Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up for Iracing a few months back with the main purpose of getting practice for DE's: working on smoothness, learning tracks, etc.

I was planning on buying a cayman but they dont have one! They do however ave a GT3. Does anyone have any thoughts about the best vehicle to practice with to help me drive my Cayman? I'm leaning towards sticking with the Mx5 (which I have been using to date), but am open to switching to GT3 or something else.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think the MX-5's are very useful. iRacing mostly has real racing cars in it that are too fast and too far removed from what a roadgoing car feels like. The closest thing to practicing road car driving for me was always the little Mazda. It's a momentum car so it teaches you some good habits.

Something like Assetto Corsa (regular, not the Competizione variant) does have loads of road cars including regular Porsches and does a good job on the simulation part too. It's very cheap too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll likely stick with the MX5 for now.

I barely have enough time to devote to Iracing (lucky to get 1-2hrs a week), so may need to keep Assetto Corsa for later. I do have Forza 7 if I can find some time in the meantime though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The mx5 is definitely a good learning platform but the loose backend and odd lack of traction if you start sliding can be frustrating. The Ruf track car was recommended on another forum and I really enjoy it. Not a cayman but feels a lot closer and you’re less likely to just slide off into a wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts