Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who are likely not going to track their car, and are really just looking to get the car that brings them the most driving enjoyment around town and on the road, I ask:

Is the Gt4 the right choice or is it too much car for the street and so may actually be less enjoyable as a road car?

A test drive would obviously help me in answering this, but not likely that's going to happen anytime soon so it'd be great to hear the perspectives of those who have one or have driven one, on this question.

Reactions: GetALife75

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Just from the viewpoint of practicality, the GTS would be a better street car than a GT4. The clearance on a GT4 is so low that undercarriage damage is inevitable. I agree that a test drive of a GT4 is not likely to happen for a long, long time.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It is not an easy car to use on a daily basis.
The clearance issue is real. I have issues with a Cayman S with X-73 on a frequent basis. THe GT4 will be kissing most driveway entrances that have an incline.
This is the primary issue.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
Just got my GT4 on Sat.

The exhaust drama really makes the car fun even at low speed which is nice because it will help to prevent some speeding tickets.

The low stance and aggressive front end is awesome, but the low clearance at the front is a real pain already after just a few days driving.
The relatively long front overhang is not helping that.

I REALLY love the whole package, but it REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY needs a nose lift option. Porsche are you listening???????
Heck, even McLaren listened to customer feedback on one forum about the same thing and acted accoringly.

Alternatively maybe I could raise it 10mm via the adjustable coilovers???

Aside from that I plan to use it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It is not an easy car to use on a daily basis.
The clearance issue is real. I have issues with a Cayman S with X-73 on a frequent basis. THe GT4 will be kissing most driveway entrances that have an incline.
This is the primary issue.
This is untrue for me. My 981 CS x73 scraped more than my GT4 has. It is low but scraping has not been an issue for me.

A test drive would obviously help me in answering this, but not likely that's going to happen anytime soon so it'd be great to hear the perspectives of those who have one or have driven one, on this question.
You could fly to Porsche Driving Experience in Atlanta (Master the Manual) and test drive both the CGTS and GT4. Might cost a bit but it would also be a fun trip.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I really don't think you can rely on others comments here. Everyone has different commutes, roads, tolerances, needs, wants, hot buttons. Add to that the 'halo' effect of anyone who has just bought a GT4, GTS, S, base and their personal bias to self justify how great it is.

You'll have to drive them yourself to decide (which may be near impossible).

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
This is untrue for me. My 981 CS x73 scraped more than my GT4 has. It is low but scraping has not been an issue for me.

Have you been to a gas station yet? You have a big advantage over me since I have never driven a GT4, but I have examined one closely at my local Porsche dealership, and I can't see how I could drive up the inclines to any of the gas stations near me without scrapping.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would say it highly depends on your roads and amount of traffic you face. I have been leaving home at just after 6am to bypass the morning traffic and be able to enjoy the GT4. My daily driver is a stage 1 modified Golf GTI Mk7, which to be honest, is a more fun daily driver in heavy traffic and short roads where you can't get the RPM up high to enjoy the GT4.

Having been lucky enough to drive different types of cars, I'd say the Cayman GTS in PDK is a better daily driver. I think the GT4 is like any other Cayman in heavy traffic. It is a car more enjoyed on the track.

I also think the clearance issue is being blown way out of proportion :)

·
Registered
540 Posts

Have you been to a gas station yet? You have a big advantage over me since I have never driven a GT4, but I have examined one closely at my local Porsche dealership, and I can't see how I could drive up the inclines to any of the gas stations near me without scrapping.

I have been to the gas station many times as I did not get the extended range fuel tank. Every time I pulled out of my driveway my Cs x73 would scrape. I have scraped just once with the GT4. Maybe my car came setup higher than others? All this is going to change as I am getting ready to change over to a more track oriented setup.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just drove my GT4 over 4000 km's all over Western Canada and NW USA and the front scraping is really not an issue as long as you are aware of gas station entrances/drive ways. Some light scrapes will happen but it doesn't keep me from driving the car wherever I feel like it
For me, car is comfortable for long distances, the longest single trip was 8.5 hours other than gas stops, no drama.

The tires in heavy rain are more of a worry for me (it rained 6 out of my 8 day trip...)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Interesting. Porsche says the GT4 is 10mm lower than the X-73 option.

You could fly to Porsche Driving Experience in Atlanta (Master the Manual) and test drive both the CGTS and GT4. Might cost a bit but it would also be a fun trip.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
It would be hard to say whether the GT4 is "too much car" for general road use, as everyone perceives this differently.

...but I suspect the OEM Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are a poor choice for general road use. Higher performance tires provide their higher performance at higher temperatures. Below that optimum operating temperature, they can provide even LESS traction than lower performance tires. This includes DOT-legal tires, and even DOT-legal tires that come as an OEM fitment on regular production automobiles. An extreme example of this would be the Pirelli Trofeo R tires that come on the Z28, which, even if they are DOT street legal, are completely unsuitable for general road use, and probably a little slippery when cold.

Another MAJOR concern is temperature- Michelin recommends that you not even attempt to MOVE a vehicle equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (the tires that the GT4 comes with), if it's too cold, at the risk of TIRE FAILURE brought on by attempting to drive on cracked tires.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well I don't have a gt4 but can say that enjoyment is relative on personal sanity and depends on the person plus indended use.

For a daily driver, I think a 2.7 base model lightly optioned is the way to go. It's going to cost 1/2 as much as a gt4 and have 90% cabability. Thing is, someone buying a gt4 isn't even considering cost, so my wat of thinking will not apply....because of course money is not a factory a gt4 is a better car.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
All depends on your personality.

Some people find even the 997 C2S was too jarring, while I found it quite nice to drive a 997.1 GT3 around town. An RS? I've never driven one, so I wouldn't know. I actually find the GT3 just right for me. I would think anything more hardcore would be tiring.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I just drove my GT4 over 4000 km's all over Western Canada and NW USA and the front scraping is really not an issue as long as you are aware of gas station entrances/drive ways. Some light scrapes will happen but it doesn't keep me from driving the car wherever I feel like it
For me, car is comfortable for long distances, the longest single trip was 8.5 hours other than gas stops, no drama.

The tires in heavy rain are more of a worry for me (it rained 6 out of my 8 day trip...)
Tass-- I LOVE that photo! As my kids would say,it's dirty!! In teenager language that means it's really cool!

·
Registered
766 Posts

The GT4 looks too clean for that road. Dare to drift :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
For those of us who are likely not going to track their car, and are really just looking to get the car that brings them the most driving enjoyment around town and on the road, I ask:
Is the Gt4 the right choice or is it too much car for the street and so may actually be less enjoyable as a road car?

We have a 981 CS, and we have had our GT4 for 2 weeks and 500 miles. In the city the GT4 won't seem exceptional, but no sports car is made for city driving. If you take the car on roads where performance cars can perform, then the GT4 is much more car and more fun. I would not say the GT4 is 'too much car' for any driving.

As others have mentioned, I have not had a lot of scraping issues. You need to be more careful with the GT4, but surprisingly, it is not much different than our 981CS.

Attachments

Reactions: baege

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
more enjoyable? depends on what you want to use it for? more exciting,yes! carl
I am really looking for the best road car, and by best I mean the car that will bring me the most grins per mile, capture my consciousness and make me lust after driving it again the most. That's the metric that matters most to me, as I really discovered lately with my brief stray into a C7.
That car had rockstar looks and power, but in terms of grins per mile and lust to drive it again, it didn't compare to my 981CS.

Gt4 being more exciting sounds good:)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts