Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to run BSP this year but am also switching to Bilstein PSS Damptronics for the adjustable ride height and stiffer setting. Has anyone looked into whether or not this will remain eligible for the Street Prepared category in AX. I thought it did but we have a little disagreement within my club in the interpretation of the SCCA's rule 15.5 on this point.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
What specifically is the disagreement over the interpretation of 15.5?

I've been running in stock classes for 4 years, but ran in ASP for 9 years before that. Like you, I've long thought that aftermarket adjustable coil-over suspension systems such as Bilstein's to be legal in SP classes, as long as they are not adjustable while the car's in motion.

I consider the Bilstein's PSS systems to be a fairly mild upgrade compared to some suspension mods in SP classes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Any shocks any springs.
Sounds like you're legal to me.
, as long as they are not adjustable while the car's in motion.
It does seem pretty straight forward that they should be eligible, but If there is an additional restriction about adjustability while in motion I can see how a case could be made against them.

1 ) pasm/damptronic is always adapting while in motion, 2) a button can firm up or soften back up your suspension at any time. Both could be construed to be a violation of non adjustable suspension during motion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What specifically is the disagreement over the interpretation of 15.5?

I've been running in stock classes for 4 years, but ran in ASP for 9 years before that. Like you, I've long thought that aftermarket adjustable coil-over suspension systems such as Bilstein's to be legal in SP classes, as long as they are not adjustable while the car's in motion.
The disagreement stems from the fact that you can hit the PASM button while on course and that, if you are running aftermarket shocks, this is, according to my club members, in violation of Rule 15.5 which reads:

15.5 SHOCK ABSORBERS
Vehicles may only exceed the allowances of 13.5 as specified herein. . . .
C. Any shock absorbers may be used. . . . No shock absorber may be
capable of adjustment while the car is in motion, unless fitted as
original equipment
. . ...

We have debated the meaning of "No shock absorber may be capable of adjustment while the car is in motion, unless fitted as original equipment." Does it mean:

1. "unless fitted [with an electronic adjustment] as original equipment";
2. "unless fitted [with electronically adjustable shocks] as original
equipment; or
3. "unless [it is the same electronically adjustable shock] fitted as original
equipment.

If it means 1. or 2., we should be allowed to run aftermarket electronically adjustable shocks because our cars came with the (in cabin) PASM button for changing settings on the optional electronically adjustable shocks as original equipment. If it means 3., we wouldn't be allowed to run anything but the OEM electronically adjustable shocks in Street Prepared.

Remembering that Clause 15.5 opens with the statement that "Any shock absorbers may be used", I have suggest that the later portion of this clause should be interpreted in accordance with 1. or 2. above and, therefore, I should be allowed to change to the Bilstein PSS Damptronics. The Minnesota Autosports Club has disagreed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're good in SP... Are you thinking someone is even considering a protest if you do this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're good in SP... Are you thinking someone is even considering a protest if you do this?
I managed to win SS last year. When I talked about some mods and moving to BSP, a few people grumbled (in a friendly way) that they didn't want me to crash their party in BSP by modifying the Cayman. I just wanted to be dead certain that this is the class that I was supposed to be competing just in case some of the grumbling was serious and leads to a protest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
At a National level, a BSP Cayman needs much higher spring rates than the PSS9s provide to be competitive. So, no worries there about a protest. People out of the trophies rarely get protested.

If someone is protesting you locally over the adjustablity its time to take them behind the woodpile and show them your BFH. The idea of using the PASM button while on course is absurd. Why would you ever want "comfort" damping on course?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am looking to run BSP this year but am also switching to Bilstein PSS Damptronics for the adjustable ride height and stiffer setting. Has anyone looked into whether or not this will remain eligible for the Street Prepared category in AX. I thought it did but we have a little disagreement within my club in the interpretation of the SCCA's rule 15.5 on this point.
Not legal.

If the car comes stock with continuously adjustable shocks (PASM, Vette ZR1, F430, etc), you can still run the stock shocks in Street Prepared.

However, if you get a different set of non-stock shocks with electronic control (B16 Bilstein, Cargraphics, etc), it is not legal in any SCCA AutoX class.

Rule 15.5 refers to adjustability of bump/rebound during a run, whether it is driver adjusted (pushing buttons) or self-adjusted (PASM does this).

In any case, a BSP Boxster/Cayman need better shocks than B16 and stiffer springs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.