Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a salesman at a Porsche dealer take me for a ride in a new Cayman 2.7. Merging into traffic he flored it(pedel to the metal so to speak) in sport mode until the PDK shifted on its own. Looked to be well into the red. He said you can not over rev the PDK on a flat street. (Not going down hill). I know this is terrible for brake in but my question is can a PDK be over rev'd by just keeping the accelerator down until it shifts by itself. What rev range would it show?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Had a salesman at a Porsche dealer take me for a ride in a new Cayman 2.7. Merging into traffic he flored it(pedel to the metal so to speak) in sport mode until the PDK shifted on its own. Looked to be well into the red. He said you can not over rev the PDK on a flat street. (Not going down hill). I know this is terrible for brake in but my question is can a PDK be over rev'd by just keeping the accelerator down until it shifts by itself. What rev range would it show?
No that'd be very silly programming in the PDK. It shifts around redline if you floor it. You also can't overrev it shifting manually.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yes I have seen mine rev all the way to maxed out gauge (1st gear). Kinda freaked me out, but everything is fine. 2.7 PDK

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Does not give me a lot of confidence about how Salesmen treat their new car inventory on demo rides......

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yes, you can rev over redline for a small fraction of a second. It's a pretty amazing feature that makes the transition from manual to PDK that much sweeter. In contrast, an Audi or a VW DSG tranny will force shifts at 6400 RPM when you have a 7000 RPM redline. Those units are undriveable to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I liked it. All the power I need. Plus the $ difference is frosting on the cake. Of course I do not a racer just a cruiser.
I agree, but when you add a few options (that are standard on the S) it's only a little bit more for the S. Not trying to talk you into an S, but it was more cost effective for me. Just throwing that out there.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
Nothing of any consequence or worth mentioning.

Cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does not give me a lot of confidence about how Salesmen treat their new car inventory on demo rides......
Why would you be surprised? Their job is to sell Porsches, to really sell a Porsche you'd need to get the engine going to appreciate the sounds these cars make. They're not going to demo running around below 4200 RPM and say............ "Get one, run it in for 2000 miles and then just wait until you hear the noise............"

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You can't overrev it enough to do any damage. It's computer controlled. Sometimes in manual mode, I'll intentionally not shift until it bounces off the rev limiter a couple times just because it sounds so good when it does. Being an automatic and computer controlled, I'm nearly certain that the computer would interrupt the fuel supply before any damage could be done if you were sitting there with your foot down and never shifting for minutes on end.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Why would you be surprised? Their job is to sell Porsches, to really sell a Porsche you'd need to get the engine going to appreciate the sounds these cars make. They're not going to demo running around below 4200 RPM and say............ "Get one, run it in for 2000 miles and then just wait until you hear the noise............"
That's funny, because when I went on a test drive, the Porsche salesman literally yelled at me. If my car wasn't back at the dealership, I would of pulled over and gotten out of the car and told him to get lost. Now I only do test drives solo. Non negotiable. If the sales manager won't let me take a car out of my own, I'll go buy a car from a different dealership that will.

·
Registered
96 Posts
... an Audi or a VW DSG tranny will force shifts at 6400 RPM when you have a 7000 RPM redline. Those units are undriveable to me.
I have one of those, a small SUV with DSG, so there I don´t look to rev high. Also, because of the turbo, there is no need to rev high. One of several reasons to prefer the 6-cil boxer NA over a 4-cil turbo´d one. Yikes.
Moreover, the turbo lag bothers me every day - EVERY day. I get sick of it. A turbo is the best recipe to drive like an old man (which I am by the way :)).
Just give me a 6 cil boxer PDK (NA) - please - just 2 more month of difficult wait...

Ernst

·
Registered
781 Posts
This thread could not come at a more perfect time.

One of my dad's best friends (corvette guy for 20 plus years) literally drove the crap out of my car this past weekend when he took it for a spin--don't think the car revved less than 4-5k and from what I could see was bouncing into the redline multiple times in the manual mode (I've only redlined a handful of times). The car has never smelled like it did post this spirited driving. It drives fine, but I'm a bit OCD so this bothered me for the last few days...

Glad to see it doesn't really matter and should not affect the engine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes, it's possible. With PDK, if you don't press down past the kick-down position on the accelerator the car won't automatically upshift and it's possible to get Stage 1 & 2 over revs as a result.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
Yes, it can. With PDK if you don't press down passed the kick-down position on the accelerator the car won't automatically upshift and it's possible to get Stage 1 & 2 over revs as a result.
Read the statement and understand Kemosabi !

Cheers

1 - 20 of 30 Posts