Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to find a PDK '12-15 boxster w/ <25k miles, single owner for <$50k

I've been using autotrader and the porsche search locator to find this kind of car but most have more than 1 previous owner. Does two previous owners indicate something wrong or just fickle owners? just to fill out the search (total spend $50k):
2012-15, <25k miles, PDK (wife can't drive MT), Bi-xenon w/PLDS, Premium, Sport Chrono, single owner,
exterior blue preferred, red next choice, then gray, white, or black, prefer light color interior but will accept black (everything seems to be black)

I know that most single owners are lease returns so I'm guessing I've missed the window on lease returns.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Is it possible to find a PDK '12-15 boxster w/ <25k miles, single owner for <$50k

Are you looking for base, S, or GTS? The prices will vary widely.
You will be hard pressed to find any S or GTS for much less than $50k right now. They are holding their prices well. Most S are around the $50-55k range with GTS even higher.

You might be able to find a single-owner Base.

I'm not sure if it's the 4-banger in the new 718 that's helping the 981 prices or if it's just market conditions but they've been holding value quite well for the last year to 18 months.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Re: Is it possible to find a PDK '12-15 boxster w/ <25k miles, single owner for <$50k

This isn't exactly what you are looking for but will give you an idea. I worked with Paul at MCM for my Cayman, very satisfied customer.

2013 Porsche Boxster S Charleston SC 16318336

·
Registered
34,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks. The base model. Unless I find out the options I want are only available on the S model and then I will have to re-think my minimum to be 55k.

I guess my alternative question is should I be worried about a car that has had two owners? three or 4 I would probably think suggests a problem.

·
Registered
34,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Another question from past buyers, since this car will be anywhere from 2-5 years old, has anyone gotten the dealers to flush brake fluid/power steering/AT/etc. without a huge expense? I regularly flush my brake/PS/MT fluid every 4 years and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
737 Posts

In February I picked up a 2013 Boxster s pdk cpo with 24.5k miles for $48k. It was listed at $52k, but I fought a little. . Has all the non performance options(NAV, Bose surround, etc), as well as the sport design wheel.

Being 4 years old, the cpo process made them to the spark plugs and brake fluid flush in addition to their checks. That, as well as oil and air filters, was the only real work that they had to do. Brakes and tires were within cpo spec.

You just need to look for something in the $52k range and then talk them down. I think $48k was a fair deal, no excellent, but the dealer caught on that this was my first Porsche and that I was impatient. I probably could have gotten down to $46-$47k if I had played the walk away game.

·
Registered
832 Posts

Short answer is YES. You probably know this but when using autotrader list only the year, price, and range of search in addition to make and model. I've seen PDK listed as both manual and as automatic. I've seen cars with sport chrono that don't even list that as an option. This is especially true if the car is being sold by a non-Porsche dealer who really does not know what the options are on the car. Good Luck!

·
Registered
340 Posts

I've been using autotrader and the porsche search locator to find this kind of car but most have more than 1 previous owner. Does two previous owners indicate something wrong or just fickle owners? just to fill out the search (total spend $50k):
2012-15, <25k miles, PDK (wife can't drive MT), Bi-xenon w/PLDS, Premium, Sport Chrono, single owner,
exterior blue preferred, red next choice, then gray, white, or black, prefer light color interior but will accept black (everything seems to be black)

I know that most single owners are lease returns so I'm guessing I've missed the window on lease returns.

Thanks in advance.
It shouldn't be that hard if you widen your search to at least 500 miles though. Try https://www.cargurus.com/ and even cars.com, you'd be surprised what shows up on one may not appear on another site.
Why do you want a 2012 (987.2) Boxster? Just grab a 2013 981 and yes you do want the S model, unless you are buying the car just for looks.
I bought my 2013 Boxster S CPO with manual transmission and average options for $43.5K in January 2017, car did have 38K on it, but single owner.

·
Registered
34,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I prefer newer cars with lower mileage, so while I would accept a 2012 I would prefer a 2015. Most of the models I have seen are 2015. I was using cargurus.com in the beginning and you are correct about it showing some that the others did not - thanks.

The S models I see are typically another 5-10k more and I'm at my budget limit, otherwise I would opt to buy a new base model.

I wish I could go with an MT but my wife doesn't drive MT's so - happy wife, happy life - I'm getting a PDK.

·
Registered
897 Posts

Under the right circumstances I wouldn't worry too much about a car having more than one owner for 2 reasons.

- Like you stated originally some guys are fickle and trade cars frequently, as long as the car was maintained properly and the Car Fax and service records are in order I wouldn't worry about it too much.

- I recently purchased a CPO 2016 CGTS with less than 1400 miles and technically I'm the third owner. The dealership originally owned it when it was new and sold it the first owner. The original owner traded the car in for a GT4 and the dealer took the car back into inventory and resold it to me. So I believe if you Car Fax my car it will show 3 owners within 5 months.

Good luck in your search and be patient but once you find the right car for you tou need to ounce on it as the good ones tend to disappear quickly.

·
Registered
34,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Sorry to keep asking questions but I do appreciate the answers, nearing the finish line.
- So I've found a couple of cars that have most of what I want. The dealer listed prices are just under $50k. The KBB ranges from $46.5 to $50k. Should I start out with an offer around $47, ask for a best offer?
- I found a checklist for buying a used boxster and they recommend two things I hadn't thought of: 1) have the stop check the engine for number of redlines, and 2) get a 4 wheel laser alignment check. Anything else to consider?

·
Registered
737 Posts

Sorry to keep asking questions but I do appreciate the answers, nearing the finish line.
- So I've found a couple of cars that have most of what I want. The dealer listed prices are just under $50k. The KBB ranges from $46.5 to $50k. Should I start out with an offer around $47, ask for a best offer?
- I found a checklist for buying a used boxster and they recommend two things I hadn't thought of: 1) have the stop check the engine for number of redlines, and 2) get a 4 wheel laser alignment check. Anything else to consider?
I started a little less than the car gurus price for good deal and wound up at a little more.

If a manual, id definitely ask for a red line report. If these are Porsche dealers, id ask that they CPO it, that would be worth a lot to me. If they won't CPO it, I'd ask why. I'd want to know what disqualifies it for CPO and what would need to be done for it to be a CPO car.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts

Ditto on the over-rev report (or as you say, redline) if the car is manual. In fact, it's an absolute necessity for a manual IMO. An over-rev report would be a nice to have on a PDK, but not a necessity. Curiously, I was showing around 2200 stage 1s and 22 stage 2s on the 56k mile 6-speed 2011 911 GTS I just sold. Checked our PDK 2012 Cayman with only 24k miles last weekend that's my wife's DD and to my surprise it's showing 5400 stage 1s (no stage 2 or higher). I thought she never ran the car aggressively...clearly not the case.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Yes, I picked up a 2014 base model in Guards red for $39k with 20k miles. One owner, trade in at Lexus dealership. It was babied too, called the Porsche dealership it was serviced at to get history before buying it. Always do that!
It still had 2 years left on warranty and MSRP was right at $70k. Sports chrono, PDK, 19" wheels, Plds, Bose, cooled and heated seats, etc.

I wanted red with black interior and PDK. It took 15 months for a local one to pop up and they were asking $42k, took 39k and I feel like I robbed them with the options this one had. :)

Set up alerts on cars.com and Autotrader. Best way to get it quick.

·
Registered
34,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Yes, I picked up a 2014 base model in Guards red for $39k with 20k miles. One owner, trade in at Lexus dealership. It was babied too, called the Porsche dealership it was serviced at to get history before buying it. Always do that!
It still had 2 years left on warranty and MSRP was right at $70k. Sports chrono, PDK, 19" wheels, Plds, Bose, cooled and heated seats, etc.

I wanted red with black interior and PDK. It took 15 months for a local one to pop up and they were asking $42k, took 39k and I feel like I robbed them with the options this one had. :)

Set up alerts on cars.com and Autotrader. Best way to get it quick.
Thanks. I should have qualified that I was also looking for a CPO car which really limited my options. I tried calling a couple of dealers but they refused to tell me if they serviced a car. I think it is crazy that Porsche doesn't have a single DB for all of their cars. I can go on lexus and find the entire service history of my 96 LS400. I appreciate the guidance though. I did get a '14 BS but not for $50k out the door. Still very happy.

·
Registered
34,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

That is a nice car. Really like the color (mine is black, and although I love the car - I would have really liked blue or red). Looks well equipped but I would have had to wait another 6 months - (after 30 years of waiting) :). IU hope it finds an exceptional owner. I know I would have taken great care of it. The one GOTCHA is the CPO part. The listing says "may be covered" which is technically correct but not a CPO - I got mine extended to October 2020 - no problems so far (really happy with the quality). Red was my first choice of colors. European delivery would not have bothered me as I am contemplating taking mine the other way. Thanks for posting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.