Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m a big fan of heated steering wheels in just about any car, but especially in a convertible because it extends the driving season. Can you take a heated wheel from another Porsche (such as the SKU9X7480 Steering Wheel - Leather with heating option at Suncoast $1095) and transplant it into a 2016 6-speed 981 Boxster S? I found this gizmo (Steering Wheel Adapter from German Performance Service STMV1-H $349) after searching these forums. Will this work? What else will I need?

Here's a link to the GPS adapter: https://gpsadapter.us/products/stmv1?variant=38387044875

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yes, it will work, I have that adapter in my new GT Sport wheel (from a 718) in my 981, but I didn't opt for the seat heating even though the new wheel has the button. You will also need a new clock spring to make it work, plus coding so the dealer (or any computer equipped garage) can activate it with his PIWIS. Not cheap but it will work. I think clock springs run $400 or so. If you can't get the coding through the dealer there are hackers out there that sell it, I know one I used for my PCM install that offers it for $100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mitch48,

Did you get the new clock spring from the dealer? Do you have a part number or description for it?

Were you able to re-use the existing airbag or did you have to buy a new one?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I answered stumil's questions privately, but for the rest that may be reading, here's the answer. I didn't have to get a new clock spring since I didn't go for the heated wheel, but if you want a heated wheel a new clock spring is needed, I don't have the number handy but it costs about $400. Besides the CS you will need the code for heated steering and activation by the dealer. Using the adapter supplied by Li Paul you will also have to replace one tiny resistor in the wheel by soldering. Then everything will work. My car didn't have a heated wheel, I considered going that route but the added expense and bother just weren't worth it to me when a heated wheel isn't needed that much in my neck of the woods. I would like to activate the Sport Chrono knob that came on my new GT Sport Design wheel, and Li Paul now has the parts to make that work too, its just more $$$ and I've invested a ton just in the new wheel and airbag so I'm holding off for now. And yes, a new airbag is needed if you switch to the 718 wheel, it is much smaller than the 981 airbag. Installation is a breeze though. Check the thread under modifications titled "Fastest Mod ever".

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Mitch48,

Did you get the new clock spring from the dealer? Do you have a part number or description for it?

Were you able to re-use the existing airbag or did you have to buy a new one?

Thanks again.
Check out the thread Mitch suggests, I put the part number of the clock spring in there a week or so back...

I too am thinking of this upgrade for my Boxster.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My memory is faulty( no surprise there), a new clockspring is around $260 from multiple suppliers if you just google the P/N, which is 9A7-953-568-11, BTW. Still, springing for a new adapter plus coding, dealer computer time, and the clock spring would bump $1000 which is too high for me for a heated wheel. Now if I lived in MN or ND I'd probably justify it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have read a couple posts regarding this and in both cases of people trying it, they amassed all of the parts, installed them and then took them to the dealership for programming. In both cases, their dealerships told them that they could not do it. I don't know if that's definitive but I figured it was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yes, that's what happened with me, UNTIL I found the adapter mentioned above, and with it you will be able to successfully get it to work. For heat you still need the dealer to activate it, once you have the code, but it will work. If you just want the wheel and maybe the MF buttons the dealer isn't even necessary, just plug n
play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks again Mitch48! Here's the summation I just posted on Rennlist in the 987-981 718 Forum on Rennlist:

1) find a new or used donor steering wheel such as: SKU9X7480 Steering Wheel - Leather with heating option at Suncoast, $1095.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9X7480.html

I've also been told that you can get a new Macan wheel with airbag on eBay which will work just as well.

2) Purchase LIN Bus Steering Wheel adapter from from German Performance Service (GPS): STMV1-H, $349

https://gpsadapter.us/products/stmv1

3) From Li Paul at GPS regarding new clockspring for heated wheel: You need new clock spring with heating support, clock spring support heating part number at Suncoast:
#956-652-568-14

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...PWxheWVyXzE%3D

Airbag from old steering wheel works with the link you given:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9X7480.html

4) get Porsche dealer to reprogram PIWIS to enable steering wheel heat in your new clock spring control module.

If you don't care about the heated wheel but do want multi-function, you won't need a new clock spring or a PIWIS reprogram, just the new wheel with the MF control and the adapter from GPS.

I have not tried this yet, the info above is a compilation of what I've learned here and on the Planet 9 forums (thanks Mitch48!). Here is a good link to Cysco's informative Rennlist post on 9/30/2017:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...boxster-s.html

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
if heat is not desired the dealer visit isn't necessary to get the MF buttons to work, just install the adapter and put the wheel on.
Not that I'm interested in doing this, but am curious if a wheel with MF controls is added to replace a PD sport wheel, if MF controls are transferred from the right-hand lever to the wheel, or both are operational. For an OEM look, you'd need a column stalk without the MF lever, but it'd add to the cost considerably. Just curious if the MF module supports both inputs, or just one. Since you said no programming required, it must be that both are supported, but wanted to know for sure. Thx.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Full disclosure, I am in South Central California, but I DO drive in 50° f weather.
I ordered the heated wheel thinking it will help on chilly mornings. I was very disappointed, and if I did it over, I would not bother with it. I can barely tell if it is on. My Audi TT had it and heated seats and they were great.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Not that I'm interested in doing this, but am curious if a wheel with MF controls is added to replace a PD sport wheel, if MF controls are transferred from the right-hand lever to the wheel, or both are operational. For an OEM look, you'd need a column stalk without the MF lever, but it'd add to the cost considerably. Just curious if the MF module supports both inputs, or just one. Since you said no programming required, it must be that both are supported, but wanted to know for sure. Thx.
I'm not positive but I think both are supported. I went from a standard MF wheel in my 981 to a 718 GT sport wheel with MF buttons, no dealer help was needed. Go to Linda Paul's site and if your questions aren't answered just email him.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Oh, from MF to MF makes sense. Thought it was from an SD to MF, hence my question. An MF car doesn't have the lever I was referring to. But thanks man. Was just curiosity. I don't want to change anything to my car; really happy with the SD wheel with paddles and nothing else;).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Full disclosure, I am in South Central California, but I DO drive in 50° f weather.
I ordered the heated wheel thinking it will help on chilly mornings. I was very disappointed, and if I did it over, I would not bother with it. I can barely tell if it is on. My Audi TT had it and heated seats and they were great.
That's really disappointing to hear. I've been holding out on doing this while I think about the heating, living in the UK I also thought it might help on those chilly mornings. Other cars I've tried have been great. Only thing I can think of seeing if I can find one to try in 718 in case they've improved the heating element.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
FWIW, the heated wheel on my Cayenne gets very hot, maybe yours is an anomaly? I at first thought the only thing needed to get the heat to work on my new GT sport wheel was soldering the resistor in place, then I read further to see coding is necessary, and a visit to a PIWIS equpped shop. My new wheel has the heat switch, so I could have gotten the adapter with that wiring for not additional cost, but reading about the soldering process of such a tiny resistor turned me off. Total added cost would be in the neighborhood of $550-600 depending on how much the dealer charged for the computer time. New clock spring is about $350, coding cost from a hacker is $100, and as I've already said, its just not worth it to me in a pretty temperate state. I do wish I could get the sport chrono mode knob to work, and Li Paul now has a fix for that, but to go back and buy another adapter (even with core trade-in) is more than I want to spend right now. I am considering removing the knob from the wheel, two screws hold it in place and since the new GT sport wheel is a modular design I think I can find a blocking plate to plug the hole it would leave.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Chiming in. I did this install not long ago. (thread referenced above) Most of the info in this thread is correct.

Heating - You need to order an adapter from gps that supports the heating (he makes two different ones. those for a wheel with heating and one without) You will need to purchase a new clock spring as your existing one is missing one of the prongs that would allow the new heated wheel to draw power. I'm pretty sure that you don't need to get the car programmed to enable the heating. It should just work if you replace the clock spring. You should reach out to Paul at GPS to verify. Like Mitch48, I didn't think it was worth the added expense for heating so went without.

Multifunction - All your multi function button will work without programming EXCEPT for the diamond "Joker" button. The joker button allows you to assign various functionality to the button through the car's PCM. I still haven't gotten mine reprogrammed, but I can confirm that volume roller, selection roller, phone buttons and return button all function without programming. The selection stock on the steering column remains functional as well.

I highly recommend the new wheel. It feels great, has a great paddle feel and classes up the interior.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.