Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
There is no substitute!
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had a chance to drive my croc for over a week and would like to start it just to hear its sound, however there is sever weather advisory for the New York area at the moment. Thus, I thougth of just to start itand let it idle for about 20 minutes. Based on the owners manual, I should avoid short trips during the break in period, which brings me to the question of: Is it bad for the engine run idle?

·
There is no substitute!
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To answer my own question the simple answer is Yes. Based on my friends Audi owners manual and to the quick research I've done on Google it is actually bad for the engine to run idle. It falls in the same category with warming up your engine before driving your car.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
What is wrong with warming up your engine before you drive by letting it idle until 175 degrees is met?

I've heard this twice now but it doesn't really make logical sense to me.

Shane

·
Registered
261 Posts
The reason is that you want to warm up all the car's parts, transmission and all. If you let it warm up on idle, you only warm the engine.

What is wrong with warming up your engine before you drive by letting it idle until 175 degrees is met?

I've heard this twice now but it doesn't really make logical sense to me.

Shane

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
As others have said, it wastes gas and adds pollution, but to answer your question in relation to 'is it bad for the engine?' the answer is no. A car at idle is part of it's natural state. As someone said above, what happens when you have to sit in traffic, stop'n'go, etc etc. You can't keep turning the engine off and re-starting it every 10 feet.

<P>

Letting your car idle will not harm the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts