Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After extensive research and hours of reading posts on this site, Im about to add an aftermarket exhaust. It seems Borla is a great choice but I am concerned that it may be too loud for daily driving. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
IMO, no - it's not too loud for daily driving.

The great thing about the Borla is that the engine sound at idle is only very slightly louder than stock, but deeper and throatier. It's only when you push the engine about 3000rpm that you really start to hear it sing.

I drive with Sport mode on most of the time in regular traffic here in Southern California and unless I'm really stomping on the throttle the sound isn't that much louder than stock.

Now, one of my friends, who lives in Ventura, just bought himself a Lamborghini Murcielago with a Fuchs exhaust. He can't drive the car to work in the morning for fear of waking up the entire neighborhood. The Borla is nothing like that.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Get it. Try it. Worst case scenario you lose $500 or so getting rid of it when all is said and done. No harm, no foul.

The odds are heavily in favor of you loving it. We are not talking about a Honda Accord, so I assume you have different expectations. I feel that my car sounds like it looks now.

Purely personal taste.

·
Registered
63 Posts
After extensive research and hours of reading posts on this site, Im about to add an aftermarket exhaust. It seems Borla is a great choice but I am concerned that it may be too loud for daily driving. Any thoughts? Thanks
For me, loudness wasn't a problem, the drone was. For the route I drive, It took too much awareness to keep the revs out of the drone range. The extra RPMS needed to stay above the drone range also lowered the gas mileage.

If possible, find someone with a Borla and get an 'in car' demo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me, loudness wasn't a problem, the drone was. For the route I drive, It took too much awareness to keep the revs out of the drone range. The extra RPMS needed to stay above the drone range also lowered the gas mileage.

Is the drone range 2500-3000?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I have vowed not to change my exhaust until I can get a ride and experience it first hand. Unfortunately, and kind of surprisingly, I have been to four PCA DEs, have met a dozen or so other Cayman owners, and nary a one had an aftermarket exhaust.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Is the drone range 2500-3000?
For the Gen I Cayman, the drone appears to be around 2200-2800rpm.

For the Gen II, it's a little lower, around 1800-2600rpm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got the Borla for 955.00 delivered....a deal I couldn't pass on. The exhaust gets installed on Wednesday. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just installed the borla today.

I was concerned about the drone as discussed on the board and finaly heard one and understod that it wasnt a problem and could be managed very easily. The drone really only happens when you load the engine in a high gear going up a hill or trying to excelerate in the drone band.

The borla sounds great, nice deep sound and very much a Porsche sound :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
You might initially think it is too loud, but soon you will think it's "just right".

A Borla catback changed the personality of my CS, and the personality of the driver too.

:hilarious:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMO, no - it's not too loud for daily driving.

The great thing about the Borla is that the engine sound at idle is only very slightly louder than stock, but deeper and throatier. It's only when you push the engine about 3000rpm that you really start to hear it sing.

I drive with Sport mode on most of the time in regular traffic here in Southern California and unless I'm really stomping on the throttle the sound isn't that much louder than stock.

Now, one of my friends, who lives in Ventura, just bought himself a Lamborghini Murcielago with a Fuchs exhaust. He can't drive the car to work in the morning for fear of waking up the entire neighborhood. The Borla is nothing like that.

The Borla went on today and it sounds amazing! I had goosebumps driving it back to Miami!. Thanks for your imput.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts