Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning gentlemen,

A few days ago I visited my local dealer to ask about springs and spacers for my car. Turned out they don't have OEM lowering springs and only have 5mm spacers. I've decided to order aftermarket eibach's and 15mm spacers online and have them installed at the dealer, they were fine with it but have notified me that the warranty will no longer be valid. At first I thought that they meant that any warranty work to do with springs is no longer valid but then they stated that also the engine/gearbox/electronic/etc will not be valid. I was like fine, I will order your OEM 5mm spacers, they were like it will void the warranty too. Is that even right?

Oh and I asked them to remove the seatbelt warning chime, they gave me a disclaimer to sign and the first point was "You will forfeit your warranty".

What the hell? Now i'm stuck, I want to order my springs and spacers and can't. How will my spacers affect my gearbox? my engine? my PCM? my A/C?

I'm so pissed off.

·
Registered
386 Posts
They were pissing you off!!!
I bought my H&R lower springs from my dealer and let them installed for free when I was buying my Cayman. No problem at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
They were pissing you off!!!
I bought my H&R lower springs from my dealer and let them installed for free when I was buying my Cayman. No problem at all.
wwjd, keep in mind that DrKareem does not live in the USA. At least here we have the Magnusson-Moss Act which provides some degree of protection for car owners and third party repairs/service/modifications.

DrKareem, I would suggest you look at the laws of your own country and see if there is anything that affords similar protections.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to give the floor manager a call and see what he says, if not.. i'm emailing Porsche HQ

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got off the phone with the manager, he stated that if I buy the OEM 5mm and install them in the dealership then my warranty is still on.

Does the OEM 5mm package come as front and rear or only rear?

You guys think it will look good with my Carerra S type II 19s?

I also asked for lowering springs, he says the only way is to ask porsche to build me ones that lower the car by 10mm, i'm guessing PASM springs but not being adaptive?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
The 5mm spacers go on all 4 wheels and you get longer bolts to use as well.

In my opinion, I can't tell any difference visually with the OEM spacers and I've really tried by looking at cars equipped with them at the dealer...

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,765 Posts
The 5mm spacers go on all 4 wheels and you get longer bolts to use as well.

In my opinion, I can't tell any difference visually with the OEM spacers and I've really tried by looking at cars equipped with them at the dealer...
+1 I don't think you will be able to tell a difference. I have 5 MM spacers on my rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so it's not really worth the $350?

if only I can go aftermarket and still keep my warranty.. oh well..

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
+1 to all the responses. If you are getting the spacers just for looks then 5mm just isn't worth it - especially at the prices Porsche charges. 5mm is less than 0.25 inches. You won't be able to tell the difference.

Why not buy and install aftermarket spacers on your own? Spacers are just about the easiest mod you can do - all you need are the requisite wheel changing tools and longer lug bolts. Then you can simply remove the spacers when you need to take the car in to the dealer for service. Make sure you keep your OEM lug bolts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
+1 I don't think you will be able to tell a difference. I have 5 MM spacers on my rear wheels.
+1 +1 ..... I was thinking about the spacers for my build but opted not to do them. I stared at a Cayman with the 5mm spacers for a while and then one without....very hard to tell the difference. IMHO.....If you did do the 5mm spacers, even someone familiar with the Cayman, when seeing your car won't say "Hmmm, there is something unique and different about that one."

·
Registered
620 Posts
Why not buy and install aftermarket spacers on your own?... Then you can simply remove the spacers when you need to take the car in
+1. OR you could just buy wider wheels and use the same logic. Also, there is nothing adaptive about the PASM springs themselves (just the dampers)- they are just a bit shorter and stiffer. They will install fine on your struts - but I'm not sure the dealer will condone. Then again - they'd have to really be looking for them to realize they're not standard. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
+1. OR you could just buy wider wheels and use the same logic. Also, there is nothing adaptive about the PASM springs themselves (just the dampers)- they are just a bit shorter and stiffer. They will install fine on your struts - but I'm not sure the dealer will condone. Then again - they'd have to really be looking for them to realize they're not standard. Good luck.
That's the other thing...installing the OEM PASM springs will get you what, 10mm of drop? Less than half an inch, and likely barely noticeable. Again, if this is purely for looks, it's hardly worth the effort or cost. IMO the ideal drop on this car is 1-1.2 inches, and no more than 1.4 inches or you'll be scraping everything on the ground all day long. :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hmmm, that's odd! Especially considering that Porsche warranty is international and the dealer shouldnt be the one setting the rules. Guess some dealers are more friendly that others then!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Hmmm, that's odd! Especially considering that Porsche warranty is international and the dealer shouldnt be the one setting the rules. Guess some dealers are more friendly that others then!
I doubt Porsche's warranty being international has anything to do with it. If you showed up at your dealership with your car throwing CELs and your dealer noticed you installed aftermarket catless headers and had reflashed your ECU, do you think they'd do any repairs under warranty?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I doubt Porsche's warranty being international has anything to do with it. If you showed up at your dealership with your car throwing CELs and your dealer noticed you installed aftermarket catless headers and had reflashed your ECU, do you think they'd do any repairs under warranty?
You're right, but that's not what I meant. I was referring to the fact that they initially said their own OEM spacers would void the entire warranty. And the same about the springs. If they were that uptight they should at most say the springs would deny warranty for the suspension!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
You're right, but that's not what I meant. I was referring to the fact that they initially said their own OEM spacers would void the entire warranty. And the same about the springs. If they were that uptight they should at most say the springs would deny warranty for the suspension!
True. That part is fishy, and incredibly uptight of the dealership if true.

EDIT: still, now that I think about it, I would guess that Porsche gives it dealer network a certain degree of discretion in choosing what they're willing to cover under warranty when it comes to non-original options. Maybe what the dealer meant to say was that they're willing to install Porsche spacers and springs, but they wouldn't be covered under warranty if something happened to them specifically.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Ultimately it's not the dealer that decides warranty coverage, but Porsche. A dealer will not get a prospective commitment from Porsche if it would provide warranty coverage should an aftermarket part be installed (nor will you), so the dealer has some risk here. Your dealer is apparently paranoid about having to pay for a future denied warranty claim if it incorrectly tells you you're covered. Logic is irrelevant.

The installation of an oem option (e.g. 5mm spacers) obviously won't alter your warranty, as acknowledged once you reached a dealer rep with a brain.

Absent applicable consumer protection laws (as cited above for the US), the dealer can protect itself with disclaimers as it wishes, but that doesn't mean that Porsche won't honor your warranty. It does mean you probably shouldn't rely on your spineless dealer to back you up with Porsche, which may leave you on the hook.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Seriously, I wonder how many enthusiasts/owners have had success reverting the dealers decision by calling out Magnusson-Moss? I think it's easy to say/advise others on the Magnusson-Moss, but I think most of us just f' it and take the car to another dealer. True?

E.g., my CDR-24 just died again (won't power on)... I have the Alpine RDS FM modulator installed for an iPod (integration via antenna only). I'm on the fence about disconnecting the Alpine antenna before bringing the car to the dealer. My fiancee tells me dealer can't say the radio defect is caused by the FM modulator. True, but if the dealer wants to play hardball,... I don't think it's unreasonable for them to note the modification in the system, thus black listing my radio from factory warranty. Far fetched scenario?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I would go for aftermarket spacers and just remove them when taking it to the dealers.

How hard is the install and removal? Can I do it at home just before going to the dealer? Or do I need special tools?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That's the other thing...installing the OEM PASM springs will get you what, 10mm of drop? Less than half an inch, and likely barely noticeable. Again, if this is purely for looks, it's hardly worth the effort or cost. IMO the ideal drop on this car is 1-1.2 inches, and no more than 1.4 inches or you'll be scraping everything on the ground all day long. :)
I've read on this site that a drop of this magnitude without other suspension modifications will adversely afffect handling?;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts