 cayman without the bose system, I definitely feel your pain man, this year's integration with the iphone really blows! I went to the dealership and the guy (fort worth) just said yea we get that complaint a lot...umm...really??? Anyways, if you found a simple solution could you send me a message please, I'm just getting tired of having to continuously burn CDs.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Hey did you find what you were looking for? I'm looking for a way to connect the iphone 3Gs to play music only as well . I have an 07 cayman without the bose system, I definitely feel your pain man, this year's integration with the iphone really blows! I went to the dealership and the guy (fort worth) just said yea we get that complaint a lot...umm...really??? Anyways, if you found a simple solution could you send me a message please, I'm just getting tired of having to continuously burn CDs.
Did you even bother to do a search of this site? There are tons of discussions regarding iPod connectivity and integration here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you even bother to do a search of this site? There are tons of discussions regarding iPod connectivity and integration here.
Yes, but most people had either bose, or PCM, or no solution was posted. Do you know what the easiest solution would be?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Yes, but most people had either bose, or PCM, or no solution was posted. Do you know what the easiest solution would be?
For first generation 987's it would be the Dension Gateway 500 unit because it works with Bose, with PCM and with the standard CDR-24 radio, you just need to install per whatever you happen to have. You get more visual features if you have PCM, but you can still control your ipod even with a CDR-24 standard radio if that's all you have. I would suggest calling Eric at BumperPlugs.com and he can sell you the system that is right for your car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok sounds great, thank you! I ended up purchasing a separate system altogether, however hopefully this could help others with the same question in the future.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the Sony XAV-60 unit. Then a friend of mine with a cayman that got something similar installed told me I had to buy the double din fitting kit and wiring so I went ahead and purchased that too. It seemed like I was going to have to spend 200 just to get my ipod wired so I figured I would just get a new receiver and pay a little more instead. I also had to purchase the Sony RC-200IPV iPod cable for it, hopefully it'll work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts