Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery tender cable got cut in half on accident. Is a solder connection safe enough to salvage the battery maintainer?

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Yes, so long as you insulate the soldered wire joints after.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
You mean we cant stretch out this thread?

Not that Im trying to but I see you dont have the desnork mod. It will help your mod combo (virtually the same power mods as my old 06).

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
The easiest way to do this is cut the two wires in a staggered fashion. IE so each wire is separated by an inch or two from the other opposite polarity wire. Make sure the spacing is sufficient so that the bare wires don't touch.

____________X_____________________________
_______________________X__________________

Slip a piece of appropriately sized heat shrink tube over the wire now. You can get this at Radio Shack. Make sure it's just a little bigger than the wires. Most only shrink by a factor of 2. Also ensure it's long enough to cover both joints.

Twist the wires around each other as opposed to making a pigtail sticking out. Make sure you preserved the polarity otherwise you'll have a battery discharger. Solder both.

Slip the heat shrink tube up over both soldered joints and shrink it. A heat gun is best but the Rat Shack variety will usually shrink with a hair dryer. Done and it usually looks ok too without big lumps etc.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
You mean we cant stretch out this thread?

Not that Im trying to but I see you dont have the desnork mod. It will help your mod combo (virtually the same power mods as my old 06).
Yes I do. Signature space is limited.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
The easiest way to do this is cut the two wires in a staggered fashion. IE so each wire is separated by an inch or two from the other opposite polarity wire. Make sure the spacing is sufficient so that the bare wires don't touch.

____________X_____________________________
_______________________X__________________

Slip a piece of appropriately sized heat shrink tube over the wire now. You can get this at Radio Shack. Make sure it's just a little bigger than the wires. Most only shrink by a factor of 2. Also ensure it's long enough to cover both joints.

Twist the wires around each other as opposed to making a pigtail sticking out. Make sure you preserved the polarity otherwise you'll have a battery discharger. Solder both.

Slip the heat shrink tube up over both soldered joints and shrink it. A heat gun is best but the Rat Shack variety will usually shrink with a hair dryer. Done and it usually looks ok too without big lumps etc.
And if you want a really hermetically sealed joint, solder the staggered joints, paint with liquid tape, then heat shrink for tensile strength. Then you can cover the joint with black vinyl electrical tape to minimize the visual effect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts