Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to the drag strip with a few Mustang friends and decided to try a few passes in the CS. The car got a lot of looks especially from the import crowd as it was the only Porsche there. It is documented that this is a 13 second car and I just wanted to duplicate that once before hanging it up. Keep in mind that I am by no means a professional/regular track driver. It was pretty hot and humid that night. I ran a total of 8 passes throughout the night. First pass was 14.9 sec at 100 mph. They got better by a few tenths each pass then I plateaued at 14.1 for a few passes. I started to doubt if it was going to be possible for me to get her into the 13's. Last pass was 13.9 sec at 103 mph. My competition that last pass was a sleeper diesel Dodge pickup that ran it in 12.5 sec. :burnout:No doubt that a cooler temp and an experienced driver could hit mid to low 13's in this car. Well, I have retired this 13 sec car from the drag strip and I have the time slip in the glove box to prove it. Just one of many great driving experiences hopefully to come.

2007 Cayman S M/T Stock

·
Registered
303 Posts
i was able to hit 13.2 my first time at the track last summer, i only ran 3-4 passes. i think i could get it close to 13 flat with a better launch. might give it another go this summer

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
The CS, at least stock, is not a very good drag racing car. But if you must:

• What was your launch rpm?
  • Did you drop the clutch for the launch or slip it?
  • What rpm did you shift at, redline?
  • What was your shifting technique? How long did it take you execute a shift? Did you lift from the throttle or not?
  • Did you get any axle hop?
  • What was the air pressure you were running in the tires, front and rear?
  • How many miles on your car?
  • Do you have Sport Chrono?

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
The 2009 Boxster S w/ PDK and launch control easily did 12.6 stock in articles in Car & Driver and Road & Track about a year ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i think every tracks are just different. My friend's civic did 13's on one track and 15's on the other, so i guess it's hard to say.

however, since you said that ur time improve everytime, could just be ur driving..

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
[*]What was your launch rpm?
[*]Did you drop the clutch for the launch or slip it?
[*]What rpm did you shift at, redline?
[*]What was your shifting technique? How long did it take you execute a shift? Did you lift from the throttle or not?
[*]Did you get any axle hop?
[*]What was the air pressure you were running in the tires, front and rear?
I'm very much interested in learning what's the right way to do the above questions.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I'm very much interested in learning what's the right way to do the above questions.
Actually, you didn't quote one of the most important questions, whether or not you have the Sport Chrono option. The "soft" rev limiter you get without Sport Chrono lops off the last couple hundred rpm from the car's effective rev range. I haven't tested it, but that has to be worth a tenth or three in the quarter mile. Haven't you ever noticed how the press cars Porsche submits to magazines always has Sport Chrono? (And they always get panned for having a $900 stop watch. :) )

On cars like the '07 CS, in other words cars that don't have an LSD and are prone to axle hop, tuning tire pressures can make a lot of difference. For starters, pumping up the front tires, to perhaps 44 PSI, reduces rolling resistance. On the rears, reducing pressures to increase traction sometimes works better.

Regarding axle hop, the best advice is don't allow it. If you feel anything but very mild hop - my advice is to abort the run. Axle hop can damage the car. The car magazines don't always mention that they tolerate a lot of axle hop to get the times they do on Porsches.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
The 2009 Boxster S w/ PDK and launch control easily did 12.6 stock in articles in Car & Driver and Road & Track about a year ago.
That was impressive. 12.6 is about what a 2005-2007 Corvette with 400hp (and roughly the same weight as the CS) will do. But the '09 test car has some advantages over the '07 in question. Like the new engine, which is so much stronger in the important midrange, PDK gearing, which is about 10% lower than with a manual, Sport Chrono, and the PDK itself, which power shifts. The '09+ manuals seem to always come in at about 12.9-13.1 in the magazine tests, so PDK seems to be the way to go for drag strip use.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
thank you Blueone for your valuable input... I do have the sport chrono+, thank God now that it is of value other than wasting the money on a useless stopwatch !

I'm interested to hear your answer for the following questions:
What was your launch rpm?
Did you drop the clutch for the launch or slip it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
God love us. We take one of the best sports cars made for road course use and stick it on the drag strip. It doesn't matter what the primary purpose of a car is, we want to know what it does in the Quarter!

Are these great days or what?

I think it was Henry Ford who said that the first race happened the day they made the second car.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I'm interested to hear your answer for the following questions:
What was your launch rpm?
Did you drop the clutch for the launch or slip it?
Actually, I don't know the right answers, because I don't drive my CS like that. I can only make educated guesses. (My drag strip experience is with other cars.) For cars like the CS, with relatively low torque at relatively high rpm you probably need to launch at high rpm (4000 rpm?) and slip the clutch, just like the PDK does. Yuck. If the OP launched at 2500 and dumped the clutch, for example, he may want to try a different technique.

It would also be interesting to know if he staged shallow or deep.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is the 60ft time on your slip? That will give an indication of how much is still left on the table/dragstrip.
60 ft. time is 2.2121 sec.

I launched between 4000 and 4500 and no chrono. First few I dumped cluch not knowing any better. Friend tried to explain know to properly engage and it seemed to hook better without hop. I tried shifting at several different rpm's from redline to 6500. I was hitting redline in 3rd right before the finish and needed to shift into 4th most passes.

While I would not repeatedly put my car through this, it was fun. I definately also want to drive on a road course and from what I have read that is what this car was built for. My whole goal was to see if I could get a pass in the 13's. I did not think it would be as hard as it was to duplicate these magazine published numbers. Driver skill comes into play more than I expected on a 1/4 mile track.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was able to hit 13.2 my first time at the track last summer, i only ran 3-4 passes. i think i could get it close to 13 flat with a better launch. might give it another go this summer
That is an awesome time. Is your car stock?

As far as slipping the clutch, yes it made me cringe when my friend was describing how to improve my launch. He said this is a must on street tires. It made a huge difference on times but I do not think this is good for any car let alone my car.

8500 miles on odo.

I staged shallow to avoid redlighting. I left on last yellow and had some good reaction times. The best was .1244 sec. That pass my friend crossed the line first but I still won on the slip. I guess reaction time or final mph has something to do with how it determines winner. I had a quicker reaction time and was 3 mph higher than him a finish but he crossed first.

·
Registered
570 Posts
While I've never been one to enjoy drag racing, I can respect the skill it takes to get a good time. Based on my very small drag knowledge, there's lots of room for improvement in your 60' time and thus in your 1/4 time. I seem to recall a 1.6 / 1.7 60' as very solid. The car should be easily good for a 13.5 or better 1/4 with a good launch.

·
Registered
303 Posts

As far as slipping the clutch, yes it made me cringe when my friend was describing how to improve my launch. He said this is a must on street tires. It made a huge difference on times but I do not think this is good for any car let alone my car.

8500 miles on odo.

I staged shallow to avoid redlighting. I left on last yellow and had some good reaction times. The best was .1244 sec. That pass my friend crossed the line first but I still won on the slip. I guess reaction time or final mph has something to do with how it determines winner. I had a quicker reaction time and was 3 mph higher than him a finish but he crossed first.
tks, but i felt i could do better since magazines run as fast or faster on stock cars. mine is not stock, i had SRP and an awe exhaust at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts

8500 miles on odo.

It is not obvious what you're doing wrong. In fact, you seem to have covered most of the bases. How much wheel hop were you getting? Any hop between 1st and 2nd?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.