Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**EDIT**

READ BELOW--Per Eric at BumperPlugs, the MOST UNIT WITH CABLE FOR OVER $400--sort of a DEAL KILLER. SORRY TO GET THE HOPES UP

**EDIT**

Has anyone heard of the new Dension Gateway Lite GWL1MO1 (~100 Euro)?

It seems that this a unit that allows one to hook up an iPod or iPhone and use a USB drive with five folders as a playlist on the CDR-24 Bose.

I've got the 6 disc CD-changer, and it seems to take the place of that unit.

Who might supply the unit in the US?

Again, it seems to list for 100 euro, making it much less than the Gateway 500 for NON-PCM Bose units...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hallelujah brother! The only thing standing between me and the ipod in my Cayman was the absurd price of the Gateway 500. I'm calling my audio shop tomorrow to check the compatibility and if it works, it goes in immediately. Mind you, the compatibility chart on Dension's website doesn't mention the CDR24 or Porsche for that matter, but other sites do. Keep your fingers crossed:)

·
Boxster Enthusiast
76 Posts
JimSouCal said:
Has anyone heard of the new Dension Gateway Lite GWL1MO1 (~100 Euro)?

It seems that this a unit that allows one to hook up an iPod or iPhone and use a USB drive with five folders as a playlist on the CDR-24 Bose.

I've got the 6 disc CD-changer, and it seems to take the place of that unit.

Who might supply the unit in the US?

Again, it seems to list for 100 euro, making it much less than the Gateway 500 for NON-PCM Bose units...
It looks like the version compatible with our cars us the Gateway Lite MOST.

·
West Coast Group & PCA Member
269 Posts
Hallelujah brother! The only thing standing between me and the ipod in my Cayman was the absurd price of the Gateway 500. I'm calling my audio shop tomorrow to check the compatibility and if it works, it goes in immediately. Mind you, the compatibility chart on Dension's website doesn't mention the CDR24 or Porsche for that matter, but other sites do. Keep your fingers crossed:)
Even though they don't reference Porsche on the compatibility chart, they do have files for configuring the unit for a Porsche. Check out the Technical Data and Downloads section on this page: http://dension.com/index.php?pageID=231
The installation guide and configuration files note Porsche setup for the unit. It looks like you have to go to the dealer to have the CD changer enabled. Finally, something that will work better than a FM modulator maybe close at hand. :dance: Does anyone know if this is available in the US?

·
Boxster Enthusiast
76 Posts
Even though they don't reference Porsche on the compatibility chart, they do have files for configuring the unit for a Porsche. Check out the Technical Data and Downloads section on this page: Dension: Gateway Lite <font color="#903434">99€*</font>
The installation guide and configuration files note Porsche setup for the unit. It looks like you have to go to the dealer to have the CD changer enabled. Finally, something that will work better than a FM modulator maybe close at hand. :dance: Does anyone know if this is available in the US?
I've been conversing with Eric of Bumperplugs today and they have been testing the Gateway Lite for MOST for Dension in LA. It is compatible with Porsche and works great without issue he tells me. He also said to let you all know that he will be carrying the unit as the US distributer and will report on pricing and availability this week sometime. He even mentioned a possible group buy but that it is still early to say for sure.

Here is a link to an install PDF from Dension that specifically speaks to compatibility with Porsche: www.dension.com/download.php?file=gatewaylitemostinstallguide.pdf

·
West Coast Group & PCA Member
269 Posts
I've been conversing with Eric of Bumperplugs today and they have been testing the Gateway Lite for MOST for Dension in LA. It is compatible with Porsche and works great without issue he tells me. He also said to let you all know that he will be carrying the unit as the US distributer and will report on pricing and availability this week sometime. He even mentioned a possible group buy but that it is still early to say for sure.

Here is a link to an install PDF from Dension that specifically speaks to compatibility with Porsche: www.dension.com/download.php?file=gatewaylitemostinstallguide.pdf
Thanks Beach987 for the update. I look forward to the upcoming info from Bumperplugs and the possible group buy. :thanks:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Beach987 for the update. I look forward to the upcoming info from Bumperplugs and the possible group buy. :thanks:
Indeed, beach987--and everyone else--thanks for the info and follow up.

Eric at BumperPlugs has a real good reputation and track record of assisting others with the Dension product, so thanks for inquiry to him... The group buy--excellent idea.

I guess I will need to sell the Bose 6CD changer soon... Be interesting to see if the phone will send the audio out through the speakers. I think it might behave like the earbuds, or other iPod enabled stereos, and if it does, bingo. In any case, just being to load up a Fat32 USB drive and play the songs is a win.

Maybe I will actually start listening to the stereo more often.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Forget it guys. Had a long talk (two) with the Dension folks.

The unit has a retail price of $389! On top of that, the damn thing does not come with the iPod cable, so add another $43. Ridiculous. I told them this product will never sell in this market at those prices, but we are prepared to ramp up inventory if demand is high and the price comes down.

I'll keep you posted (through beach987 too) if we make some headway.

I think if we had enough interest and buyers ready for this, we might be able to get them in for under $350 all in, but still a far cry from the sub $200 I had hoped for.

The cheap 'Lite' product that you may read about is not for fiber optic vehicles - it's for others (BMW, VW, Audi, all non fiber optic) and those are under $200 each.

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
929 Posts
Drat! Further proof of if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. For under $200 this was a no-brainer, and at $300 I may even consider it, but $400 + (with cable) is too much.

We appreciate your efforts nonetheless, Eric!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forget it guys. ...The unit has a retail price of $389! ...The cheap 'Lite' product that you may read about is not for fiber optic vehicles - it's for others (BMW, VW, Audi, all non fiber optic) and those are under $200 each.
Eric, thanks for looking into this. I agree, the $ is a deal killer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We're still working on Dension on this one. Could be that we can get the units and cables in volume for a bit less than standard pricing....and we'll cut our margins for this group too.

Is there a breaking point on the pricing below where it is now? If, for example, we could work this deal to a price below $350, but probably north of $300, is that still a no-go?

Just trying to figure out the best way to make this happen.

·
Registered
380 Posts
$300 would be a "no go" for me.

At around $160 (or 100 Pounds) it sounded like a fair deal. At twice that, it sounds like Dension is should include some lubricant. ;>)

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
929 Posts
For my $.02, I guess if I was going to go for an integration solution like this, and the "lite" version was around $350, I'd probably wait and see if there would be a holiday sale (or similar promotion) and go for the GW 500 to get full functionality.

Thanks again for your research, Eric.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts