Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just wrong to use a gas powered leaf blower to aid in drying your car after washing?

I feel a bit odd when I cheat by using it, its just so much faster.;) My neibourghs already think I'm odd for hand washing my cars so often, even though its just once a week.

I'm just wondering what others are thinking?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Nothing wrong with it. It's a very common practice among car detailing enthusiasts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nothing odd, but I would suggest switching to an electric blower as opposed to a gas powered one. Less chance of blowing contaminants onto the paint at 160mph with the electric version.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We are all aware of the rust on our brake rotors after a wash. After reading a post on this website, I decided to use my leaf blower on the wheels/ brakes to assist in removing water. I then drive the car to "scrub off" the rust from the rotors. This technique has worked pretty well. All I have when I get back is some dust to wipe off, rather than additional dark stains.:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I too use electric and who cares what the neignbors think as they are not washing the car. Check out the way they wash their cars, that is IF they wash them

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
They do make heated blowers just for drying cars/motorcycles.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Never thought about trying that one. Might have to give that a try come the spring time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have been using a leaf blower for a couple of years now...works great...less toweling and gets more water out of the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you must use this shortcut, use an air compressor to dry the car.
While using a leaf blower might sound like a good idea, it has no air filter to provide a clean stream of air.
And the broad air pattern of a leaf blower will drive any sand, dirt and debris that sits on your driveway right into your paint at 160 mph.

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
I've used both a leaf blower and an air compressor. Mine, like most air compressors, doesn't have the cfm to effectively blow dry a car. The leaf blower, on the other hand, does. I haven't had an issue with blowing sand onto the car because I point the blower at the car, not the driveway. I still need to dry the car off a little after the blower, but it does a great job of getting the water out of the wheels and the nooks and crannies around the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts