Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have solidified my build (Boxster S) and been provided a decent purchase price with an April allocation. I have figured out my finances and can afford the vehicle at this time but want to pursue a new career opportunity in a new location. I know I should hold off for a year and see what happens in my life but with the possibility of the vehicle refresh and change of power plant (4-cyl turbo) i'm not sure if I should wait. I know nothing has been solidified or even when the update is to take place, but I would hate to miss out on what I consider to be the perfect vehicle at this time in my life. I know worst case scenario I could order the car and if in a year I am in a different position I can take my loss and move on. I know typically the model year changes in June, does anyone think the change is going to take place this year (summer 2015) or do you think I can hold off until winter 2016 (January/February) to place my order? I appreciate all suggestions, thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
The 981 is NOT due for a midlife cycle update this year. The 991 is due before the 981.

As for whether you should hold or not concerning your job and finances, I think you'd be a better judge in that regard.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The 981 is NOT due for a midlife cycle update this year. The 991 is due before the 981.

As for whether you should hold or not concerning your job and finances, I think you'd be a better judge in that regard.
Is it that unlikely that they'd do both at the same time for 2016?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Regardless of when the update is due, who would want a four cylinder turbo?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
The 981.2 won't be out this year taking into consideration the GT4 and 991.2 that are due first. The GT4 has been confirmed this fall, therefore the 981.2 is to follow. The 991.2 is due this year, but whether they'll push it to 2016 I'm not sure they would. But sure I hope so to give my turbo extra time before its successor follows after the 991.2 Carrera.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi no expert, just a guy waiting for his ship(and 2015 CS) to come in!

Me, I like the heritage and idea of the flat six, not a huge turbo fan and sad to say, not sure I want a brand new 4 cylinder turbo P car first year, think IMS and my friend has an Audi 4 cylinder turbo suck oil like mad, already had one total rebuild and still a POS, from what I read not the only one that has this issue, and I wonder how much they will copy / use this engine as opposed to developing a new one from scratch?

I think like the air cooled cars, the last flat 6 will be more desirable(not collectible, but desirable than a new 4 cyl turbo.
JMHO

·
Registered
41 Posts
I came across this article (which I'm sure everyone's seen already).

The main point being the glaring error. They talk about this applying to the 2016 911 (and presumably also the 2016 Boxster/Cayman). But Wolfgang Hatz specifically talks about the "all-new" 911. So not the midlife facelift.

My gut feel is that we have another two or three years to get our straight sixes. And that they might become collectors' items, as the apex of Porsche normally aspirated straight six engines.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I came across this article (which I'm sure everyone's seen already).

The main point being the glaring error. They talk about this applying to the 2016 911 (and presumably also the 2016 Boxster/Cayman). But Wolfgang Hatz specifically talks about the "all-new" 911. So not the midlife facelift.

My gut feel is that we have another two or three years to get our straight sixes. And that they might become collectors' items, as the apex of Porsche normally aspirated straight six engines.
You have misinterpreted what was said (I think).

The 991.2 will be announced this spring, likely for immediate delivery starting in July. These are the cars with the new, smaller displacement, flat 6 turbos and are MY16 cars. That is what they call a facelift, that is, 991.2 vice the MY15 991.2

There is likely no 981.2 coming in 2015 (as a MY16). They run a year behind. 911s come first, just like the 981.1 was announced as the Boxster after the 991 in 2011. No, you won't have 2 or 3 years to get any "straight six" as they don't sell any straight sixes ;) but assuming you meant flat 6 in a Box/Cay, expect them in 2016 as a MY17 car.

For the OP, I would order whenever you feel comfortable but would not feel "rushed", yet.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just on principle: There is no time like the present. :)

My vote: go for it, and enjoy.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
It sounds like you have some uncertainty in your professsion and location. I would get that settled first before you make a huge financial commitment like buying a Porsche. There isn't going to be a huge change to the 981 in MY2016 anyway. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You have misinterpreted what was said (I think).

The 991.2 will be announced this spring, likely for immediate delivery starting in July. These are the cars with the new, smaller displacement, flat 6 turbos and are MY16 cars. That is what they call a facelift, that is, 991.2 vice the MY15 991.2

There is likely no 981.2 coming in 2015 (as a MY16). They run a year behind. 911s come first, just like the 981.1 was announced as the Boxster after the 991 in 2011. No, you won't have 2 or 3 years to get any "straight six" as they don't sell any straight sixes ;) but assuming you meant flat 6 in a Box/Cay, expect them in 2016 as a MY17 car.

For the OP, I would order whenever you feel comfortable but would not feel "rushed", yet.
Sorry. Flat 6 not straight 6.

All the official rumours I'd heard pointed to a 981.2 before the end of 2016.

But the point is that the 991.2 is not the "all-new 911"; we're expecting a mid-term facelift, not an all-new model. The confirmation is that the turbos will be in the all-new 911. Which points to it not being in the 991.2, right?

And therefore, logically, not in the 981.2 either.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Hmm. This article suggests something different. Got to get your 981 this year if you want a six cylinder NA engine.
Its the exact same article. All these auto blog do is take the same source material, and repeat it over and over again, sometimes referencing the source, other times just rewording the material. It's all the same interview with Hatz.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its the exact same article. All these auto blog do is take the same source material, and repeat it over and over again, sometimes referencing the source, other times just rewording the material. It's all the same interview with Hatz.
Yeah, it is. I misread the quote and thought it was a different quote - he's talking about a hybrid for the all-new 911. He doesn't specify when the turbos will come in, but the inference is that they'll be there for the facelift.

Sorry for confusing the issue.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Porsche runs on the same "tick, tock" strategy as major OS and CPU/chipset vendors. They don't change everything at once. Each 9xx generation brings new body styles, interiors, and major options, but the powertrain is largely unchanged from the last generation. In the succeeding 9xx.2 release the cosmetics are not extensively revised but the new powertrain components are introduced (PDK, DFI, what-have-you).

If they stay true to form, the 981.2 cars will look a lot like the current models but will get the turbo four-bangers. I wouldn't be surprised if manual gearboxes are dropped at that time as well. If you want a factory-new 981 with a normally-aspirated flat six, a stick shift, or both, I would not wait a whole lot longer to buy it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Let me add one more thing. It all really depends on where you are in life. Could this change be horrible for you if it doesn't go well? You have to drive something ... why not a Porsche.

I guess that's why I'm not in marketing. That'd make a heck of a corporate slogan for a car company.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Let me add one more thing. It all really depends on where you are in life. Could this change be horrible for you if it doesn't go well? You have to drive something ... why not a Porsche.
Many will tell you that Porsche hasn't built a real Porsche since the air cooled cars left, or that they are not true dry sump engines anymore. With the death of the NA flat 6, you will hear the same thing, the turbo 4 will not be a real Porsche. The kids won't care, they won't know any better but previous owners will, and they will cry in their beer. :beer:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you to everyone for your input. I am still young and have a lot of life ahead of me. I have always been told to "do it" while I am young because it only gets more difficult with age. I agree with what everyone has to say above and I do want a flat 6 and 6-speed for heritage sake. I am going to go back to the dealer this weekend and see what they are willing to give me on my trade, this could possibly swing me one way or the other. I will keep everyone posted on any updates.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts