Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a video of the concept Mission R car from a recent Porsche livestream at the IAA Motorshow. Considering the Mission E concept became the Taycan, and Porsche has been hinting at an all electric Cayman soon, could this possibly be the car that it all trickles down from? They do hint about this during the discussion a bit with a "stay tuned" teaser.

Some may recall seeing a thread here some months ago with some track testing pics of Porsche testing a Cayman mule with widebody fender flares on it. This looks to be confirmation of that design, at least for the race version. Skip to 10 minutes for the marketing video and car

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's so perfect that Im worried for it... BTW It looks way more 987 than 718 or 981.

Im worried that they will narrow it or do some blunting to the design. Please Porsche, just close up some cutoffs like behind the rear wheels and leave the proportion. It's 11/10.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree on the 987 feel. I do love the widebody like they have also now done on all 911 models. This rendering of the E Boxster seems to also have some similar features as well as the wider appearing stance. I dont think it will be long before we see the real deal. They were talking 2022 a few years ago, but Im sure Covid knocked that back a bit, so now the rumors are a 2024 model which would be released about a year from now if so.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Boski, I'm not seeing 987, in fact the front looks Mazda-ish to me. Having said that it's a pretty design. Now if you'll all excuse me I have to go execute some of my broker's stock picks: Champion spark plugs, Mahle pistons and Acrapovik exhaust systems . Sit on it twenty years and that's when the "big bucks" start a rollin in! :geek:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The front end is directly from the current Taycan, and I expect that they will carry that same design through all of the E models. I know many guys are drawing a line in the sand when it comes to electric, but sub 3 second Cayman/Boxster might change a few minds once driven.

Its the path the auto industry is on as a whole whether we like it or not. Refusing to accept it and the end result will be no different than those who claimed the first ICE powered cars would never replace the horse and carriage. E cars are pretty much where those first ICE cars were back then when there wasnt really any infrastructure to fuel them, but that will ultimately change as well and be just as common as the current gas station model we have now.

I think a complete abandonment of ICE autos is further out than many are claiming, so it will be interesting to see if and for how long Porsche will continue to produce our cars in both E and ICE. Its seems that this would be very difficult from a cost/manpower and development standpoint, and they will be forced to chose a side at some point whether the public is ready or not

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I see a little bit of difference here. I have no doubts whatsoever that BEV/Fuel cell will replace ICE for necessity - meaning for transportation of people and goods. That process is going on right now as we speak. But Porsche doesn't operate on Necessity continent. Porsche (and quite a few others) operate on Me Wants and Gottahaveit continents. If you think about it, hardly anybody transports anything with horses anymore, but quite a few use them for fun and racing.

I am the first one in line for transportation using BEV when my current ICE-powered grocery getter gets ripe for replacement. Since it costs me literally nothing* but gasoline to operate it (knock on wood), I cannot justify replacement just because EGolf (or ID4 or whatever) blows its socks off in acceleration. Who cares. Appliance.

But useless contraptions with no other utility but to elicit most mammal or generally animal of emotions and experiences to the person operating it? I am far from sure that just otherworldly performance is going to cut it for me. It will be just like F1 racing - first you need a generation who knows what was truly fun to die off and new generation will know no different and embrace it. In my opinion. That will mean that the generation born just about now will seek and largely appreciate useless contraptions called sports cars powered by noiseless and vibration-less means. Those who tried and experienced "the real thing"? I wouldn't be so sure about that. Peace out.

*EDIT: Once you try maintaining 981 for 6-8 events per year tracking duty, 10,000 miles/year grocery getter is costing only gasoline. Question of perspective.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm there with your way of thinking for the most part Cinci. I have a little Chevy econobox hatchback that is my 4 banger grocery getter. Its also big enough to haul basic things around from Home Depot, etc when needed with the rear seats folded down. Its already simply an uninspiring "tool" that I use for these task, and I get about 280 miles per tank with my mostly in town usage.

Ive already decided that it will be replaced with a similar electric model, as I can easily charge in the garage at home and never leave the house without a full charge. I rarely if ever drive my car more than 150 miles at a time in the years I've owned it, so the available EV range today is perfect for my needs, and I dont plan on ever needing to charge away from home which removes that angst.

On the other hand my Porsche is just a toy for fun. I routinely put 200-300 miles on it at a time on mountain trips, so I dont see myself spending high Dollars on any sort of EV sports car anytime soon. Two different cars for two different purposes and experiences, and a smaller more cost effective EV can easily replace my current grocery getter when the time comes, and just makes sense in my particular case

·
Registered
284 Posts
Boski, I'm not seeing 987, in fact the front looks Mazda-ish to me. Having said that it's a pretty design. Now if you'll all excuse me I have to go execute some of my broker's stock picks: Champion spark plugs, Mahle pistons and Acrapovik exhaust systems . Sit on it twenty years and that's when the "big bucks" start a rollin in! :geek:
Right, I am thinking about the proportion of the car, it's stubbier/shorter.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
710 Posts
From the side I’m seeing R8. This is a sample of the future… as you would guess, it’s pretty perfect. And as mentioned above, DON’T water the lines down… this looks awesome

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the Mission R is amazing looking. This is most likely the race trim, I'd bet the street going version won't have the gorgeous roof or the open vents behind the wheels. It looks smaller than the 981 maybe closer to the 718 Spyder's height. I can't wait to see the final version. Sorry I skipped thru the video as I'm supposed to be working rn.

·
Registered
759 Posts
#NotMyBoxster

1 - 12 of 12 Posts