Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if others also don't use sport because they find the throttle response less natural, more artificial, less connected, loss controllable?

Never used the sport mode on my Z4C as it was completely artificial feeling and it actually made shifting smooth very difficult. Its better on the 981, but I still find it 'distancing" in some sense from feeling connected and in control of the car.

Am I :crazy:?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's the third button I press after starting the car every day (after the heated seats & wheel :)). I didn't use it for the first couple months, but now it's on 100% of the time.

I also always had it on with my Z4.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I have never used the sport button. I only use the sport + button (because sport is not aggressive enough for me :) ) and press it every time I get in the car (which also engages sport mode for PASM and PSE).

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Interesting and I wonder if it being a manual has something to do with it because I think it makes a huge difference in a PDK-equipped car. Even in manual mode of a PDK car, shifts happen so much faster when Sport mode is on and that's enough reason to turn it on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My car is a manual and it is the first button I push! The sound and throttle response are great!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Your thread of yesterday related how frustrated you were in not being able to drive enthusiastically in certain environments. And today, you relate that you DON'T use the Sport button???? :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Just wondering if others also don't use sport because they find the throttle response less natural, more artificial, less connected, loss controllable?

Never used the sport mode on my Z4C as it was completely artificial feeling and it actually made shifting smooth very difficult. Its better on the 981, but I still find it 'distancing" in some sense from feeling connected and in control of the car.

Are you kidding?

It was the first button I hit after turning the key in the ignition in my 987 and it stayed on all the time. The second button was turning off the PSM. I wish both can be programmed so by default.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

Just to make you feel a little better, I rarely use Sport mode and also run PASM on its normal setting. I like the standard throttle response and do just fine running through the gears without any electronic boosters in place. I also find the Sport setting in PASM too harsh over the typical road surfaces I drive on.

See, now there are two of us who can car pool to the nursing home and back.

·
Registered
700 Posts
When I first got the BGTS I had it on all the time. Lately I have made a few drives with it off but still sport button is pushed 90% of the time. I like the shift pattern and the throttle response better.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I use it, but have trained myself to not use it until the oil temp reaches 160. That forces me to let the oil come up to temp and not "abuse (play)" until the car is properly heated up. But at 160 the sport button gets pushed!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I use it when I want to drive more aggressively. All it does is make the throttle response faster, the car stays in lower gear longer, and steering/headlights are more twitchy. I don't like how the throttle starts gets a jerky response.

Overall, it feels more natural with it off for normal driving and its off 75%+ of the time.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts

What is an unnatural/artificial throttle response? Sport+ remaps the throttle (among other things) but it does not make you less connected. IMHO you are more connected. When I forget to turn on Sport+ I feel like I have to mash the pedal about 3/4s of the way down before the car responds. So I make an effort to remember to punch my Sport+ button right after I turn the car on. I don't wait for 160º.
:cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hard to articulate our perceptions, which are obviously subjective, but I think it's less controlled, less precise, more "jumpy" as another has put it, the loss of progression I guess feels less "natural" to me as compared to the standard throttle. The car is more responsive in sport, but the throttle does become a little more like an on/off switch to me....

1 - 20 of 81 Posts