Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll try to make this brief. Back in October, I put some feelers out to all of the dealerships in my state and the surrounding ones, looking for the best deal on a build. The best deal came from a dealer about 2 hours away. I had and still have no interest in making the trip to pick up the car, when it arrives at the dealer. I made this known at the very beginning to the sales person, and at the time I placed my order for a build, he assured me that if I really didn't want to come pick it up, we could have it shipped from his dealer to me, after they get it. He said they had a company they use for this sort of thing and offered to get a quote for me.
Fast forward to this week, the vessel carrying may car is set to dock in Houston on Friday, and the dealer expects to have the car next week. So the business manager called me today to discuss financing. I declined all of his extra "options" like the coatings and treatments and all of that stuff they push at the end. It seemed to go smoothly and was really painless. At the end of our talk, he tells me that he can't just ship my car without someone from the dealership witnessing me sign the paperwork. He said it was because they have arrangements with their banks and he can't just let me sign the paperwork remotely. He said he could ask the sales person to drive to me and witness the signing, but implied that was very unlikely and me coming to them was really the only option.
So, I am annoyed. Did the sales person not know the "rules" at the time he told me it wouldn't be a problem? Is the business manager being dishonest? What's the deal? Is it just because they're doing the financing, and the rules are different? One of my closest friends who lives in Ft. Worth bought a BMW from a dealer in North Carolina, and he's never even flown over NC, much less stepped foot in the state. And they certainly didn't send someone out to witness him sign paperwork.
Help please

·
Registered
773 Posts
It very well might be a requirment from the bank. But, you're buying a near $100,000 car, why wouldn't you travel to the dealer to complete the process? What if something's not right with it? Plus, to me, that's a big part of the enjoyment. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
My dealer was about 2 hours away. I had a friend drive me down and made the trip home closer to a 4 hour affair and enjoyed every minute of it. :)

Not that it helps clear anything up... but I strongly suggest you find a way to get there in person to pick it up and make an event of it. The drive back will be a great time to familiarize yourself with the car. Unless it's too cold there. I have no idea what Oklahoma is like. :D

·
Registered
966 Posts
The rules might vary by state. However, I bought my car from a dealership in Florida. I live in Portland, OR, about 3000 miles away. The whole transaction including delivery was done remotely.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Who is inspecting the car for you before you sign the paperwork? Once you sign, you own the car whether you like everything or not. Just make the trip, you will get to spend 2 hours driving the car you wouldn't otherwise, get to see it that much sooner, and get a few miles on it towards the break-in period. Do you really want to risk a stranger delivering your new Porsche?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is a true first world problem when its just entirely too much to drive 2 hours to pick up a new sports car. I seriously can't imagine going through the aggravation to arrange shipping and fighting with the dealer to avoid the drive.

I drove 650 miles to get mine and was happy to do it. :dance:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Gotta ask---what dealer and where in Oklahoma are you? Rarely see Oklahomans on the forums!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
A) Nice one 981FTW
B) I think the dealer is being dumb. I bought my (former) used $16K 2002 Boxster S from a dealership an hour and a half away from my house. Never stepped of foot in the place. They drove the car to my house for the test drive and then drove the car back to my house a few days later...with paperwork....for the purchase. No idea why your dealer is being a pain.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
lulz aside:
1. It's odd someone buying a sports car wouldn't want to drive a couple hours to pick it up.
2. Then again, there may be circumstances which totally warrant the arrangement.
3. Still, an agreement is supposed to be agreement. Remember when our handshake was enough?
4. In other words, despite my lampooning, I think the sales manager is an asshat.
5. But it still appears to be a first world problem.

Reactions: fast1

·
Registered
245 Posts
A) Nice one 981FTW
B) I think the dealer is being dumb. I bought my (former) used $16K 2002 Boxster S from a dealership an hour and a half away from my house. Never stepped of foot in the place. They drove the car to my house for the test drive and then drove the car back to my house a few days later...with paperwork....for the purchase. No idea why your dealer is being a pain.
Yes, but did you finance the car? If a bank is loaning someone nearly $100k, they get to make certain rules.

If signing in person is a hardship, then maybe the OP can ask for a different finance option with a different bank. Or the OP could find his/her own local bank to do the deal and that bank can deal with the dealer remotely. Those are both options.

Or the OP could just suffer the awful experience of driving a brand new Porsche for a couple of hours. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
My dealer is 2 1/2 hours away and does free valet service, meaning they will pick up my car, leave me a loaner, then return it when the service is done. Still, when I first bought the car, I had to be there to do all the paperwork, inspect the car, and have the salesman give me an instructional session.

I have had new cars delivered to me and have done the paperwork at home, but that isn't how it worked with the Porsche. A 2 hour trip to pick up a new Porsche really doesn't seem like a big deal ... in fact it can be a very positive part of the whole purchase experience. I realize this isn't what you were originally told, but you shouldn't let it compromise such an exciting time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I ordered my G35c back in 2006 from a dealership in Texas (live in WA). Everything was handled remotely. Car was delivered via truck to my house. Inspected it as best I could before accepting delivery. Turned out perfectly. When shopping for my GTS, I almost ordered from a dealer in New Jersey. They offered a significant discount compared to the local dealer that even with delivery, I would have come out $1k ahead. In the end, I decided I didn't want to risk it with such an expensive car and wanted to create a relationship with my local dealer as this was my first, but probably not my last Porsche.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The dealer is just being lazy! I bought a Ford Raptor 1 time 320 miles away. They personally drove it to me singed in my house and they left! I know my local Porsche dealer has a trailer and they are always delivering cars. The only thing it could be is maybe Obama made a new regulation that all cars over $$90 k must be picked up in person!!!

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
The dealer is just being lazy! I bought a Ford Raptor 1 time 320 miles away. They personally drove it to me singed in my house and they left! I know my local Porsche dealer has a trailer and they are always delivering cars. The only thing it could be is maybe Obama made a new regulation that all cars over $$90 k must be picked up in person!!!
Was that necessary? I come here to get away from politics.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
They personally drove it to me singed in my house and they left!
While it was nice of them to go to the effort, I'd have been rather upset if they left it singed. I mean... I could understand if it were a Ferrari or a GT3, but a Raptor?? Those should be more robust!! :D

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
... maybe Obama made a new regulation that all cars over $$90 k must be picked up in person!!!
I read that as humor but gfspencer is correct. Political discussion is not permitted here. In the future, please refrain from bringing in politics, even if humorous. Its a lose lose situation as nobody wins.

For the OP, whatever happened to your friend is not relevant to your situation nor any other anecdotal stories from elsewhere.

It does not surprise me in the least that you have to sign in person since you chose to use their financing. It also doesn't surprise me that the SA does not understand how the financing side of the house works and did not convey this information to you initially. They are likely different departments, different people. Now you know. So I guess if you want the car, you take a trip. If the SA REALLY wants to sell the car to you, then they will send someone to you. I guess what matters now is who wants whatever they want the most, the SA selling the car to you or you wanting that car. But I don't think that there is some nefarious plot to get you in some way. It is what it is.

Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem IMHO. I'm thinking you can have it Notarize on both parties to make the contract valid. Usually pay cash when mail ordering cars.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Was that necessary? I come here to get away from politics.
Agreed. But in all honesty there may well be a regulation that does not allow you to sign a loan for that amount not being in person. You can no longer do stated income loans and banks have a bunch of new rules they must follow. He asked why maybe this is a ligeitment reason.
It's kind of the same reason we in the US can not get the Club Sport Pakage due to the DOT. No roll bars here. Please do not get me wrong I am not trying to start Poltiiacal talk but it could be a real possibility to this person problem.

Next time I will awnser more in a direct manor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts